down the plughole?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

No need, my local Aldis is fully aware of supply and demand, unlike QVC, they supply enough if they know demand will be high.

That Aldi caviar cream was featured on This Morning last week. It was a segment about cheaper skincare v more expensive skincare. It was that beauty writer Nadine Baggott who was on with it, she said that the caviar ingredient was the same one that was first in La Prairie cream years ago. She explained that their licence to 'own' it had now expired, so other brands were free to use it in their own creams. Olay Regenerist serum now uses a peptide that was originally used in a high end serum, forget which one.

She did emphasise that this doesn't mean that the creams and serums are identical to the high end originals, it's just that they now contain the same active ingredient, so worth a try.

Seems like many forumites have weaned themselves off Q with help from the site.Since I found the site I have managed to cut down expenditure to practically nil.My spending was out of control especially with the easy pays.Its like you don't even know how much you are spending because they all roll along and you forget about them. Im no longer adding to Q's profits.....

I've learned to be way more disciplined about auto-deliveries, and easy pays since joining this forum. :mysmilie_59:

The fact that rather than a lecture there is humour and good advice to be had... and the advance warning of TSVs and other products gives you far more time than QVC would probably like to consider the wisdom of a purchase, to consider the alternatives, and to give feedback if they've already experienced the product... it all helps!

Well having sensitive skin and knowing that I've wasted money on things I reacted to, I did find the 30 day MBG very useful. I was tempted to try a few things and when I had a reaction to a couple, I was able to send the product back and get a refund. I did however discover that Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish really suited me and that's the one thing I still buy regularly, but not from Q.
I haven't placed an order with them for a couple of years and don't even bother watching these days. I did have a few considered purchases from them, in the early days, on the basis that they could be tried and sent back, but I have had years of use from them - so worth it.
It's easy to get swept along with the hype but at some point we come to our senses and our bank balances are better for it.

On the cheaper substitutes idea....I don't know how well this will go down with Liz Earle fanatics, I bob down inside my tin hat awaiting flack...but if you have never tried LE Cleanse and Polish, or can't afford it...Superdrug do a wonderful cleanse and polish with muslin cloth for hot water cleansing. I have never tried LECP because of the cost, although I did sniff it in a department store last week and it does smell of eucalyptus, which Superdrug does not. However, I bought the Superdrug copy version, currently on offer at £2.99 for 150 ml, and love it.

A lot of beauty bloggers rave about Aveeno, its a brand I will try in the future.

I sometimes get eczema on my elbows in hot weather, it itches like mad, angry red rash. Tried various things from the doctor and elsewhere, E45 itch relief stops the itching, nothing else works. Then read about Aveeno on the internet. It worked beautifully. Nourished and soothed the skin until the rash and itching went completely. I would never be without it now.

I have sensitive skin as well and QVC has really helped me over the years. I have learned the hard way never to gamble with anything that is used on the face or neck which is why I will stick with what I know. Mally, Doll 10, Tarte and Bare Minerals are all fine. With Body lotions - again as it stays on the skin I like to stick with what I know works. L'Occitane Shea and Prolagene all fine. However I have 2 free samples of Aveeno which were in Essentials Magazine so I will definitely try it.

So it's only shower gels, bubble baths, shampoos and conditioners where I am switching to Avon. I have used their "Naturals" shampoos and conditioners for ages now (I do reverse washing). In the clearance brochures you can get 750ml Cranberry & Honey shampoo for 99p! There are several shower gels and bubble baths for 99 p such as Naturals comforting fig and Apple blossom shower gels. I don't think I have ever been allergic to any of the Avon Naturals range. If I am, then at least it's cheaper than the postage costs on Q!

I am not saying I won't ever treat myself to a nice L'Occitane set one day, just that I don't think it's necessary to always go for expensive brands for the bath or shower, or basic hair products.

skincare for me is a waste of money as the more expensive it is the more likely i am to react to it. bit like tanya the model used for decleor. :blush: my hair needs better quality formulations so spend the money on that. i love nice body stuff so will spend on that to. a beautifully formulated shower gel but usually a bar of soap sets me up for the day the same for a quality body lotion l'occitane because the formulations are spot on and smell lovely. but everything has to be discounted....heavily

Since I developed mild roseaca(just finished a 3 month course of antibiotics, skin now brilliant), I am very careful what I use. I admit I stay well away from the cheap stuff, even expensive and read the ingredient list on the side of the box. I know Elemis PCMC does not upset my skin, Algenist does not either. I never buy before trying now, SpaceNK are brilliant at making like pots up and M&S as well if you want to try. QVC I used to buy most beauty TSVs way back and that has now stopped, I will go on Ebay for Elemis and never had a problem with fake.

