Clogau cock up

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

babytoes

Registered Shopper
I just happened to see a little of the 4pm show when they had item 600418 on. The price £2587.20, in 18ct gold, as they showed a real close up where the ring turns around once or twice I noticed it said 14ct China. I rang CS and told them, they went to check with the studio and said that they would put out an appology on air. I always thought that their rings etc were made in Wales,shows how thick I am. Did anyone hear the appology as I had to go out.

I agree that puts the whole clogau "story" in a new light but what were they going to apologise for exactly? They say the gold comes from Wales but I've never heard them say the stuff is made there. As with a lot of these things it's what they DON'T say that you have to watch out for!

It's strange that despite being so expensive a lot of it looks very chavvy. Like the stuff you see advertised on the back of a Sunday supplement. I don't think they make enough of the fact that the amount of welsh gold is so tiny either. Smoke and mirrors.

I didn't see/hear an apology but I would be disappointed if these pieces are made in China. Although they don't, to my knowledge, say they're made in Wales I would have assumed they were.

I have one Clogau necklace bought years ago and not from QVC and it's very pretty and has worn really well. Made in China or not.

If you have a look at Clogau's facebook page for May 6th this was discussed about their jewellery now being made in China.I have a couple of pieces from when they first appeared on QVC and I believe that the jewellery was made in Wales then.When the Royal Wedding was on tv in April ,QVC in the States had a replica of Diana's/ Kate's ring for sale,and in the description right at the bottom it had"Made in China" that was the first I knew about it.Clogau is expensive and from the begining with the "romance" of the story etc we have continued to believe ( well I did until April ) that it was still made in Wales.It just does'nt feel so special now as nearly everything these days is made in China.

It used to be made in North Wales but Clogau closed the workshop a couple of years ago now, moving production to Chima for "economic reasons" putting the local workers out of jobs.

There are plans by a company called Welsh Gold to reopen the Clogau mines but Clogau Gold are apparently trying to stop them, saying they are looking themselves at reopening them. Welsh gold own the land around the mine and have a licience so not sure what will happen there

I think you could buy it in Argos for a while. Not sure if you still can.

The piece that I have has a real weight to it. It's a flower pendant back in the days when they did a daffodil collection. It's obviously good quality but wouldn't have been anything like the prices they are these days.

I like some of the range but not all of it. I do like the fact that the explain the quality of the diamonds.

It is still being shown as 18ct. I have watched the video presentation and agree that it very clearly shows that it is 14ct. That can never be acceptable irrespective of the cost of the item.

My DD looked at some in H.Samuels and it was very lightweight, cheap look and feel and she was so disappointed, but the price tag wasn't lightweight (a few years ago though, don't know if they sell it now).

It's always been one of the most overpriced jewellery ranges on QVC and now it's made in China Clogau profit margins must be astronomical. The 'Welsh gold' content (miniscule) has always been a major con imho and I wouldn't want any of it as a gift let alone payng those ridiculous prices for it. :doh:

I saw part of this presentation and thought the ring very expensive for what it was and looking back at the video clip on the website, it is clearly marked as 14k. Very naughty!

I receive regular emails from Clogau...advertising a sale atm....but with only a hint of Welsh gold, being made in China and the high prices....it does not tempt me.

I came across the Black Hills Gold range earlier this year on QVC and find that much more affordable and attractive, but unfortunately the next piece I want seems to be on an extended waitlist! :doh:

Black Hills is a lovely range of jewellery Sacha, much nicer and far better value than Clogau. There are several pieces I have my eye on, which piece are you waiting for??

Black Hills is a lovely range of jewellery Sacha, much nicer and far better value than Clogau. There are several pieces I have my eye on, which piece are you waiting for??

I'm waiting for this ring PPC, currently they only seem to have it in just one size.

http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.690136.cm_scid.KeywordSearch

And the one I got earlier is the second one down shown on the RHS of that page.

I've just been checking out the US website Black Hills Gold by Coleman where these pieces are made. A much greater selection to be seen there!

Last edited:
Obviously all the 'children' in the gallery were having giggles again, or the error would have been spotted !!!!!

As for Clogau, I am still trying to figure out which part of the gold is Welsh gold. Is it the rose gold ??

I have a lovely Clogau daffodil pendant and chain bought for me (not from qvc) by my MiL in memory of my FiL who, despite living in England for the last 60 years of his life, remained Welsh through and through. I don't know where it was made, but I don't care as it certainly doesn't look or feel cheap, is quite weighty and well made, but most of all has sentimental value.

Latest posts

Back