down the plughole?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Weathergirl

Registered Shopper
After a massive sorting out of finances and looking (in horror! )at how much money can be chucked away on QVC, I have been changing my ways. I set a rule that I would use everything up. I am on my last couple of bottles of expensive Q shower gels, (L'Occitane and Elemis bought in TSV's). I have decided that if it goes down the plughole in the bath or shower I will buy from the Avon clearance brochure for 99p! I will still buy ABC skinwash for the men in my life. I will still buy facial skincare and make up from QVC. Body lotions... have plenty left at the moment but still undecided as I do like the prolagene gel.

I'm afraid I've become a bit of a snob now on the bath and bodycare front. I always like to sniff what I'm likely to be bathing or showering in... and I'm now terribly picky!

Since I've discovered that I am generally better avoiding sodium laureth sulfate in products - definitely for the bath, I'm not going for any SLS-containing products. Shower I'm less picky as it's not on my skin for the same length of time... I really wouldn't be without my ABC skinwash.

My faves I've learned about from QVC are: Liz Earle bodywashes - especially the original Orange flower water one; L'Occitane Almond shower oil; Elemis Quiet Mind bath elixir...
but my supermarket favourite is Mandara Spa - which is from the Elemis stable - so I'm not all for the high-end stuff, honest!

However I am totally with you on turning over a new leaf and using up everything I've already got before getting anything new, as I am now annoyed with myself about how much I've spent during the time I've shopped with QVC.

Last edited:
After a massive sorting out of finances and looking (in horror! )at how much money can be chucked away on QVC, I have been changing my ways. I set a rule that I would use everything up. I am on my last couple of bottles of expensive Q shower gels, (L'Occitane and Elemis bought in TSV's). I have decided that if it goes down the plughole in the bath or shower I will buy from the Avon clearance brochure for 99p! I will still buy ABC skinwash for the men in my life. I will still buy facial skincare and make up from QVC. Body lotions... have plenty left at the moment but still undecided as I do like the prolagene gel.

I made a conscious decision to stop buying from QVC a couple of years ago, the things I bought were what I wanted and not one thing was what I needed, worse than that is when I added up the different between QVCs prices and what it would've cost me elsewhere, I as horrified how much more money I'd given QVC for the same thing, so I cancelled my account, and realised bigger isn't always better.

I too am weaning myself off some QVC things. Still love my oils (AD skin synergy and JM Argan oil) but recently tried the Lacura moisturiser and hand cream from Aldi. The hand cream is amazing and a snip at 75p. I am making an effort to cut down on make up but that is my biggest weakness, and went for the Tarte TSV today even though I don't really NEED any of it. But OH is pleased as my parcel deliveries have become less and less.

I am trying to get out and do more, rather than just treating myself through purchases. And I have a lovely vintage tray on my bedside table with a bunch of products that I slather on before bed each night. Having them at hand somehow makes me use them more.

I too am weaning myself off some QVC things. Still love my oils (AD skin synergy and JM Argan oil) but recently tried the Lacura moisturiser and hand cream from Aldi. The hand cream is amazing and a snip at 75p. I am making an effort to cut down on make up but that is my biggest weakness, and went for the Tarte TSV today even though I don't really NEED any of it. But OH is pleased as my parcel deliveries have become less and less.

I am trying to get out and do more, rather than just treating myself through purchases. And I have a lovely vintage tray on my bedside table with a bunch of products that I slather on before bed each night. Having them at hand somehow makes me use them more.

I agree with you, Aldis beauty is amazing, I use a lot of their beauty products with great results, if you swapped the labels on the Lacura for expensive brands, you probably wouldn't notice any difference.

Thing is, it's easy with hindsight, but you don't realise how the money mounts up until you do an audit, like you have, shopperholic. As you know, I haven't bought from Q for a few years and never bought anything from them in the toiletries or makeup line anyway, just because I thought Q was overly expensive for most things I'd buy or wasn't sure whether they'd irritate my skin - but I'm just as guilty of going into a chemist or department store and noseying around the counters, picking up this and that, especially if there's a deal on - such as 3 for 2. Each time you pick something up, you think "oo, that's not bad" - it's not until you do a total-up at home (as you've obviously been doing) that you realise what you've spent! As we've said on here before, it's psychology, sort of the "just add it to your order, now your order's open, you might as well" etc. etc. and although I've mocked selly telly presenters saying that, if I'm honest I've fallen into the trap on so many occasions, albeit in the dreaded High Street!! (wash my mouth out with soap and water, how very dare I!). It's not skin creams I buy a lot of in High St - because I stick to the same ones more or less and they are cheapies, but I do fall for other toiletries, and if I were to do a count-up (like you) I'd probably have a fit - so I'm taking the coward's way out and not doing it (ignorance, after all, is bliss!).

