Elemis melting gel

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
(mum writes)

This gel came with the recent TSV and was described as being the next hero product. BUT! Am I the only one that finds it to be rubbish? Admittedly I have health problems and cannot use the shower or bath unaided, which means I use it at the sink. On the two occasions I have used it, I found it daunting having to massage for ages but the worst thing is that, once you add the water, it turns to liquid and end up running down my arms and everywhere. When it was demonstrated it seemed fine so am I doing it wrong? I'm having to double the quantity they said and find that it's making no difference to my skin either. I notice too that there's a big warning on the back to avoid your eyes. How are you supposed to do that if you use it in a shower and it's running everywhere? After Pipa's account of this cleanser, I half expected to look into the mirror and see some glowing reflection of perfection. What I got was a drowned rat.

Is it just me?

PS I had a disaster trying to get the Monoi melt out of its jar too. Keeley advised to transfer it into a pot to make it easier to use but all it did was make a mess. Perhaps this TSV was jinxed!

Not sure what's going wrong here Moth. I find it melts very quickly when I rub it on my skin. I don't use very much - the tiny sample sachet I got with the TSV postcard was enough for my face, neck & decollete.
Then I just dampened my hands to finish it off. Sounds like you might be using too much product and too much water perhaps? Maybe you could try a wrung out muslin cloth?

(mum writes)

PS I had a disaster trying to get the Monoi melt out of its jar too. Keeley advised to transfer it into a pot to make it easier to use but all it did was make a mess. Perhaps this TSV was jinxed!

Moth, I've used the Monoi melt for years. What I do is to place the Monoi container in another container containing hot water (from the tap); the solid Monoi melts into a delightful liquid. I massage the liquid over my body and follow it with either the nourishing milk bath or with the skin nourishing lotion. Cover with a bath robe and slob out with a good book!

Keeley suggested that you could decant the liquid into a small pot and let the liquid solidify. This could then be used on cuticles etc.

Hope that this helps.

Jay

PS I haven't tried the cleansing melt yet.

It does sound as if you are using too much water I just put about a 10 pence piece size blob on the tips of my fingers and massage it over my face it only takes a little time to "convert" into the oil then I massage that in for a few minutes longer (if I have time) then dampen my fingers and massage again then it goes milky and finally rinse with a cloth overall it takes about 5 minutes from start to finish and my skin feels lovely. I do it at the sink as well
I did notice during one presentation Keely put rather a lot of water on and it did run everywhere and make a right mess got a bit worried at that point as I had already ordered mine.

As for the monoi melt I must admit I did think about melting it and putting it ina pot but I just put in a bowl of hot water whilst I am in the bath/shower then find I can control the amount I use fairly easily. Again this is a product which I find better if I dont use too much just one drop per arm and one drop per leg and then one for the rest of me

I got the free sample and had the same problem. I used it in the shower but wasn't impressed at all. It just washed away and I didn't feel like I'd had a shower. I use monoi all the time and re-order when I run out. I stand the bottle in hot water in the sink and as soon as it starts to melt (only takes 2 minutes), even though most of it is still solid, I cup my hand and pour it out. If you don't melt the whole thing you will find it easier. Hope you get on with it cos it's really lovely as a hair mask, as well as on the body.

I got the TSV and using the gel, but it's not for me and I won't use it again once it runs out. You do get the problem with it running down your arms once the water is added, then messing around keeping it away from your eyes and using a different product on them. The other cleanser, pro radiance, is much better which is similar to cleanse and polish.

Found it to be a very very ordinary cleanser which you cannot use near your eyes due the the orange oil* they used in the formula to make it 'smell nice'. Also had a small breakout after third day of using it. I bought the TSV becausue I love the monoi so no biggy here I'll just chalk it up to a bad buy and continue using my Balancing Cleanser from alpha H. About time their PCMC had an spf in it too. A moisturiser without spf calling itself antiaging - the nerve. The hand and body cream is ok.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_oil

I wasn't keen on the cleanser when I tried the sample as I was using it to take off make up.Then I saw the demos & now use it as my morning cleanser instead of Tri Enzyme.I massage it on add a little water & wash off in the shower.Other than this after adding the water I would remove with damp cotton wool pads.

