Donate to the Red Cross

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

"I care very much about people's suffering but what puts me off donating .... is Japan's record on animal cruelty."

I really do not understand that kind of thinking. They are now estimating that possibly 25,000 PEOPLE are already dead, with many more injured and homeless and the potential for nuclear disaster, and some folk are fretting about fluffy pooches. Sense of priorities, anyone?

it doesnt bother me in the least that QVC have put a click through link on thier site. Nor does it bother me that Japan is one of the richest countries or their record in the war or their record on anything what concerns me when I see the awful pictures is the people.

I dont care where people are from or which country a disaster on this scale is there are human beings suffering people have lost everything their homes their possesions and family and friends as far as i am concerned nothing else matters.

Giving to charity, any chairity is a personal choice and the way i see it is that QVC along with a myriad other web sites are simply enabling people who do want to give.

I know they need any practical help the rest of the world can offer, i.e. the expertise of medical staff etc etc, but what I'm saying is Japan as a country can surely make funds available for the relief organisations to do their invaluable work.

it is not a popular belief but i totally agree.
it is terrible what has happened in Japan and my heart does go out to them. we and the rest of the world should send as much help as they need to help with finding people, those who survived and those who sadly didnt, and with the clean up but we shouldnt be sending money imo. save it ready for the next disaster that hits a 3rd world country where the government dont have the cash or caring to help

"I care very much about people's suffering but what puts me off donating .... is Japan's record on animal cruelty."

I really do not understand that kind of thinking. They are now estimating that possibly 25,000 PEOPLE are already dead, with many more injured and homeless and the potential for nuclear disaster, and some folk are fretting about fluffy pooches. Sense of priorities, anyone?

Japan is still classed as the Third Richest Country in the world.

Actually I would give money to help the Japanese animals in this crisis.

Japan is still classed as the Third Richest Country in the world.

Actually I would give money to help the Japanese animals in this crisis.
Yes me too Donna but not to the Japanese directly because I don't think they believe animal welfare is important. Donating to whatever cause or charity is a personal choice and this option would be mine. Just waiting now for all the 'how could you put animals before people!!!????' outraged posts. :rolleyes:

We ARE caring. We've sent numerous rescue teams out there, working under terrible conditions but doing it because they care.

I was listening to a radio phone-in whilst driving this morning and a war veteran was saying that "all the atrocities the Japs carried out during world war 2, they didn't care much for our lads" (his opinion not mine).

But what about the attrocities of Nagasaki and Hiroshima, do we forget them.We were not thinkig of all those innocent people killed then.

Sazza has a very valid point. These charities are asking for your money and not Japan or the Japanese people. The Japanese are a very proud people and a lot of the reports coming out are talking about the people just getting on with it. Unlike other dreadful disasters there aren't bodies visible on the streets. It is unthinkable for the Japanese people to allow that to happen.

I don't think anyone should feel obliged to give if they don't want to or can't afford to but the ultimate death toll is going to be 1000s and then there are those who have lost everything. It's horrific and heart breaking.

It doesn't bother me in the least that QVC have put up a link. If it makes it easier for people to give, if they wish, then why not?
The Japanese people are the most proud nation(i know personally) and will get on without any charity and with great dignity, but I want to donate to feel I have helped, not because they asked for it. I wont donate through UK red cross as they only give a certain amount to the country of choice, but will go directly to the Japanese Red Cross to make a donation so the whole amount will go to the country. Regarding the animal issue, a lot of Japanese people are Buddhist, who wont harm a living creature. I feel so sad for this gentle natured nation and the horrendous situation they face and cannot understand why such harsh comments from others on the forum...money is money, but these are human beings

"Just waiting now for all the 'how could you put animals before people!!!????' outraged posts. "

Not outraged, just saddened at the warped values.

Me too, me too. The way some people put animals over people borders on the pathological. All humans bad, all fluffie, wuffie animals good.

