Fashion or slovenly

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
This will show my age, I know, BUT will someone please enlighten me as to WHY its the "thing" to wear the sleeves of jumpers way down to the palm of the hand.

Catherine Huntley is doing just that on a Cashmasoft show right now.

Wheres the problem in turning the cuffs back to the wrists ? How can you function with half your hand covered up ? Personal opinion I realise, but it looks naff rather than fashionable.

AND dont get me going on ladies who wear jackets with too long sleeves. Time and again on the tele, I see even celebs (Judy Finnegan- remember her ? in particular), cant be bothered to spend a few quid having their sleeves shortened to the wrists, so instead wear them practically covering their thumbs. Seriously not a good look.

I like jumpers with longer sleeves.I'd take a jumper with long sleeves over a jumper that had long sleeves that are too short any day!!

I just think its more comfy...plus a bit more fashionable.If they get in the way just pull them up!

This will show my age, I know, BUT will someone please enlighten me as to WHY its the "thing" to wear the sleeves of jumpers way down to the palm of the hand.

Catherine Huntley is doing just that on a Cashmasoft show right now.

Wheres the problem in turning the cuffs back to the wrists ? How can you function with half your hand covered up ? Personal opinion I realise, but it looks naff rather than fashionable.

AND dont get me going on ladies who wear jackets with too long sleeves. Time and again on the tele, I see even celebs (Judy Finnegan- remember her ? in particular), cant be bothered to spend a few quid having their sleeves shortened to the wrists, so instead wear them practically covering their thumbs. Seriously not a good look.

Totally agree, I think it looks awfull and spoils the jacket/cardigan/jumper! I want to go up to them and fold the sleeves back! Lol

It must be an age thing.............because I agree with you. CH thinks she's still in her teens.

Yes, it is very much a teen look.
The little lost waif look, which let's face it, it NOT Chuntley.

As for you Frazzled ..... lol

I spend my life shoving sleeves up as they annoy the hell out of me when they're too long - but I don't like 3/4 sleeves..why's that..? Answers on a postcard please!

I'm exactly the same Carol, being short, standard sleeves are too long and it's amazing how shortening them just 1cm makes a huge difference, but when I see myself in 3/4 lendth sleeves they don't look right somehow.

The droopy long long sleeve look has been around since I was at school in the 70s, generally coupled with pigeon-toed stance and rounded shoulders. Short-@rses like me always tried to walk tall by contrast.

Jude xx

Oh to have such a problem! At 5' 10" with very long arms, most sleeves are three-quarter or just-below-elbow length on me which is OK on sweaters etc but difficult with coats. I've still got a couple of pairs of long leather evening gloves that belonged to my mum and they fill in the gap rather well!

Very true, it's certainly easier to shorten sleeves and trousers than add a couple of cm!

Jude xx

Oh to have such a problem! At 5' 10" with very long arms, most sleeves are three-quarter or just-below-elbow length on me which is OK on sweaters etc but difficult with coats. I've still got a couple of pairs of long leather evening gloves that belonged to my mum and they fill in the gap rather well!

it'isnt very often i get the luxury of having sleeves too long. i too am 5'10 and tend to go for 3/4 sleeves whenever possible so i dont look half mast lol Tall ranges at some shops are great and then i dont have to go up a size to get an extra inch on the sleeves

Being 5ft 1 and a half inches all sleeves are too long on me. I have narrow shoulders too, so I think the problem is the shoulder seam is below my shoulder line to start with. I love 3/4 sleeves, they usually come about two inches above my wrist. I used to think clothes were made for orang tangs!!!!!

Funny I was talking to someone at the weekend, she collects and wears vintage clothes. She said that the sleeves were different back then more fitted and a proper length.

My mum used to turn sleeves on coats and jackets for me.

I'm 5'7 and it doesn't matter where I buy jackets / coats from - be it qvc, high street or catalogues, - and because they are all mass made, the manufacturers give little thought to sleeve measurements - hence they believe the Orangutan look is the one to go for. So it always costs me around £15 to get the sleeves shortened, otherwise they irritate the hell out of me if they are below wrist length.

To be honest, men are no better. I cringe when I see a chap in a suit with ill-fitting trousers (especially wedding photos) that concertina around the ankle, and jackets worn incorrectly without that little bit of shirt cuff showing beneath the sleeve wrist.

(I worked for a while in a 'proper' gents outfitters)

I'm 5'7 and it doesn't matter where I buy jackets / coats from - be it qvc, high street or catalogues, - and because they are all mass made, the manufacturers give little thought to sleeve measurements - hence they believe the Orangutan look is the one to go for

Perhaps you'd like to point Borednow and me in the direction of these Orang Utan outfitters......

I think it is a throwback to the grunge look. My daughter used to buy jumpers with those stupid long sleeves when she was in sixth form in the mid 90's. The daft thing was she used to have to grab the edges to keep them pulled down too.

I just have no time with most of these youngsters who don't stand properly and walk tall.

I can't even bear looking at Anna with her bandy legs. Wish to God she would wear trousers.

I don't think I'm a teenager, actually I know I'm 43. I'd like to think I walk tall and stand 'properly'. I'm 5ft 6in with quite long arms so clothes are generally designed for my height etc. I don't have hideous wrists to hide. My hands are usually warm enough, so no need to replace gloves. And I LIKE wearing tops with long sleeves. It's comfy, it's my 'thing' and, I'm afraid I'll just have to go on offending everyone else's sensibilities. ;-)

Oh for goodness sake ! its not personal, its just peoples viewpoints - which is what this forum is about !! and I thought some would have realised that after being on here for so long.

Oh for goodness sake ! its not personal, its just peoples viewpoints - which is what this forum is about !! and I thought some would have realised that after being on here for so long.
Which is why I included a 'winky smiley face' at the end of my comment. ;-) - see?

Latest posts

Back