Bath stuff I don't like SLS but will use some Molton Brown, was given a 100mls size of my choice yesterday in store when I bought a edt and a 30mls size too. I loved SpaceNK's own brand which is now discontinued, so I bought loads of it up for £3-5 a bottle in their sales. So guess I have enough for a few years.

I tried the Aldi own brand a few years ago and didn't think much of it - I even tested it on just one side of my face whilst using my usual brand on the other and my usual brand won easily.
I try to steer clear of parabens and other junk like that in my products.
I occasionally suffer from excema, even on my eyelids, tried Aveeno, but that didn't work - now I used Tarte maracuja oil and that seems to clear it up nicely, and it works on my cats itchy skin too ( cheaper than hydrocortisone injection from the vet).
I too, spend far too much on QVC, but what I do buy are usually bundle deals or unavailable elsewhere - like Tarte

I too am weaning myself off some QVC things. Still love my oils (AD skin synergy and JM Argan oil) but recently tried the Lacura moisturiser and hand cream from Aldi. The hand cream is amazing and a snip at 75p. I am making an effort to cut down on make up but that is my biggest weakness, and went for the Tarte TSV today even though I don't really NEED any of it. But OH is pleased as my parcel deliveries have become less and less.

I am trying to get out and do more, rather than just treating myself through purchases. And I have a lovely vintage tray on my bedside table with a bunch of products that I slather on before bed each night. Having them at hand somehow makes me use them more.

According to their magazine for next week's special offers Aldi have some new caviar skincare.

By the way Aldi Lacura Q10 cream has Spf20. Apart from Ultrasun I don't believe any QVC 'premium' face creams contain any Spf. Oh forgot Decleor BB cream has Spt15.

I too am on a skincare changeover from QVC like so many others mentioned on this thread and am very proud of the efforts I have made. I never buy Elemis any more, although very tempting as I do love the range and am using up all of my remaining pots and tubes. I am far more influenced by the people on this forum than QVC now and if taken as a total, all the comments and recommendation made have really helped, I've delved into far more interesting things by expanding the range as in not just QVC but high street, online and now more natural products. The last Alpha H TSV was so tempting but far beyond my budget and I still feel like I lost out on a good thing but I recently was in my local Poundland and found some Garnier Dark Spot Treatment Intensive Skin Renovator night treatment and it's working a treat. I have Lacura expert double effect eye gel but early days for that one. This is a person who though nothing of buying high end products years ago and can honestly say, my skin looks better now than it ever did. Another winner is natural fairtrade organic items, so satisfying to use, I'm a fanatic twice a week mask user so I thought I'd use natural clays and found a fabulous online retailer -http://www.akomaskincare.co.uk/. The best part is, to me immense surprise and satisfaction, they are based just a 3 minute car journey away from my own home and I can pick up items from their warehouse and I've met the staff and emailed them personally lots and had loads of feedback and it's been a wonderful experience all round. So much to a point I am thinking of applying for a job with them.

I have definitely been weaning myself off QVC beauty products but to be honest I think a lot of this could be due to the rubbish TSVs of late. I can't afford to be using expensive bubble baths every day of the week so have been buying Radox again and just use my good stuff on the weekends. It actually feels more of a luxurious treat then which is nice and gives me a lift. When I was chucking it in every day I don't think I really appreciated it and certainly during the week I don't have as long to lounge and soak in the bath as I do on the weekends.

I have mixed feelings. I've discovered some lovely skincare from qvc and will buy when the offer is good. So often though they seem to be having a laugh - the BPOM is a case in point. £55 for a timebomb serum? Let me just pick myself up off the floor. I have yet to see noticeable results from any serum and next time I feel the need to experiment aldi could certainly be my destination. Meanwhile, I wait for specials on decleor, gatineau, alpha h and superskin (but again, not the new serum at nearly £50. I tried a sample and it's pleasant but that's all. The oils are much better value). But I enjoy using the brands and they are fairly small indulgences in the great scheme of things.

Latest posts

Back