Ernest Borgnine has died

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My Mother, God rest her was quite advanced in years when she had me. Indeed she was old enough to be my Grandma.

We were, however, very close and Saturday afternoons would be spent watching the old Hollywood films on BBC 2. She loved trying to remember the names of all the old stars and for a Christmas present I would buy her a glossy book of some star or other. As a result I grew up knowing the names of all these iconic stars and quite honestly I loved them too.

I can remember watching Ernest Borgnine in Marty and being so moved by his performance. He wasn't one of the Hollywood heart-throbs. Actually he had a kind face and looked more like a workman of some sort rather than someone who might attend an Oscar award ceremony. Billy off DIY SOS reminds me of him if I'm honest. He always seemed to have two kinds of parts, the lame dog ones or the bully. You either felt sorry for him or you hated his guts. All of this just went to prove what a fine actor he was. He was a fine method actor and "became" the man he was playing.

Mrs Borgnine, Tova, (forgive my familiarity but most of us feel we know you on here), please accept my heartfelt condolences at losing your life partner.

Riposa in pace x

Just have been reading about him, I realise that most of us knew very little about him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Borgnine
So sad for poor Tova, if he had lived till January, they would have been celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary and as usual had another renewing of their wedding vows and of course he would have presented her with another fab item of jewellery:sad:

Very sad to hear this news. And thinking of Tova at this time. Debbie G just said on her blog
that Tova had gone to the trouble of sorting out something for her daughter"s birthday last
week. obviously before this awful news. But just goes to show you, that you don"t really know
people, how kind of her to do that and remember when the birthday was. A really nice
person, Tova

Ah thats sad...poor Tova....don't watch many of her shows but when I do,she seems totally devoted to him

Ah thats sad...poor Tova....don't watch many of her shows but when I do,she seems totally devoted to him
He had been married 5 times and to stay with Tova for 30 years says something . I try to watch Tova whenever I can, because she always looked as if she had just had a bath, I mean she looked clean , fresh and so elegant and dressed well and it was nice to see how the presenters always took the trouble to appear well dressed too. Tova always had something to say about Ernie and it was obvious that she thought so much of him and was proud of him (I know it was all Hollywood and all that, but it must have been quite strong to last 30 years)
She comes into our house often via QVC, so I feel really sad for her, like I would for someone I know.
I wish somehow she was aware of how we are thinking about her. She will really appreciate that.

Tova has always come across to me as a warm genuine lady who was clearly devoted to her husband, I hope she is surrounded by friends and family in this dreadfully sad time for her.
RIP Ernest Borginine and thank you for your films

Yes, as some has said, its sad that a lot of the younger generation have no idea who these great old movie stars are. Even the movie channels seem to favour comedys and teenage pap from the 90's upwards, so its not surprising that superb actors like Ernie Borgnine are unheard of. Its even sadder when I overheard a teenager the other day ask who Frank Sinatra was !!!! It really is a case of what is the world coming to ?

Yes, correct it was nearly 40 years, they were married in 1973. I see Wiki has updated Ernie's details giving the cause of death as kidney failure. The link below gives a detailed resume of his very long and fulfilling life.

I do hope QVC UK has sent Tova their condolences and sympathies for her very sad loss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Borgnine

I fondly recall Ernie being on QVC he seemed a very down to earth person, enjoy chatting and having a laugh.
Not at all stuffy and full of himself as I may have expected.

He'd been busy working up until recently and obtained the Life Time Achievement Award.

I'd like to think Ernie the Legend is flying up above in the Airwolf helicopter looking down on us.

Thinking of Tova and their families at the upsetting time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJmkAsE683g&feature=fvwrel

He was a great comedic actor in McHales Navy. His co-star Tim Conway reunited to work with him in the SpongeBob programmes, 40 years later. That says a great deal about the man! Also saw on the link, that Andy Griffith passed. Old films, Matlock, Andy Griffith Show - another respected actor we shall miss. R I P

Yes, as some has said, its sad that a lot of the younger generation have no idea who these great old movie stars are. Even the movie channels seem to favour comedys and teenage pap from the 90's upwards, so its not surprising that superb actors like Ernie Borgnine are unheard of. Its even sadder when I overheard a teenager the other day ask who Frank Sinatra was !!!! It really is a case of what is the world coming to ?

I was watching Celebrity Come Dine With Me the other day and Jan Leeming had a photo of her with Omah Sharif and Javine Hylton who was one of the other guests said she didn't know who he was !

A sad day, especially for Tova, I hope that she will get through her grief and the dark days to come. They had a very happy marriage I believe and to be so close to their Ruby anniversary is a blow. Hang on to the happy memories.
Inge xx

I was watching Celebrity Come Dine With Me the other day and Jan Leeming had a photo of her with Omah Sharif and Javine Hylton who was one of the other guests said she didn't know who he was !

Exactly what I mean ! On the other hand, I have absolutely no idea who most of the so called 'stars' are on the tele these days. I must be the only one who has never watched The Voice, X Factor, BGT and the one from Essex, and the rest of the banal programmes they call entertainment.

Ernie was an Actor and Tova is Glamour, the passing of an era.

I saw Ernie in A Grandpa For Christmas, a few years back - it was a lovely film and he was great in it - well deserving of the Golden Globe.

Found this anecdote about his marriage to Ethel Merman quite amusing:

The coupling of thrice-wed Broadway belter Ethel Merman and twice-wed Oscar-winner Ernest Borgnine is one of the kookiest in Hollywood history. The unlikely duo's knot began unraveling on their honeymoon, when, according to Borgnine, he garnered the lion's share of fan attention, which left Merman seething. "By the time we got home, it was hell on earth," he recalled in 2001. "And after 32 days I said to her, 'Madam, bye.'" But things weren't exactly coming up roses for the Merm: she was allegedly subjected to the silent and deadly "Dutch Oven," which involved Borgnine releasing toxic fumes in bed while trapping her under the sheets. Merman, who never again married, devoted a chapter of her autobiography to the Borgnine marriage: It consisted of one blank page.

Latest posts

Back