I've been using it in the morning as I don't think it removes makeup well, but don't like it as much as my usual Clarins one & shan't buy any more. It's not that user friendly either,having to keep it away from your eyes & be careful not to get it too wet. otherwise, as you say, it runs everywhere.

Found it to be a very very ordinary cleanser which you cannot use near your eyes due the the orange oil* they used in the formula to make it 'smell nice'. Also had a small breakout after third day of using it. I bought the TSV becausue I love the monoi so no biggy here I'll just chalk it up to a bad buy and continue using my Balancing Cleanser from alpha H. About time their PCMC had an spf in it too. A moisturiser without spf calling itself antiaging - the nerve. The hand and body cream is ok.

A lot of brands refuse to add spf incase of allergies. They state you should you a seperate one. Elemis infact to sell a non chemical block, which is prefered to many. Some thing the chemicals used in spfs can cause cancer.

Having a spf in a moisturiser has been shown as a cheap way of adding anti aging tag to the blurb. Any moisturiser with spf can say its anti aging even if that is all it has, not anti aging proven ingredients just spf. Watchdog did something about that one. Gatineau, Decleor and Liz Earle all prefer you to use a seperate SPF.

The Melting Cleanser, yes a small amount massaged in and wet fingers then rinse. Now I will say I would not buy this cleanser on its own, prefering the Sensitive Skin Wash or Rad one.

I think you will find with reference to Orange oil it is not there just for fragrance. It has brightening properties (hence suitable for dull, stressed skin) and is a skin conditioner. The reason for it not being suitable around the eyes is because of the papaya extract which can sting the eyes. As you will see in your web link there are many components to orange oil and these vary depending on variety of orange, also the concentrations allowed in skin care products is carefully controlled.

As for PCMC, it does not have to have an SPF for it to be anti- ageing. PCMC contains an abundance of antioxidants that protect the skin from external damage, eg pollution, smoke and sun damage. There are ingredients in there that rejuvenate and nourish the skin as well as providing antioxidant protection.

As Donna255 has mentioned Elemis do a non chemical SPF. These reflect the sun's rays from the skin whereas chemical ones are absorbed by the skin to absorb the sun's rays.
A non chemical one is much better for your skin.

In treatments I have never used wash off gel cleansers to remove make up and find these are best suited for use first thing in the morning.

I also get the impression that the Melting Cleansing Gel is aimed as a retail product for home use and not one that would be used in a facial in a salon. Elemis do a variety of cleansers to suit different skin types with different lifestyles and product preferences.

:sun:

Well I really love it.

Found out that less is definitely more with this and have only been using a 5p sized blob. Also, I think the trick is not to use too much water. Once I've spread it over my face and it's gone "oily" I just very lightly wet my fingers and massage again to allow it to turn milky, before removing with a cloth.

My skin seems to be feeling smoother since using this. May not necessarily pay £20ish for it when it's on sale individually, but I'm very happy to use the two I have and I think they'll last a good while.

Well I really love it.

Found out that less is definitely more with this and have only been using a 5p sized blob. Also, I think the trick is not to use too much water. Once I've spread it over my face and it's gone "oily" I just very lightly wet my fingers and massage again to allow it to turn milky, before removing with a cloth.

My skin seems to be feeling smoother since using this. May not necessarily pay £20ish for it when it's on sale individually, but I'm very happy to use the two I have and I think they'll last a good while.