I made a conscious decision to stop buying from QVC a couple of years ago, the things I bought were what I wanted and not one thing was what I needed, worse than that is when I added up the different between QVCs prices and what it would've cost me elsewhere, I as horrified how much more money I'd given QVC for the same thing, so I cancelled my account, and realised bigger isn't always better.

Thing is, it's easy with hindsight, but you don't realise how the money mounts up until you do an audit, like you have, shopperholic. As you know, I haven't bought from Q for a few years and never bought anything from them in the toiletries or makeup line anyway, just because I thought Q was overly expensive for most things I'd buy or wasn't sure whether they'd irritate my skin - but I'm just as guilty of going into a chemist or department store and noseying around the counters, picking up this and that, especially if there's a deal on - such as 3 for 2. Each time you pick something up, you think "oo, that's not bad" - it's not until you do a total-up at home (as you've obviously been doing) that you realise what you've spent! As we've said on here before, it's psychology, sort of the "just add it to your order, now your order's open, you might as well" etc. etc. and although I've mocked selly telly presenters saying that, if I'm honest I've fallen into the trap on so many occasions, albeit in the dreaded High Street!! (wash my mouth out with soap and water, how very dare I!). It's not skin creams I buy a lot of in High St - because I stick to the same ones more or less and they are cheapies, but I do fall for other toiletries, and if I were to do a count-up (like you) I'd probably have a fit - so I'm taking the coward's way out and not doing it (ignorance, after all, is bliss!).

Yeah, it's easy to buy one more thing, at the end of the day I suppose there's worse things eh.

I think in the early days of my shopping with QVC I disappeared down a wormhole into a parallel universe. I thought nothing of paying £40 or £50 for a TSV of skincare, but would never think of spending more than about £5 in Boots. It took me years to realise that my skin looks exactly the same as it always had. So one day, helped by reading this forum, I stopped buying the Judith Williams, sent my latest Prai set back for a refund, and returned to the High Street. A couple of years on, using Olay, Nivea. Boots own Traditional brand etc and having been delighted when a Superdrug opened up locally, I find it hard to believe I was ever such an idiot to hand over hundreds, probably thousands, of pounds to QVC.

Tomorrow a friend and I will be going to Aldi, which some of you above have praised. We read about their £7 caviare skin cream in the Daily Mail, which the reporter said was nearly as good as Creme de la Mer at £250. (I did try to improvise once by slapping the contents of a tin of fish roe on my face...not recommended if you don't want your hair to smell for days as if you have a fish paste sandwich mouldering in it) It will be interesting to read if any of you posters here try the caviare creme de la boutique d'Aldi.

'Course there's worse - for a start, you could be buying Kinkycades by the dozen, so just think on, as they say. At least with smellies and such we get pleasure out of them, and we all like to feel good, which you won't do if you've bought a Kinky.

Yeah, it's easy to buy one more thing, at the end of the day I suppose there's worse things eh.

I have not tried any beauty products from Aldi, but think will give some a whirl now after reading some of your comments. I will keep an eye out for the caviar skin cream - although I bet there won't be any left when I turn up.

I did similar a couple of years back. My problem was buying things and then preferring what I already had. Not specific to QVC though. Not makeup either. I'm not adventurous there at all.

I made myself use every scrap of tut I had ever bought. I used the lot and for some things it took me nearly a blasted year!! I found though that some of the things I professed to love, I genuinely did and others, well I found cheaper and better alternatives. I still buy what I love but I only buy the products I want and need. So I'll buy PCMC and Skin Buff from Elemis but nowt else. My favourite body lotion WAS Elemis. Now its genuinely Garnier. I used to use Tigi and Redken shampoos now its what's on offer at the supermarket. I've cut back on spending and more importantly on waste but I still use the things I love.

'Course there's worse - for a start, you could be buying Kinkycades by the dozen, so just think on, as they say. At least with smellies and such we get pleasure out of them, and we all like to feel good, which you won't do if you've bought a Kinky.

