Diamonds v Diamonique

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My OH has a Loupe but I haven't a clue what to look for he uses it for tinkering with watches and tiny components he uses for his hobby. I would never buy Diamonds from Q if I want to spend that sort of money I would go to a reputable jeweller.

Grab his loupe, hold it close to one eye (try to keep the other open) and study anything and everything you can get your hands on! I've wasted hours just @rsing around with my loupe and various items of jewellery and miscellaneous bits and bobs.

The more stones you look at the more familiar you'll get with picking up the various types of flaws. I've even found a "feather" in a diamonique stone - so much for flawless! I sent a lovely Tova ring back that I'd waited months for as it was badly scratched on the setting and the stone itself was chipped. Someone had obviously been having a whale of a time with that ring. That'll teach me not to dive on items that are in and out of stock in a matter of hours - I'm just getting a return!

Where would be the best place to sell unwanted jewellery.
I have a diamond and sapphire ring(like Lady Diana's,sort of),which I rarely wear.
Thought I'd leave it to one of my daughters,but they wouldn't wear it,and would be
unfair to the other daughter as I assume it's worth a little.
I also have my Grandmothers wedding ring 1906,I believe to be all Welsh gold.
If I bought a loupe would the markings tell me?
I quite like eek,as long as the stones are small and believable,but not keen on large rings anyway as they look wrong on my hands.

I would take your rings to a good jeweller to have them valued. If the Wedding ring is Welsh gold it could be quite valuable if the Clogau prices are anything to go by.

Bit late the the convo here MK, for me - yes it is difficult to distinguish the difference. However, putting on real diamonds just makes you feel really special, whereas fake diamonds just make you feel nice.

I'd compare it to wearing our favourite Lulu Guinness bags, compared with wearing a good high street copy. Both make you feel nice when you're wearing them, but only the real thing makes you feel special :happy:

Bit late the the convo here MK, for me - yes it is difficult to distinguish the difference. However, putting on real diamonds just makes you feel really special, whereas fake diamonds just make you feel nice.

I'd compare it to wearing our favourite Lulu Guinness bags, compared with wearing a good high street copy. Both make you feel nice when you're wearing them, but only the real thing makes you feel special :happy:

Good analogy, you've hit the nail on the head

I know where you're coming from! However, none of these items are the LG equivalent! Maybe it's because they are Q's offerings. Perhaps I should go and try on some real, quality diamonds and see how I feel then.

There used to be a lady who posted on the Gems section of ST, she was very knowledgeable about grades of gemstones. In fact she sent many back as not up to standard and had a loupe(there are actually different magnifications of loupes) . She and a number of others who bought from Gems who did grade their diamonds considered QVC's to be of a much lower standard. Yes they were real diamonds, but QVC never told you what grade they actually were. Using a loupe you could see the inclusions not seen by the naked eye. She advised not to buy diamonds from QVC as you were not getting your money's worth.

Q don't really sell diamonds, they sell chips.

When a bobby dazzler has O.10 in total caret weight it can't really be considered a diamond ring. a single 1 caret is not a big stone the price is in the quality of a single stone.

Wear what you love and love what you wear.

I can tell diamonds from Eek, moissanite and other CZs without a loupe. The old EeK was much better quality - I've had a few stones lately that have arrived dull to start with. I've also found they scratch quickly which causes them to look dull, even after a dip in an ultrasonic bath and jewellery cleaner.

I've been lucky enough to own diamonds, EeK, other CZ and moissanite. My favourites are diamonds as I've bought nice ones and gone quality over quantity. However, I'd rather buy EeK if I'm looking at something with small-to-tiny stones or easily lost items like pendants or earrings.

I looked everywhere for my engagement ring, an old-cut (transitional) stone. I got it (due to it's cut) for less than half the price of a modern cut. The quality of the stone is superb, if I say so myself. I am fascinated by it's chameleon qualities. It looks different in all sorts of light and the cut itself catches everyone's eye. I was in the dreaded High Street a few weeks ago and had a look in some well-known jewellers. I was shocked at the stones they were selling - cloudy, highly included, low colour stones - for top whack prices! One, half the size of mine, with inclusions I could see through the display case was almost twice the price I paid for mine. They should be ashamed of themselves!

My advice to anyone wanting a diamond is to go second-hand. Look in auction houses and independents at their second-hand section. Buy a loupe (I have two - one 10x and one 30x with a UV and LED light). Ask to see the stone under a loupe and take it to the window to see it in daylight. Get used to the many types of cuts - I would now never buy a modern cut. I have an "old mine" cut that was left to me and love the huge flashes of fire it throws out. Eek and even double-refracted moissy pale beside it.

Also, NEVER pay the ticket price. I'm notorious for haggling. If you find any "flaws" under loupe that you are prepared to live with point them out and use them to get the price down. High Street jewellers sell a lot of fluoresced stones, but never mention it and their lighting will negate the effect. That's where a UV light comes in handy. Fluoresced stones will show blue, yellow, orange red or green under UV. I think it's a cool phenomenon and there's a seller in the US who makes a living from his range (Brian Gavin Blue), as they show whiter face-up and in sunlight than their true colour grade. Although BG puts a premium on his stones, most places consider fluro as an unwanted effect that will lower the price - but would never point that out to their customers!

There was a guy on This Morning a while back, showing off stupidly priced pieces. He stated that you can't break a diamond. Bullsh!t. They may be the hardest known substance, but they can still break. I've seen many a chipped stone in my searches - my old miner has quite a few chips around the girdle, but as a fairly large stone that's over a hundred years old, it's forgiven.

ILS - please wear your lovely old rings. If you can afford to insure them, great. But even if you don't, take a risk from time to time and give them an airing. Even if, like Charlotte in SATC you just wear them around the house (not to clean, obvs!). Take them to a good local jeweller and have them cleaned up and checked - mine cleans mine every time I pass (not often, admittedly), and even though I clean them at home regularly and don't wear them around the house, they always come out so much sparklier. If you decide to insure them you'll need them valued anyway, and most insurances ask for an annual check to make sure there are no loose stones. Be careful with rings worn on your dominant hand if you're not used to wearing them. I wore my old miner on my right hand and was horrified at the amount of times I caught it on table edges etc. If your antiques have any nicks or chips, banging them could make them worse - but still, they need to be enjoyed. When I think about the work that went into these stones, from mining to cutting and setting, and to the love they've had by their owners over the years (yep, I'm sentimental!)... go on, wear them :nod:
Excellent post! :mysmilie_59: So reminiscent of somebody who used to be on the forum....do I know you? :happy:

I admit years ago I had a 'snobby' attitude to DMQ & had friends who joined in the 'lets have a laugh at DMQ' which added to this.Now I just don't care, if you have the money to buy good quality diamonds that's fine but how many are low quality?I have some DMQ pieces & even wear pieces which are obviously not real--who cares.With the real thing you have the insurance & the fear of loosing or even worse stolen/ robbed off you.How many people who can afford the real thing wear them in public anyway?

Latest posts

Back