Thats how I use it although sounds like I am using a bit more than you, have to say I love it as well I have been using this in the mornings and pro radiance at night and even after just a few days I think my skin is feeling much softer and does seem to be brighting as well.
I think the secret to cleansing is finding one that suits your skin and fits into your routine after all if its a faff to use then you wont use it and its a waste of money. I like wash of cleansers so the melting gel in the morning and the pro radiance at night suit me and therefore I use them other cleansers are just as good but I cant be bothered faffing around with cotton wool etc. so they end up unused on the bathroom shelve

A lot of brands refuse to add spf incase of allergies. They state you should you a seperate one. Elemis infact to sell a non chemical block, which is prefered to many. Some thing the chemicals used in spfs can cause cancer.

Having a spf in a moisturiser has been shown as a cheap way of adding anti aging tag to the blurb. Any moisturiser with spf can say its anti aging even if that is all it has, not anti aging proven ingredients just spf. Watchdog did something about that one. Gatineau, Decleor and Liz Earle all prefer you to use a seperate SPF. ....

.... As for PCMC, it does not have to have an SPF for it to be anti- ageing. PCMC contains an abundance of antioxidants that protect the skin from external damage, eg pollution, smoke and sun damage. There are ingredients in there that rejuvenate and nourish the skin as well as providing antioxidant protection.

As Donna255 has mentioned Elemis do a non chemical SPF. These reflect the sun's rays from the skin whereas chemical ones are absorbed by the skin to absorb the sun's rays.
A non chemical one is much better for your skin....

I'm very glad that the PCMC doesn't have a chemical SPF, but why did they put propylene glycol (bad for the liver)
and, even worse, dimethicone (a silicone) inside as 6th and 7th ingredients ?

Because of that, I only use the Oxygenating Night cream. :flower:

Still not sure about this.

I found that it takes ages when I massage on my face for the gel to turn "oily" (only using a small amount).

I dip my finger tips in water, to turn it to a milk, but it doesn't really turn that milky, although saying that what does turn milky ends up running down my arms !!!

I'm very glad that the PCMC doesn't have a chemical SPF, but why did they put propylene glycol (bad for the liver)
and, even worse, dimethicone (a silicone) inside as 6th and 7th ingredients ?

Because of that, I only use the Oxygenating Night cream. :flower:

The web is full of wonderful information on ingredients to avoid but they never really tell you the whole story and so I wouldn't trust everything you read.

If you ingested 100% propylene glycol (such as anti freeze and brake fluid) you would damage your liver and kidneys. A lot of fact sheets on the web are talking about pure concentrations (a bit like my post about orange oil) there are many factors to consider about any ingredient.

What is it's concentration? What is it's source? What is it's purpose? etc, etc

Propylene Glycol has so many functions and uses and therefore it's grade, concentration, and what product it is going into varies. In skin care it is used to help active ingredients penetrate the skin, it is a humectant to attract water to the skin and it also helps to bind the ingredients together. The grade used in skin care is not the same as antifreeze and the concentrations no where near!

Demethicone - again depends on source, concentration and type as above. It is an emollient and moisturising ingredient and helps the skin prevent moisture loss.
It has been used to treat scars and help heal wounds and creams based on Demethicone are available for this in varying concentrations.

If you have an oily skin then this ingredient could cause a problem because it mimics the skin's own natural sebum. By using this you are adding more oil to your existing oil production which you don't want but for other skin types a very useful moisturising ingredient.

Thanks for your answer, MsTrouble ! :flower:

The web is full of wonderful information on ingredients to avoid but they never really tell you the whole story and so I wouldn't trust everything you read.
...Neither would I !

If you ingested 100% propylene glycol (such as anti freeze and brake fluid) you would damage your liver and kidneys. A lot of fact sheets on the web are talking about pure concentrations (a bit like my post about orange oil) there are many factors to consider about any ingredient.

What is it's concentration? What is it's source? What is it's purpose? etc, etc

Propylene Glycol has so many functions and uses and therefore it's grade, concentration, and what product it is going into varies. In skin care it is used to help active ingredients penetrate the skin, it is a humectant to attract water to the skin and it also helps to bind the ingredients together. The grade used in skin care is not the same as antifreeze and the concentrations no where near!
I have a weak liver and it ached after one week (morning and evening) of using Liz Earle's Skin Repair normal/dry which contains a lot of propylene glycol.

