DSR article from local "legal-eagle"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
This is from a Plymouth Uni prof who writes artlcles for local newspaper and broadcasts on local radio and TV.

DON'T tell me how many shopping days I have left. Don't be surprised that I may well do most of my Christmas shopping here at my desk. Like many of us I am increasingly shopping online.

The Office of Fair Trading has been looking after our interests as consumers since 1973. As part of government cutbacks it is about to be abolished. Nonetheless, within the past few days it has published the results of a sweep of 156 websites belonging to top online retailers. They felt the need to contact 62 of them because they seem to be less than completely complying with consumer protection law.

As examples, 33 per cent of sites that provided information on cancellation appeared to impose unreasonable restrictions on consumers' rights to a refund. Most common was requiring that the product must be in the original packaging or in the original condition. Consumers have the right to examine the goods. 60 per cent provided a web contact form rather than an email contact address, as required by the E-Commerce Regulations. (2 per cent provided no electronic contact details at all!) While 60 per cent told us up front that compulsory charges would be added to the first price shown, 24 per cent of them added further unexpected charges at the check-out.

On the other hand, the vast majority complied with the Distance Selling Regulations: 99 per cent provided details on when the goods would be delivered or the service would start and 95 per cent provided a full geographical address when payment was required in advance. These DSR rules apply to businesses selling stuff online or by telephone, through interactive TV, by text or by mail order.

Perhaps I'm just naive, but I think that most business shortcomings like these come from simply not knowing what's required. So it's a good thing that the OFT has produced online guidance for businesses, the 'Distance Selling Hub' (www.oft.gov.uk/distanceselling) and a video for us consumers: 'Buying online: know your consumer rights'. It's on YouTube

Latest posts

Back