Craig Rowe on SWS show

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
When I switched over to this toward the end of the show, Craig and Carolyn Pollack must have been discussing practices of the native american indian. He progressed to tell us that they don't just kill animals for their meat (that makes it okay then!), they use all of the beast, which is very respectful. (?)

As a vegetarian, I realise my opinion will be different to that of a carnivore but, honestly, whatever gives him the idea that killing any animal, whether it be for food, or for vanity (leather goods / jewellery ) can possibly be respectful? Even if the argument that people need meat in their diet is true (dieticians will tell you this is not the case btw), the horribly archaic ritual certainly cannot be referred to in any which way as 'respectful'.

This guy doesn't need a shovel; he's managing to dig a huge hole for himself perfectly well on his own.

Louise, historically, Native North Americans were hunter/gatherers and didn't settle in any one place long enough to cultivate crops. Their life-styles may have changed over the past 200 years or so, but why should they be forced to change their traditions to suit western sensibilities? As to the meat question, can you suggest how people who still live a nomadic lifestyle can get the adequate, concentrated source of protein that meat provides?

This squeamish atitude towards animals is a western thing born out of having plenty of alternative food and means to make goods traditionally made by leather.

How on earth were Native Americans supposed to survive? They could hardly be expected to nip up the shops and get some Linda McCartney meals could they?

When I switched over to this toward the end of the show, Craig and Carolyn Pollack must have been discussing practices of the native american indian. He progressed to tell us that they don't just kill animals for their meat (that makes it okay then!), they use all of the beast, which is very respectful. (?)

As a vegetarian, I realise my opinion will be different to that of a carnivore but, honestly, whatever gives him the idea that killing any animal, whether it be for food, or for vanity (leather goods / jewellery ) can possibly be respectful? Even if the argument that people need meat in their diet is true (dieticians will tell you this is not the case btw), the horribly archaic ritual certainly cannot be referred to in any which way as 'respectful'.

This guy doesn't need a shovel; he's managing to dig a huge hole for himself perfectly well on his own.

I too am a vegetarian BUT I don't agree with you at all. The American Indians couldn't nip down to Tesco's to buy their lunch. They did have respect for the animal: without the bufalo they would have had no food, no clothing, no shelter. It wasn't vanity, it was necessity that made them kill the animal and you can't possibly compare our lives to theirs. You should read a bit more about them before being so scathing about their "archaic rituals".

I don't eat/wear animals. However, I don't really have an issue with people such as the native americans or the Inuits hunting/killing them to eat and wear because they need to do so to survive - they often have no other option. The Inuits, in particular, would never survive on a vegetarian or vegan diet. Don't get me wrong, it is NOT nice that animals are slaughtered but its not our place to criticize other cultures who hunt to survive.

I didn't hear exactly what Craig said but maybe he could have worded it better if he caused offence.

I too am a vegetarian BUT I don't agree with you at all. The American Indians couldn't nip down to Tesco's to buy their lunch. They did have respect for the animal: without the bufalo they would have had no food, no clothing, no shelter. It wasn't vanity, it was necessity that made them kill the animal and you can't possibly compare our lives to theirs. You should read a bit more about them before being so scathing about their "archaic rituals".

I agree with you, we could learn a lot from the culture of the Native Americans. I have a lot of respect for them and their ethics regarding treatment of animals etc. and I'm a vegetarian too.

As a vegetarian, I realise my opinion will be different to that of a carnivore......

Actually, I'm an omnivore......

...but, honestly, whatever gives him the idea that killing any animal, whether it be for food, or for vanity (leather goods / jewellery ) can possibly be respectful? Even if the argument that people need meat in their diet is true (dieticians will tell you this is not the case btw), the horribly archaic ritual certainly cannot be referred to in any which way as 'respectful'.

Hmmm well, many of the 'disrepectful' Native Americans were wiped out, either through conflict or plain old starvation when the enlightened white man came along & obliterated the majority of the buffalo herds in an even moire disrespectful manner, by taking only their hides & leaving thousands of now useless carcasses to rot on the plains!

I find it somewhat ironic that a people brought to the very brink of human extinction should be castigated in such a way for their lifestyle when the supposed civilised modern world has inflicted (& continues to inflict!) far worse crimes against the environment & animals in general, not to mention the ecological effect on the planet/ozone layer etc. of importing many foodstuffs perhaps used in a solely vegetarian diet....?

I don't eat/wear animals. However, I don't really have an issue with people such as the native americans or the Inuits hunting/killing them to eat and wear because they need to do so to survive - they often have no other option. The Inuits, in particular, would never survive on a vegetarian or vegan diet. Don't get me wrong, it is NOT nice that animals are slaughtered but its not our place to criticize other cultures who hunt to survive.

I didn't hear exactly what Craig said but maybe he could have worded it better if he caused offence.

I heard him and, in my opinion, he wasn't in the least offensive.

Actually, I'm an omnivore......

Hmmm well, many of the 'disrepectful' Native Americans were wiped out, either through conflict or plain old starvation when the enlightened white man came along & obliterated the majority of the buffalo herds in an even moire disrespectful manner, by taking only their hides & leaving thousands of now useless carcasses to rot on the plains!

I find it somewhat ironic that a people brought to the very brink of human extinction should be castigated in such a way for their lifestyle when the supposed civilised modern world has inflicted (& continues to inflict!) far worse crimes against the environment & animals in general, not to mention the ecological effect on the planet/ozone layer etc. of importing many foodstuffs perhaps used in a solely vegetarian diet....?

Exactly!!!

The people that should be castigated for disrespecting animals are the likes of Butcher Basso who just uses the fur of animals to make money and to pander to the vanity of people who, in my opinion, have more money than morals.

I'll take the Native American Indian attitude to animals any day. At least what they did was out of necessity NOT vanity.

The Native Americans have enormous respect for the natural world and what lives in it. Most of their spiritual beliefs are based around animals and animal spirit guides. It's something I'm interested in and have read a fair bit about. (I'm veggie too BTW.)

And I think Craig is fine. Slightly OT but he did a good job with Uri Geller. He actually took an interest in what was being said instead of ridiculing (JR anyone?!). I even emailed him once about the treatment he got from her about it and got a nice reply. She should be more professional.

Last edited:
The people that should be castigated for disrespecting animals are the likes of Butcher Basso who just uses the fur of animals to make money and to pander to the vanity of people who, in my opinion, have more money than morals.

I'll take the Native American Indian attitude to animals any day. At least what they did was out of necessity NOT vanity.

Again, I agree!

Latest posts

Back