Crimble decorations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

loveallthingsitalian

Registered Shopper
Jill Franks has just said she is sooooooo missing having the Christmas decorations at home as it was sooooo awful going home to find them not up. Wouldn't you think if you worked somewhere where they had the place decorated since July and flogging the tat 24/7 you would be glad to see the back of them.
I week is enough for me.

Edit the heading should be Crimble not crumble , darned predictive text.

I miss the Xmas decorations up too , everywhere seems so dark and boring now.

I don't like Christmas decorations at all. I prefer to buy flowering plants like cyclamen and may just have a bit of tinsel surrounding the base. I do have Christmas lights which I put into a tall vase and have those switched on in the evening. I put the lights and tinsel out on Christmas eve and its gone the day after Boxing day, but I am still left with the flowering plants so it doesn't look bare after Christmas.

I live alone and don't have children so I can please myself, but even as a child I can never remember my family having decorations hanging around for weeks on end.

Yes, I remember our deccys as a child being 'put up' the weekend before Christmas Day (which in some years was only 1 or 2 days beforehand), and the same ones were brought out decade after decade, so there was none of this different 'themeing' every year, - in fact I think it was only Woolworths where you could buy the decorations (some may remember differently).

This was during times when shops were shut on Sunday. Only the bakers and fishmongers opened on Good Friday morning. When on Easter Day & Christmas Day not a soul could be seen on the streets, when New Year's Day was not a bank holiday and we had to return to work, and on Christmas Day we watched Leslie Crowther on black and white tv visiting children who were ill in hospital opening their presents.

I think Christmas decs are put up too early these days. It`s nothing unusual to see them at the end of November and especially from the 1st of December. There again, Christmas starts so early in the shops and online so I suppose it`s to be expected. We just have a smallish tree but only put it up a few days before Christmas and can`t wait to take it down after Christmas because the cat does our heads in by constantly knocking off the baubles or trying to hide under or in it. We daren`t leave presents around either because she loves wrapping paper and bags too.
When I lived alone I didn`t even bother with a tree because I worked the Christmas period including Christmas day but we always had several trees and decorations where I worked.
I still have some decorations made by my sons when they were little ( they`re all grown men now ) and even though I may not put them up I still keep them. Some are a tad fragile after all this time anyway.

I have replaced my Christmas decorations with some Bethlehem Lights. It brightens up the house during these long dark evenings!

We have an enormous very realistic-looking Christmas tree which is one of only a couple of things I "kept" from a previous relationship. It has been going strong since 1999 and we have some good quality decorations for it that have been gradually collected over the years, including a red "big apple" from New York, a porcelain snowman, a pair of cherubs, one with a broken wing. My husband says I have to still put the broken one up because of "equal oppportunities" lol. Pride of place is my beloved fairy on the top. I got her a few years ago from Past Times. There HAS to be a fairy on a Christmas Tree. Whatever happened to the Christmas Fairy? All you see everywhere are Angels or stars. Not the same. We also put the home made decorations the children have made- we now have 6 and keep them. Plus some baubles with their baby pictures inside.

As the tree is the main focus we only have a couple of snow globes and Christmas candles around the place. Any more decorations would be overkill. We need some new lights for the tree next year as ours have finally died a death.

We have a tree as the only focus with a 47year old fairy on the top. I find anything else around the home depressive.

I hate putting the tree up, and taking it down, but I do love it when it is up. About 4 years ago we bought quite an expensive one and spent a fortune on decorations for it. It is only this fact that makes me put it up every year, I have to be honest! I also have a lit garland type thing (contemporary rather than traditional) on the fireplace and I think I would just be happy with this! Next year we hope to go away so nothing will be going up. Although, we say that every year! It's akin to "this time next year Rodney...." ha ha!

When I was little, Father Christmas and his elves brought the entire set of Christmas decorations and put them up on Christmas Eve!!!! Then, because my parents' wedding anniversary was 6 January it never looked completely empty when they were put away as there were quite a few cards and new presents around once the Christmas stuff was put away, somehow I never twigged that we put the decorations away, but the decorating was magical, I remember being awestruck by the fact that not only did Santa bring me and all the other little boys and girls in the world their presents, but he and his elves came and decorated our living room!

Och, I like my tree. I put it up the first week in December and all the balls remind me of when I bought them in different places and some are from childhood. Don't put much else up. Once Christmas is over though I can't wait to put it all away. Everyone's different, my friend hates my tree, too much of a mish mash, she has delicately lighted twigs LOL.

Its always a relief to get the thing down!!! I love faffing around putting it up but the taking down is a real chore. In my house it comes down on New Years Day I don't bother waiting till 12th night. I like a new fresh start on New Years Day. Mind you if it was down to my husband it would never go up at all!!

Och, I like my tree. I put it up the first week in December and all the balls remind me of when I bought them in different places and some are from childhood. Don't put much else up. Once Christmas is over though I can't wait to put it all away. Everyone's different, my friend hates my tree, too much of a mish mash, she has delicately lighted twigs LOL.

I love a colourful mish mash, with baubles from my childhood too, it's a tree of memories :)

Its always a relief to get the thing down!!! I love faffing around putting it up but the taking down is a real chore. In my house it comes down on New Years Day I don't bother waiting till 12th night. I like a new fresh start on New Years Day. Mind you if it was down to my husband it would never go up at all!!

I can identify with that ! nearly all the blokes I know are very vocal about 'hating' Christmas, but they are always there with their hands out looking for the pressy on Christmas morning !!!!!

Latest posts

Back