fish collagen in beauty products. tsv serum

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

boffy

Registered Shopper
i am so mad. qvc spends too much time chatting crap rather than doing what it used to do well:informing the customer. now we find that the many man hours spent promoting stuff is really just plain old sales talk. i found a website called 'natures wisdom' heralding a new dawn of fish collagen that has fantasic results. i am wondering if that dreaded pro collagen marine cream has this stuff in it.
i am not saying people will or wont like it but why cant they just tell us the flippin truth.

No Elemis use seaweed not fish.

Where did you think the collagen came from?

Its either veg ie seaweed, fish or bovine. Illegal to use human collagen in products. Ideal World Pro Collagen range is cow.

i am so mad. qvc spends too much time chatting crap rather than doing what it used to do well:informing the customer. now we find that the many man hours spent promoting stuff is really just plain old sales talk. i found a website called 'natures wisdom' heralding a new dawn of fish collagen that has fantasic results. i am wondering if that dreaded pro collagen marine cream has this stuff in it.
i am not saying people will or wont like it but why cant they just tell us the flippin truth.

This site says they don't use any animal ingredients in their products - although I thought there was a post last year (may have been on the old board) saying it was fish ...

http://www.sbcgels.co.uk/faq.asp

it also states further down that ...

"The Collagen used in our SBC Collagen Gel and Collagen Bath Soak is a Yeast Extract whereas the Collagen used in our Collagen Shower Crème and Collagen Hydra-Serum is a Marine based Collagen."

I know what you mean though. What people say on their products (such as we don't test on animals) can be quite ambiguous. Just because they don't doesn't mean their supplier doesn't - you have to contact the brands direct usually to try and get a straight answer.

hello
I'm responsible for the fish collagen thing and as far as I'm concerned its true.

I emailed the sbc website on 20.8.08 (I've still got the response) and I quote:

Thank you for your recent enquiry, the Collagen in our Serum is a marine collagen sourced from fishes in the north part of the Atlantic

Sounds like it comes from fish unless they have a hit team of expert cod out gathering seaweed for them :O

(Unless they've reformulated since last august)

Last edited:
The animal testing thing is a bit of a minefield too. Companies may not test themselves or support testing, may not get other people to test for them or purchase test results but they are likely to use ingredients whose safety has been proven in the past by animal testing simply because most things have been tested in that way, or they may formulate products on the basis of general advice which has in part resulted from animal testing.

hello
I'm responsible for the fish collagen thing and as far as I'm concerned its true.

Thank you for your recent enquiry, the Collagen in our Serum is a marine collagen sourced from fishes in the north part of the Atlantic

Sounds like it comes from fish unless they have a hit team of expert cod out gathering seaweed for them :O

That's very naughty saying of them to say on their site that there are no animal ingredients in their products then isn't it? Slapped wrists SBC!

Ah but do they qualify fish as an animal? Its all very confusing.

I know I wouldn't touch IW Pro coll as its cow. Elemis diffo use a seaweed, but not your bog standard stuff hanging round the beach.

The thing is people take codliver oil etc and eat fish even those who are veggies. So where does the fish collagen fit in there?

plant collagen is kind of useless our body aparently does not recognise it.so it will not rebuild the collagen lost in our skin that causes lines sagginess etc. but i dont mind any cosmetic company using this stuff(fish collagen) if you need it but what annoys me is when qvc obviously can tell us the consumers whats in a product. you can then make an informed choice as to whether you use itor not.
i am quite convinced that people will get a better result from fish collagen but why not tell us when you are spending several hours pushing a product and chooes not to tell us a vital ingredient that some people may find offensive.

hello

This is the reason I have never bought an SBC TSV since 2001 ! That TSV came with a 500ml size of collagen gel, and every time I used it all I could smell was fish, it was faint but definitely there. Needless to say, I binned it. Clarins used to put tuna extracts in their suncare range, and it used to stink ! Blurgh :26:

Ah but do they qualify fish as an animal? Its all very confusing.

I know I wouldn't touch IW Pro coll as its cow. Elemis diffo use a seaweed, but not your bog standard stuff hanging round the beach.

The thing is people take codliver oil etc and eat fish even those who are veggies. So where does the fish collagen fit in there?

Yes - if you are vegetarian fish DO (or should!) count. Vegetarians don't eat flesh of any sort.

http://www.vegsoc.org/fish/

This is the reason I have never bought an SBC TSV since 2001 ! That TSV came with a 500ml size of collagen gel, and every time I used it all I could smell was fish, it was faint but definitely there. Needless to say, I binned it. Clarins used to put tuna extracts in their suncare range, and it used to stink ! Blurgh :26:

Eurgh!

I have to say my Rosehip Oil from Trilogy (and that product is vegan) started smelling faintly fishy as I got towards the end so I binned it.

Why on earth would you put Tuna in suncare I wonder? They're not renowed for having great tans are they?!

Emu oil products anyone? That grosses me out no matter how effective it's supposed to be. :64:

What is Emu oil? I was watching a beauty hour during the night and the woman said her foot lotions and potions had organic emu oil and I don't know what it is.

Emu oil is a fat high in omega 9(I think) that is harvested from the emu bird's back. There is a pad like a saddle on the bird's back afaik and the oil is stored there. :64:

What is Emu oil? I was watching a beauty hour during the night and the woman said her foot lotions and potions had organic emu oil and I don't know what it is.

It's basically oil/fat from the Emu bird - I assume it's a bi-product of the meat industry (like bovin collagen) but I'm not entirely sure. Never used it - and never will. Lots of people swear it's great for your face but like Vampyre, it makes me go yuck too.

Emu oil is a fat high in omega 9(I think) that is harvested from the emu bird's back. There is a pad like a saddle on the bird's back afaik and the oil is stored there. :64:

Ah I didn't know that - do they harvest it when the bird is dead or alive? Either way, not using it! Just curious!

Dead afaik, I remember seeing some FAQ page about emu oil saying that it is indeed a by product of the meat industry. :64:

I had a look around and it seems to be the norm to refer to fish collagen as marine collagen. This is the term they used on QVC about the hydra serum. It should still say on their site that it comes from fish though. I think it's easy to presume it's from seaweed or something when saying the broad term of marine.

Latest posts

Back