DSR again / QVC not a clue

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

lilian

Registered Shopper
My friend rung me this morning on the ceiling at QVC because of the load of old shite she has been told. She sent for a hairpiece from Ken Paves. When it arrived today & she unpacked it its not a good match so she rung Q & said it was going straight back & under DSR wanted a full refund. She was told it did not apply because she had told them too late. She ordered it Saturday ! Clearly within the time limit which is as quoted by Consumer Direct '' 7 working days after the day you receive your goods '.

She asked to speak with a manager & had a real fight to speak to one. She said the girl who originally dealt with her was a real snotty little madam & she had to threaten going to Marco Polo house to speak to a manager.

Now get this ! The manager told her that DSR would not appy in her case because ''she had opened the item & tried it on ''

She rung Consumer Direct & was told that this was totally untrue & that as long as she informed them within the time that she was sending the item back she was entitled to full refund plus postage. They advised that she should also email them informing them that she was sending the goods back. CD are putting it through to a trading standards officer as they said they are aware that QVC gives out wrong information on numerous occasions.

She then rung Q back to have a right good go at them but was apparently told that a note was on her account she had rung in & there had been a disagreement & on return of the item all monies would be credited back onto her CC.

So they do make notes what goes on when we ring in. Maybe we should all start asking to see what they write about us. I believe under Data Protection we are entitled to see it

Last edited:
I always thought it was stated that items must not be opened - and if they are something about only to inspect the goods??

- which she has in fairness - she just admitted she tried it on!! which would deem it as worn.

I'm pleased she was able to seek advice from CD:call:

i'm confused by this thread. hairpieces are non returnable?? yet you can send back emtpy cosmetic bottles, pierced earrings, worn clothes and i hate to think what else. am i being dim?:blush:

The DSR applies to the hairpiece because its reasonable to try it on because that's the only way you're going to be able to see if it suits and the law implies that. However, you are still expected to return an item in the condition you received i.e., brand new. It allows you to try it on, like with clothes, but if you wear it for a few days, take off the tag etc, style it, spray hairspray on it etc then you cannot return it under the DSR as the goods have been well and truly used and exceed the limits of the DSR. However, you did still have QVC's 30 day MBG and you also have your statutory right of return if the good are faulty (and in that instance, QVC must refund not only your original postage but your return postage too, as opposed to the DSR where you can only have the original postage refunded). With cosmetics, the DSR only apply where you are returning them in brand new and unopened condition, you will not be able to cancel under the DSR if you have used it because it isn't reasonable to use it first and then return it. Its cannot be resold by the retailer in that condition. You cannot return cosmetic products to a department store where you've used it and just don't like the product and nor can you online under the DSR. Of course if the product is faulty then you can exercise your statutory right to return. If you order your beauty products from QVC then of course you have a very generous 30 day MBG but you won't get your original p&p back.
Its very important to remember that you MUST notify QVC in writing of your intention to cancel under the DSR. The law states this quite clearly. You must indicate that you are cancelling the order. You have 7 working days from date of receipt to do so. Emailing QVC through the website is sufficient but you can of course also write to them. I tend to email. My gripe with QVC is that I invariably have to chase them because they haven't refunded the p&p back even though they have stated in writing (in reply to my email) that they will do so. They are serial offenders on this point, because its been happening to me for the last 18 months, despite reassurances from QVC that its either a "one-off" or " a mistake in the warehouse". Sooner or later QVC are going to end up in the doggy-doo-doo with the OFT for failing to comply with their obligations under the DSR.

My gripe with QVC is that I invariably have to chase them because they haven't refunded the p&p back even though they have stated in writing (in reply to my email) that they will do so. They are serial offenders on this point, because its been happening to me for the last 18 months, despite reassurances from QVC that its either a "one-off" or " a mistake in the warehouse". Sooner or later QVC are going to end up in the doggy-doo-doo with the OFT for failing to comply with their obligations under the DSR.

I constantly have to chase the return of original P&P when returning items under DSR (mostly jewellery) as QVC hopes that people don't notice or can't be bothered. I either didn't know about reutrning goods under DSR or did know at one time and forgot about it and have missed out on enough P&P returns not to make that mistake again. As most of my jewellery returns are related to sizing issues either with rings or actual size of the item itself, I make certain that I decide within a day or two of receiving it. I needed to go up or down my standard size, the actual size of an item is smaller/larger than it appeared onscreen or the quality isn't what I expected which had I been in a shop, I could have seen that clearly and not purchased.

QVC ought to do better on this matter of returning original P&P when items are sent back under DSR.

Damn and blast did nt realise you could get you p and p back I ve sent several bits of jewellery back straight away as size not correct

CS do know about the DSR code of practice, they just choose to ignore it unless pushed.

Yes, totally agree with this. I emailed the CEO about it on one occasion and had a telephone call apologizing for their omission. They assured me that the CEO knew nothing of this continual oversight and promised to look into procedures at the warehouse where they said the blame lay. They've obviously done sweet FA about it though as I still have the same problem every time I return something under the DSR. Methinks maybe an email to the OFT might be in order here.

I've returned a few things under DSR, skincare or makeup, I get the item, decide it i want to open it, does it look ok, what's the ingredient listing like etc and if not I email QVC to advise them of the intended return under DSR, I print that email off and put it with the slip in the parcel clearly stating I'm returning under DSR and every time I've done this I've received the appropriate refund.

I could level criticism at QVC for some things like not putting product ingredient listings on the website etc but for returns under DSR to date, fingers crossed, I've had no problems.

DSR allows you to inspect and item for faults, etc. Flamenco explains it really well.

I have never had a problem with QVC re returning an item. The only time I have had some difficulty, and unjustly so, has been when I have attempted to cancel an order and have been told it is already being processed - this has happened within hours - so I will need to return it. I would not get the p+p refunded. QVC has always managed to halt the process and cancelled my order, so no probs!
I think that one's observation of the colour of a hairpiece is quite subjective; what your friend may have perceived to be one colour, due to the description given, may not be the same as that of someone else. It seems that, in her case, the colour was not what she wanted, which is why the MBG is so instrumental when ordering from QVC.

Latest posts

Back