Oh I agree! There's only one thing worse than a Kinky...........that's two Kinkys. :mysmilie_17:

Tomorrow a friend and I will be going to Aldi, which some of you above have praised. We read about their £7 caviare skin cream in the Daily Mail, which the reporter said was nearly as good as Creme de la Mer at £250. (I did try to improvise once by slapping the contents of a tin of fish roe on my face...not recommended if you don't want your hair to smell for days as if you have a fish paste sandwich mouldering in it) It will be interesting to read if any of you posters here try the caviare creme de la boutique d'Aldi.

I have been using Aldi everyday moisturiser for about 3/4 weeks now. It is in the Lacura range - Renew Daily Face Cream Q10 Anti Wrinkle. I paid £1.49 for 75ml.
I am going to continue to buy it.

I spend very little with either QVC, or any other source; I have no need, consequently, to wean myself off anything. There are certain products I will only buy from QVC, such as Elemis, because of the excellent, affordable price, and it is one of a couple of skincare ranges I am able to use on my skin, without reacting to it. Wen is another purchase. Nothing else.

I totally take all your points about high street can be as good, but for me, until i found the Q i couldnt use anything on my face. Literally. I used to wash my face with luke warm water and then scrub/exfoliate with a flannel. No makeup, cream or anything.

I had sore eyes with anything from every shop - boots, superdrug, supermarket. Even soap residue on my hands would make my eyes sore. I flinch when i walk past Lush, or somebody wearing a strong perfume, or i smell a chemical floor cleaner.

So it was a bit of a leap to try Liz Earle the first time! And SUCH a delight to discover i had no reaction.
In 10 years, sampling the Q's cosmetics like an overjoyed child in a sweetshop, i have only found issues with a few products:
- gatineau masque
- Gatineau exfoliator
- Liz Earle eye cream 'with brighteners'
- several Philosophy items
- Judith Williams magic makeup
- every mascara except mally
- A lot of the body lotions, esp if they contain perfume. JW's pongy bodylotion is terrible.

The rest have been awesomely, amazingly, gloriously, OK

I have tried the Lidl face care, also the Boots range that caused such a stir, but they both attacked my eyes something rotten.

And i have NO IDEA what causes the problem, although i think it includes perfumes and preservatives.

What can I say? I am doomed to spend on skincare. Sadly. ;)

Following my retirement from paid employment last year, I gave away a load of beauty stuff I bought from QVC.
I've narrowed my personal usage down to ABC bodywash, and Aveeno moisture lotion, which is cheaply available at Boots or Costco.
I kept some pots of moisturiser - PCMC & Hydra Floral, and some Iris balm, but whether I remember to use them is hit & miss!
I bought the Hairfix Follicle+ TSV on auto delivery, and find I already have enough to last me years!
I definitely won't be buying any expensive stuff from QVC again. As you say, when you visualise it going down the plughole, it's certainly an eye opener!

I too have to be very careful with skincare and hair products due to rosacea and a sensitive scalp so when I find something that I don't react to, I stick to it, whatever it is. That's why I use Tigi shampoo and sometimes Wen if I can afford it. SBC works for me and the big sizes are economical but then I get bored using the same thing all the time! I've just started to try Waitrose Pure as it's on offer so it's very cheap, very mild skincare and the skin polish and toner are really nice for about 99p or £1.49 or something similar. I also like Soap and Glory body products but can't use the skincare and Mandara Spa. I like to buy products made in the UK wherever possible. Elemis suits me but I simply can't afford it on a regular basis.

My ultimate favourite smell is Molton Brown Eucalyptus shower gel but I can't justify spending so much money on it any more. Likewise, L'Occitane handcream but if someone wants to buy me some, I won't say no!

I too have sensitive skin so have never messed around with brands once I found something which I don't react to. Cost means nothing to sensitive skin, 99p can be fab or awful same with £99. For this reason my skin care/makeup expenditure is very low and I don't buy from Q.

jewellery on the other hand........well I fully admit to being a real sinner here and Q gets quite a lot of my money, although a hellava lot less in the past 18 months. At least it doesn't go down the plug hole!!

I have been using Aldi everyday moisturiser for about 3/4 weeks now. It is in the Lacura range - Renew Daily Face Cream Q10 Anti Wrinkle. I paid £1.49 for 75ml.
I am going to continue to buy it.

This is the one I bought, but I think it was £1.99 for 50 ml. But I could be wrong on the ml. Anyway, goes on lovely, leaves skin velvety and a great base for make up, with SPF. I love it. I can't believe I only just did my first trip to Aldi. I may pop in tomorrow and try the caviar cream. Eat your heart out QVC!

I think I read that the Aldi caviar cream is a 'special', and it will probably sell out very fast. You'll need to be there 'early doors' girls!

Latest posts

Back