You get outraged page after page about Dennis Basso because he's a furrier and a bare minimum of pages about human rights in China where the majority of goods come from. Maybe the workers should dress up as kittens, then some people would start caring about them.

Me too, me too. The way some people put animals over people borders on the pathological. All humans bad, all fluffie, wuffie animals good.

You get outraged page after page about Dennis Basso because he's a furrier and a bare minimum of pages about human rights in China where the majority of goods come from. Maybe the workers should dress up as kittens, then some people would start caring about them.
Actually Mimi if you had access to The Drop you would have read numerous threads started by me regarding the appalling human rights abuses that goes on in China. You would also see threads about their disgusting treatment of animals which to me is equally important because imho ALL life is sacred and animals deserve to be treated with respect and compassion, just like humans.

Last edited:

I don't happen to think that human suffering is somehow any more important than animal suffering. It's not just 'fluffy pooches' either (a little patronising maybe?) . All living creatures with feelings and a capacity to feel pain deserve compassion.
I happen to care very deeply about animal welfare and therefore it's always at the forefront of my mind. This doesn't preclude me from caring about human beings and I have donated to Japan which you ommitted from my quote :cheeky:

Does it really matter what happened in the past in World Wars? We remember the fallen all the time and how hard they fought for us.

RE Hiroshima etc, it is worth noting that these bombs, although disgusting, effectively ended WW2.

I am more concerned that a company as big as QVC are effectively asking you to donate, via their shopping of course.
I did a thread in The Drop on TKMaxx asking me at the checkout if I would like to donate £1 to Red Nose Day, I said no then and I would say no now!

There is something wrong with retail companies asking or whatever, customers to donate to charities via there site/shop.

A money box is one thing, asking or displaying in such a way like this is not very nice for the customer.

The Japanese were actually in discussions over surrendering before the Yanks dropped the second bomb, so that suffering need never have happened, if only the Americans hadnt done what they always do...go in all guns a blazing. The Japanese are now not saying this is the worst event in Japan since the Bombs, but very discreatly they say since WW2. These people are such beautiful people they deserve the worlds help both finacially and on the ground.

The Japanese were actually in discussions over surrendering before the Yanks dropped the second bomb, so that suffering need never have happened, if only the Americans hadnt done what they always do...go in all guns a blazing. The Japanese are now not saying this is the worst event in Japan since the Bombs, but very discreatly they say since WW2. These people are such beautiful people they deserve the worlds help both finacially and on the ground.

Discussing history is very tricky. People use some facts to support their point of view. I really doubt that those Americans who made the decision to drop the bombs on Japan during WW2 did so without deep thought and regret. It was a war and horrible actions take place in war. You slight Americans by saying they always do this and that ... all guns blazing as if they give no consideration to any actions. US taxpayers have donated over $1 billion in aid to Haiti alone and that doesn't count private donations.

You say that the Japanese are kind and gentle ... maybe today but they too have their history of cruetly and inhumanity. All nations, countries, ethnic groups, etc. have had their ugly moments in history and those times when they rise above the parapet and achieve something great and attain some level of humanity.

There are many many wrong things that have happened throughout the course of history on every continent. I think what's past is past learn and move on.

It is obvious that the Japanese are a very dignified race. We could all learn alot from how they handle this crisis. No screaming, shouting, looting or histerics (I will say 'yet' as we don't know what utter desparation will bring). Orderly queing for food and water that they are now in dire need for. Bowing politely to each other, respectfully caring and keeping emotions under control. Contrast their behaviour with for example the children in Jamie's Dream School that was on last night - shocking! And that microcosm(?) of 20 teens in the UK is an example of what is going wrong in this country, kids who have absolutely no self-control, disrespect for adults, couldn't care less about each other... going off the point here.

You could say why should we help? Why should we help anyone? Not because they deserve it but because we are all human and, as my mum always used to say 'but for the grace of God, there go I'.