Demethicone - again depends on source, concentration and type as above. It is an emollient and moisturising ingredient and helps the skin prevent moisture loss.
It has been used to treat scars and help heal wounds and creams based on Demethicone are available for this in varying concentrations.
Petrolatum is also used to treat scars and I wouldn't use it !

If you have an oily skin then this ingredient could cause a problem because it mimics the skin's own natural sebum. By using this you are adding more oil to your existing oil production which you don't want but for other skin types a very useful moisturising ingredient.
My skin is very dry and it really needs vegetable oils ! :flower:

Petrolatum is not used to treat scars exclusively. Petrolatum creates a barrier over the skin to prevent moisture loss in the same way demethicone does and by doing this it makes the skin heal itself naturally. I'm still not 100% sure about demethicone as some reports say the molecules are too big to enter the skin hence forming a film/barrier and others say that silicone is possibly harmful , but how if it can't get through the skin?

If you have a weak liver then processing food, drink, medication etc could also be a problem or be highly sensitive to certain things as everything you injest is processed by the liver to remove any harmful substances. If propylene glycol causes you a problem then you are very right to avoid it but to most people will not cause them any issues.
Again we don't know the concentration, where is it sourced etc. In products, we just know by the label that the product contains it.

For really dry skin you could try using underneath your moisturiser an oil like A'kin Rosehip oil, or even just buy a plain oil like Sweet Almond (providing you don't have a nut allergy) which is excellent for dry skin and massage that on at night. Dry skin, apart from water, lacks essential fatty acids and so would look at products that contain this or use plain vegetable oils or even look at supplements like Omega oils, Evening Primrose and
Vitamin E.

I would seek doctors advice first regarding intake of oils because of weak liver.

Having a spf in a moisturiser has been shown as a cheap way of adding anti aging tag to the blurb. Any moisturiser with spf can say its anti aging even if that is all it has, not anti aging proven ingredients just spf. Watchdog did something about that one. Gatineau, Decleor and Liz Earle all prefer you to use a seperate SPF.

The Melting Cleanser, yes a small amount massaged in and wet fingers then rinse. Now I will say I would not buy this cleanser on its own, prefering the Sensitive Skin Wash or Rad one.

Can I use with clarisonic once it has turned to liquid. Once I have massaged it turns to liquid on my face fairly quickly

A lot of brands refuse to add spf incase of allergies. They state you should you a seperate one.

Any moisturiser that contains a decent spf is anti aging and anything at all can cause an allergy and ofc they want you to buy a seperate one and preferably from them! In fact contact dermatitis to sunscreens is not as common as allergy to cosmetics.

As you will see in your web link there are many components to orange oil
All orange oil (as you can see from my link) is more than 90% limonene which is a skin irritant and shouldn't be used around the eyes. You are right about the papaya extract which although much further down the list of ingredients should also be avoided around the eye area. So all in all really best to find a gentler cleanser that can take your make up off, eyes included, and be used night and morning than have to buy 2 seperate cleansers for the simplest of purposes. Wash on wash off product after all not going to do any much of anything except wash off dirt and make up.

Some thing the chemicals used in spfs can cause cancer

Such as? I think you'll find that it's all highly speculative, in fact there is even some speculation that natural sunscreens can cause cancer too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunscreen_controversy

PCMC contains an abundance of antioxidants that protect the skin from external damage, eg pollution, smoke and sun damage.

All I can find that is tried and tested is the vit E in the wheatgerm oil and ginkgo to reduce inflammation. There is no evidence that any of the algae extracts applied topically have any benefits for your skin and the carrot oil while have some antioxidant effect can , that's a can not a will, cause dermatitus. However, as around 75% of what we perceive as aging comes from sun damage, the fact remains the best and biggest favour you can do for your face is to protect it from the sun and to call any face cream without it anti aging is just a nonsense.

I wouldn't trust everything you read.
Absolutely or hear from cosmetic companies.

Latest posts

Back