down the plughole?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've just had a big, satisfying, clear out of my bathroom cupboard, and hidden away right at the back I found two unopened 30ml pots of Elemis PCMC. Gawd only knows how long it's been there, but it must be years, as I switched allegiance to Hydra Floral a long time ago. Anyone know whether it'll still be usable, or shall I just grit my teeth and chuck?

See what it looks like.

I just reopened a tin of wax car polish, unused for 10 years, and it has completely separated into a liquid and sludge. I gave it a good stir but it did not go back to normal.

But I will still use it though, I HATE to throw anything away unused.

I've just done the same; found a PCMC and Oxy night Cream from goodness knows when but they both smell fine so I'll use them up. Possibly the "active" ingreejunts may have diminished in effectiveness but if the smell and texture are what you'd expect they'll still moisturise and won't do any harm.

When you open it you'll know if it's gone off - it will separate and look curdled and it will smell odd.
If it looks and smells ok I would still use it.
The active ingredients may not be as good, but it shouldn't do you any harm.

One of the last things I ever bought from QVC a couple of years ago was two packs of two ABC wipes, I opened one pack and that was ok, they lasted a while so about two months later I opened the next pack and the small near knocked me sick, the smell was absolutely rancid, so I opened the other packs to check and they'd all gone off in a couple of months, even with them being unopened so I was obviously sold old stock, the crafty gets.

One of the last things I ever bought from QVC a couple of years ago was two packs of two ABC wipes, I opened one pack and that was ok, they lasted a while so about two months later I opened the next pack and the small near knocked me sick, the smell was absolutely rancid, so I opened the other packs to check and they'd all gone off in a couple of months, even with them being unopened so I was obviously sold old stock, the crafty gets.

That's very odd. Tea tree is an antiseptic, supposed to kill most of the germs on your skin. It can't even kill the germs within its own packaging?

I haven't watched the ABC hours for many years, but do know that when they started AY waxed lyrical about little aborigine people swimming in pools with tea tree leaves floating in them. Whatever ills they were suffering from the pool water healed them. Oh, yeah? And how strong is the dilution of essential oil from the leaves into ponds of unknown size? What lurgies were they suffering from? Was she around in the aborigine time before white man's science arrived? Indeed, could it be that AY ever talks complete cobblers about miracle ingredients?

For tea tree wipes, Superdrug and Boots do very good ones, cheaply. None of mine from there have ever gone off, even stored for months and carted around hot sticky places in India. I hope you got your money back from Q!

Last edited:
I like Radox too and it can be always found on half price under a pound. If I need to relax after work I add a couple of drops of essential oil, rose or lavender. I use Aura Cacia essential oils, they are the best quality I have found up to date.

That's very odd. Tea tree is an antiseptic, supposed to kill most of the germs on your skin. It can't even kill the germs within its own packaging?

I haven't watched the ABC hours for many years, but do know that when they started AY waxed lyrical about little aborigine people swimming in pools with tea tree leaves floating in them. Whatever ills they were suffering from the pool water healed them. Oh, yeah? And how strong is the dilution of essential oil from the leaves into ponds of unknown size? What lurgies were they suffering from? Was she around in the aborigine time before white man's science arrived? Indeed, could it be that AY ever talks complete cobblers about miracle ingredients?

For tea tree wipes, Superdrug and Boots do very good ones, cheaply. None of mine from there have ever gone off, even stored for months and carted around hot sticky places in India. I hope you got your money back from Q!

It was a couple of years ago, they wasnt going to give me a refund because it was passed the thirty days, she said I should've checked them when I got them, I explained that to do that I'd have had to open all the packets, she then admitted that someone else rang saying the same thing, so they obviously got old stock too, she said I could have my refund when they got them back so I ended up waiting over three weeks for it, yes it's the dreaded high street all the way for me now, haven't shopped with QVC for years, I'd never go back.

I love tea tree wipes (and the oil) and like you, I've bought Superdrug ones and stockpiled them. I have never known any of them to be "off" when opened, and I know that some of them I've had stored for well over 6 months at a time. They shouldn't be selling stuff that goes off that quickly, surely.

I don't want to think what I've spent with them over the years. I'd get too depressed.
Jewellery was a big weakness in the early days so I'm glad that none of it is even worth much of a look now, but I still like the things I did buy when it was affordable.
I've stopped buying body/shower stuff & am working my way through a stockpile of L'Occitane & SBC. I just need to get more disciplined with makeup & nail kits, though I mostly limit it to TSVs that seem a good deal now.

Skin care I can resist now. I too have problems, not so much with eczema more that my eyes & face swell up severely. I tried most of the brands, some disasterously like Gatineau, but now stick to Boots own & Aveeno sensitive eye cream.

Following my retirement from paid employment last year, I gave away a load of beauty stuff I bought from QVC.
I've narrowed my personal usage down to ABC bodywash, and Aveeno moisture lotion, which is cheaply available at Boots or Costco.
I kept some pots of moisturiser - PCMC & Hydra Floral, and some Iris balm, but whether I remember to use them is hit & miss!
I bought the Hairfix Follicle+ TSV on auto delivery, and find I already have enough to last me years!
I definitely won't be buying any expensive stuff from QVC again. As you say, when you visualise it going down the plughole, it's certainly an eye opener!

Aveeno was recommened to me by my dermatology clinic and my face feels amazingly soft after I've put it on - not slathered it on, just a covering is enough. I buy mine from ebay.

I bought a huge pack of tea tree wipes from aldi a while ago. I love the bargains at aldi. I haven't bought loads of skincare from QVC but I did get into Decleor at one point, till I realized that I was spending £90 for six months' worth of stuff. As for makeup, I hardly wear any so what I've got will see me out.

Did anyone get the caviar cream from Aldi? I would love to know what you think of it. I have decided to use up what I've got before buying any thing new, but if the cream is amazing, will add it to my wish list.

Latest posts

Back