Bid Vax deal of the day - not a bargain

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Good question! Perhaps we'll all have to poke fun at Ideal World instead, but that's boring by comparison and there's very little to poke fun at over there. However I would rather have no Bid and Price-drop than something that continues to rip off unsuspecting buyers as well as selling very little that people actually want to buy (as is currently the case).

Having said that, there's no theoretical reason why there can't be an entertaining shopping channel that somehow makes a profit, like Bid and Price-drop were as recently as 2008 or even later (I think)? Of course they won't be the cheapest place to buy but if it's entertaining to watch with great on-screen personalities, customer service, quick delivery and gives viewers the chance to buy exclusive products then it might just work.

To be honest I don't remember a halcyon day. I did rather like Lynn Taylor when she was on, very professional and rather cute too. It's always been fairly naff from what I remember but that said, I've never felt the need to stick the boot in like some seem to enjoy. I work on the basis that I'm not going to start worrying about anyone who actively chooses to buy resin Buddhas whatever the price of the phonecall and postage might be!

Shock Horror! Company sells product that is available either slightly cheaper or dearer elsewhere depending where you go and consumers exercise free will and buy from the retailer that isn't the cheapest. Let's all orchestrate an anonymous hate campaign against the evil channel and it's sales people after consumers have actively tuned in and sought out it's content and voluntarily parted with their own money without any duress, and pretend that we hate the presenters and the output despite secretly loving it and spending hours of our own time watching it and commenting on it on online forums.

lol, i admit i watch the channels for short spurts inbetween other telly and of course you're right, they are free to sell at whatever price they wish and it's up to the consumer to make an informed purchase. however using the OPs product example, i'd say a saving of £40-ish in this price bracket is more than a slight saving, granted the bid price is still cheaper than many other retailers. we should also bear in mind they constantly use words like 'bargain' and again, whilst appreciating other retailers abuse the english language, i fail to see where the bargain lies in this example and others where you pay £8 p&p per item even for smaller/cheaper items. the word 'bargain' is defined along lines of 'a thing bought or offered for sale much more cheaply than is usual or expected' so doesn't always apply to their products and definitely not to their p&p in high majority of cases.

not denying i enjoy watching ... doesn't mean i can't raise what i see as issues/faults with their model, does it?

Fair comment. What I don't get is the faux outrage expressed by some posters here.

i think no-one would have had a problem is they had not blatantly shoved price comparisons up, showing the outrageous prices some retailers are offering. Let's be fair, they don't always do the price comparisons, so to actively highlight places that are selling much more expensive is a little unfair, giving to me, the impression that they were a very very good deal for the item.
The annoyance is again, the low down tactics, it couldn't just be sold on its own merits, a good cleaner, a good brand, it had to be THE best cleaner at THE best price.
The channel is attempting it seems to go in the right direction in some areas such as brand names Vax and Tefal, however, this all just goes to pot in a lot of people's mind when they then have to resort to lower tactics to get the sale. I think that's what annoys us on here, sell the Vax on what it does, how great it is, this is the price, the end.

Damn make up nonesense, for deal of the day peter simon and that other bloke is going ott with it.

Latest posts

Back