Flower pot safe

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
This initially seemed a very good idea, but .....

Screenshot (2060).png

Although it is the right shape for a flower pot, a REAL one would be the same material throughout, it would not have a glossy top and a matt base.

Also, they said you could use real plants and water them, but there were no drainage holes and if there were, the water would just drain into the items in the safe.

They also had a rock with a hidden compartment to hide in your garden with a spare key (they even showed banknotes in it) but the rock looked very glossy and unrealistic, and it was obviously not waterproof.

Flowerpot:

Rock:

Screenshot (2062).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (2060).png
    Screenshot (2060).png
    237.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1690019313882.png
    1690019313882.png
    386 KB · Views: 25

They also had a rock with a hidden compartment to hide in your garden with a spare key (they even showed banknotes in it) but the rock looked very glossy and unrealistic, and it was obviously not waterproof.
Rock:

View attachment 26141
So an opportunist burglar would look around for something to smash the glass in the door with, spot the “rock” glistening in the moonlight and then discover the key inside - job‘s a good’un! QVC (who know all about robbery) can sell it on the basis that it will save you having to replace the glass.

And another thing about the pot safe, many people leave a spare key under a flowerpot, so that's the first place a burglar would look. And as soon as he tried to lift the pot, the top would come off, and he would then walk away with the whole pot and come back with the key another day to burgle you after smashing the pot to get the key.

And the other ridiculous thing, whch the expert actually mentioned on air, was that if you locked youself out, you could let yourself in with the spare key inside the pot PROVIDED YOU HAD THE POT KEY WITH YOU, which would undoubtedy be inside the house with the rest of you keys LOL. :)

I’ve got a key safe outside and you need a combination to open it. My son knows the combination but he’s the only person other than me.

This reminds me of the "blue stone" my mum used to have at her front door with her keys very unsafely unhidden inside it :LOL: :LOL: I mean just WHO has a fake blue stone in their garden and thinks no one would notice it??? Might as well have had a big red neon arrow pointing to it with "keys here" written all over it. I got rid.

CC

So an opportunist burglar would look around for something to smash the glass in the door with, spot the “rock” glistening in the moonlight and then discover the key inside - job‘s a good’un! QVC (who know all about robbery) can sell it on the basis that it will save you having to replace the glass.
I would imagine a seasoned thief would avoid breaking glass. Too much attention!

I would imagine a seasoned thief would avoid breaking glass. Too much attention!
Well, it’s not ideal for them, no, but a neighbour three doors down from me had her kitchen window smashed when she was burgled last year. Middle of the day, too. Sometimes, they are just bold. I was advised by a crime prevention officer to get rid of a few bricks left from a building job years ago but you will never remove all temptation from criminals.

Anyway, I was taking the pee out of a QVC product above, as we all like to do (even though I buy more than I should!). But seriously, I would consider a decent place or object to secrete a key outside myself. If you can hide a “stone” as Eric’s Mum does, I think that’s a good option.

Anyway, I was taking the pee out of a QVC product above, as we all like to do (even though I buy more than I should!). But seriously, I would consider a decent place or object to secrete a key outside myself. If you can hide a “stone” as Eric’s Mum does, I think that’s a good option.
My spare keys are in a glass jar inside another glass jar, so should be waterproof.

They are buried in part of my garden where only I know (it is a large garden BTW).

I keep a trowel in another part of the garden, and so far I've only had to dig them up once (in about 20 years) when I locked myself out.

I saw a key safe on QVC (I didn't know they existed until then) and bought one cheaper elsewhere, But I've not installed it yet as I think it would be a temptation to burglars to smash it off the wall, take it away to smash it up, then return later. I am still looking for a suitable place to mount it out of sight.

My spare keys are in a glass jar inside another glass jar, so should be waterproof.

They are buried in part of my garden where only I know (it is a large garden BTW).

I keep a trowel in another part of the garden, and so far I've only had to dig them up once (in about 20 years) when I locked myself out.

I saw a key safe on QVC (I didn't know they existed until then) and bought one cheaper elsewhere, But I've not installed it yet as I think it would be a temptation to burglars to smash it off the wall, take it away to smash it up, then return later. I am still looking for a suitable place to mount it out of sight.
As crude a solution as it may seem, I think the jar(s) buried in the garden idea is good and obviously effective.