Does anyone remember the pre 9/11 men?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Grumpy

Registered Shopper
Does anyone remember those American guests who crossed the Atlantic regularly to sell us products, until they were frightened of flying after 9/11?

It must have been the last flush of my post menopausal hormones, but I thought they were wonderfully attractive, and spent hundreds of pounds on their, mainly cleaning, products. We recently mentioned Fat Marvin, who caused me to repeatedly order chocolate bars, despite the evidence of him to the contrary that they were a slimming aid.

But mainly they sold things to clean our counter-tops (work surfaces) and carpeting (carpets). There was the Oreck man, whose spiel made you think that vacuuming with his hotel-approved models made you a permanent resident of the Four Seasons in Hollywood. They sold potions to which you added water to make gallons of cleanser for your swimming pool, in preparation for your pool party. I still have a tub of the pink stuff under my sink, fifteen years later, like the ashes in an urn of a dear departed relative I don't want to let go of. It was made of seaweed, and you melted a lump of pink stuff in the microwave, with water. It then turned into a rather disappointing sticky grey goo, rather like frogspawn or a gynaecological discharge.

But I went off them when they stopped flying. We went through the Blitz, you know, yellow Yankees.

Oreck was still on QVC until a few years back and Dyson took over.

Marvin got done for fraud in the US over the claims for the slimming bars. He was the son of the CEO of QVC US.

There was the New York man who did the gorgeous jewellery, even called a pair of London Blue Topaz earrings after his daughter(I think her name was Rachel or Rebecca??). He disappeared never to return after 9/11, I often wondered if something happened to him? Then the Viva La Vega guy started to appear instead.

The weird thing was Tova was over like a shot straight after the no fly thing stopped. She thanked the UK for their help and support.

Oreck was still on QVC until a few years back and Dyson took over.

Marvin got done for fraud in the US over the claims for the slimming bars. He was the son of the CEO of QVC US.

There was the New York man who did the gorgeous jewellery, even called a pair of London Blue Topaz earrings after his daughter(I think her name was Rachel or Rebecca??). He disappeared never to return after 9/11, I often wondered if something happened to him? Then the Viva La Vega guy started to appear instead.

The weird thing was Tova was over like a shot straight after the no fly thing stopped. She thanked the UK for their help and support.

Well done, Tova!

Does anyone remember those American guests who crossed the Atlantic regularly to sell us products, until they were frightened of flying after 9/11?

We went through the Blitz, you know, yellow Yankees.

Poor taste.... I don't think 9/11 is a topic for jokes. 3,000 people died in horrific circumstances (and televised for all to see).

Anyway, I doubt it's a fear of flying that has caused changes to American attendance - more likely to be budgets or canvassed opinion dictating the changes.

But I went off them when they stopped flying. We went through the Blitz, you know, yellow Yankees.

I have to agree with TiddlyWinks, that comment was made in poor taste. It might have happened in NY but people all over the world were affected (myself included, I lost a very close and dear friend that day). Thousands died and for what?

As for the men you speak of; I doubt its because of a fear of flying - although if it was it would be completely justified, its probably just the progression of QVC, brands come and go quickly now... especially american brands.

I have to agree with TiddlyWinks, that comment was made in poor taste. It might have happened in NY but people all over the world were affected (myself included, I lost a very close and dear friend that day). Thousands died and for what?

As for the men you speak of; I doubt its because of a fear of flying - although if it was it would be completely justified, its probably just the progression of QVC, brands come and go quickly now... especially american brands.

I must apologise if anyone thought I was making fun of 9/11. I meant only to draw the contrast between the big macho men who tried to persuade us to part with money to live their glamorous home life by using their products, and the reality of many of them being afraid to fly. I was given £200 by BA back in 1990 when I had booked a flight between London and France, because most of their American clients had cancelled their bookings on European flights because of the war far away in the Gulf.

However, I do not wish to upset anyone, so will see if I can delete my original post.