Yes, Japan is a wealthy nation but then so is India if you look at how many have individual wealth and the number of Indian billionaires who daily fly over the Mumbi slums in their jets, yet we still have to help and give aid because these people are so non-compassionate within their own structure (not in all cases of course but in general) .

Finally, I think human beings over animals at all times but, animals need us to care for them too (my dog is a rescue dog from the Dogs Trust and if the house was on fire I'd go in and rescue him, after my kids of course).

Oh for goodness sake you sooooo did not get what I was saying.

I does not matter what happened in WW2. Maybe they would have surrendered, maybe they would not. I really don't care.

To bring up what happened during a WW when they are suffering now is disgraceful. I did not bring up WW2 or the bombs dropping.

I do not like companies effectively asking you to donate via their site or shop.

A money box is one thing, asking the customer to donate in this way is not nice for the customer.

There are many many wrong things that have happened throughout the course of history on every continent. I think what's past is past learn and move on.

It is obvious that the Japanese are a very dignified race. We could all learn alot from how they handle this crisis. No screaming, shouting, looting or histerics (I will say 'yet' as we don't know what utter desparation will bring). Orderly queing for food and water that they are now in dire need for. Bowing politely to each other, respectfully caring and keeping emotions under control. Contrast their behaviour with for example the children in Jamie's Dream School that was on last night - shocking! And that microcosm(?) of 20 teens in the UK is an example of what is going wrong in this country, kids who have absolutely no self-control, disrespect for adults, couldn't care less about each other... going off the point here.

You could say why should we help? Why should we help anyone? Not because they deserve it but because we are all human and, as my mum always used to say 'but for the grace of God, there go I'.

Yes, Japan is a wealthy nation but then so is India if you look at how many have individual wealth and the number of Indian billionaires who daily fly over the Mumbi slums in their jets, yet we still have to help and give aid because these people are so non-compassionate within their own structure (not in all cases of course but in general) .

Finally, I think human beings over animals at all times but, animals need us to care for them too (my dog is a rescue dog from the Dogs Trust and if the house was on fire I'd go in and rescue him, after my kids of course).

So very apt especially "there for the grace of God, go I". I cannot imagine how it must be to face a massive earthquake, to be followed seconds, minutes later by a massive tsunami. The destruction of the earthquake was one thing. It seems that most buildings withstood the earthquake and made survival possible. It doesn't mean that some buildings might not need to be demolished and rebuilt afterwards. But the tsunami ... how can you fight for survival against that?! Even a very good warning system wouldn't have given most people time to reach safety. Now with the meltdown of the nuclear plant ... I cannot imagine what the people are thinking. How do you get up each day and face that?

Yes there are other major and minor disasters that people have faced in the past and are working to go forward. I only hope that they can get through this and back on their way to recovery.

I would think more of QVC if they said that they were donating a large amount, or sending a load of relevant products.

I don't think it is right to say that Japan is rich so they don't need help when people have lost everything and are on the brink of dying from thirst/hunger/cold etc.

And yes, some people will never forgive things that went on in the war (and maybe that is correct) but that was several generations ago, things have changed. All countries did things that they should not be proud of. Remember that only one country has ever used the bomb against another.

My son and his family live in Christchurch New Zealand and were badly affected last month by that awful earthquake. I wouldn't consider New Zealand a poor country but the first people round to help them with food and water were the Red Cross and my son was so grateful for their help. Don't know if this comment is relevant to this thread but people are people wherever they are in the world.

It's a fact that most countries treat animals badly as they don't have or can't afford the same sentiment about them as we do. This country can't always hold it's head up. neither can most of our European neighbours and animal welfare needs plenty of support

It applies to the whole of Asia and Africa in particular, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to help people when such terrible disasters occur – regardless of who, where, rich or poor. In Japan tens of thousands children alone are homeless and traumatised, isn't it about humanity and showing we care?

I am able to make a donation and have chosen The Salvation Army who have teams in Japan

Latest posts

Back