I must apologise if anyone thought I was making fun of 9/11. I meant only to draw the contrast between the big macho men who tried to persuade us to part with money to live their glamorous home life by using their products, and the reality of many of them being afraid to fly. I was given £200 by BA back in 1990 when I had booked a flight between London and France, because most of their American clients had cancelled their bookings on European flights because of the war far away in the Gulf.

However, I do not wish to upset anyone, so will see if I can delete my original post.

I really wouldn't worry, most of us can see you never meant any malice by it, it's actually "poor taste" to make an exhibition of someone's comment who obviously meant no harm. If you delete your post then the self righteous bullies on their high horses get their way.

I really wouldn't worry, most of us can see you never meant any malice by it, it's actually "poor taste" to make an exhibition of someone's comment who obviously meant no harm. If you delete your post then the self righteous bullies on their high horses get their way.

How nasty you are sometimes.

Why are we bullies when just voicing an opinion in a reasoned fashion without insulting anyone?

Why are we bullies when just voicing an opinion in a reasoned fashion without insulting anyone?

I have apologised for causing offence. The fault was entirely mine. I see no reason why Tiddlywinks should have a go at shoppaholic.

To be honest, we ALL say things intended totally without malice.

In fact how many times have YOU said "oh gawd, you almost gave me a heart attack" ??? hmmmmmm ? My husband dropped dead in front of me with a heart attack, but I certainly don't have an attack of the vapours when I hear it said in front of me. One has to be grown up about these things.

And when I say YOU , I'm MEANING everyone who reads this post, not anyone in particular.

Last edited:

You're entitled to your opinion of course you are, it was the "poor taste" I didn't feel was justified, forcing someone to feel that they needed to remove their comment because they were made to feel embarrassed by it, so yes they obviously felt bullied. I suppose you felt calling me "nasty" was justified hey? Actually I'm anything but, but thanks for that.

I have apologised for causing offence. The fault was entirely mine. I see no reason why Tiddlywinks should have a go at shoppaholic.

You didn't cause offence and have nothing to apologise over, so please don't let it ruin your day. I've said it before, I'll say it again as regards to her comment..........I couldn't give a "duck". :mysmilie_17:

This is a forum so I'm all for making a comment if you don't agree with a particular viewpoint, but a couple of people on here have reacted to Miss Grumpy and shopperholic's comments in a way that is completely over the top. Nobody was taking the mick, or trying to denigrate what happened to those poor people on 9/11, nor were the comments made with malice aforethought. A comment setting out your own 'take' is one thing, going completely over the top and lecturing someone as though they have deliberately been offensive is another, especially if those comments are in an unpleasantly hectoring tone, Tiddlywinks. Your comment calling someone "unpleasant" was extremely rude, and could equally well have been turned back at you, IMO. Can you not accept that the original comment wasn't meant to contain anything deliberately offensive, don't overreact and don't look for 'issues' where none exist.

Last edited:
The voice of reason - thanks, brissles. Couldn't agree more. Life's way too short to go looking for "issues" where none exist.

To be honest, we ALL say things intended totally without malice.

In fact how many times have YOU said "oh gawd, you almost gave me a heart attack" ??? hmmmmmm ? My husband dropped dead in front of me with a heart attack, but I certainly don't have an attack of the vapours when I hear it said in front of me. One has to be grown up about these things.

And when I say YOU , I'm MEANING everyone who reads this post, not anyone in particular.

I have wondered about those guests many times since 9/11, and actually I wondered if they had offices based in the towers, and perhaps were killed, no way to know this of course, but I don't think they just suddenly stopped flying because of 9/11. I think both clothing and jewellery men may well have had offices in those towers. I do hope not, because some of them were really nice guys, and I do recall the chap who sold lovely jewellery, in fact I have one or two of his rings, and also remember him naming an item after his daughter.

I think a lot of things worldwide changed as a result of 9/11. Who knows the reasons ,but I often think they just get fed up with flying the long haul flights.Its pretty gruelling.Im sure it had an effect on Lenny.

Was it Chuck Clemency Donna? He seemed a lovely chap, and talked me into buying a tanzanite ring with that presenter spiel about how it could run out in a matter of years! Still a nice ring but I don't get jewellers snatching my hand to buy it from me for silly money!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back