Gem Collector Prices

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

An excellent summary.

I've definitely got rose tinted glasses for those early days when I first started watching circa 15 years ago.

I haven't watched consistently over that time... Do you think the business model changed during covid lockdowns? With people not being able to go out physically to shop for non-essential items, did Gems diversify into candles, clothing, makeup, supplements and homewares?

I get it that jewellery is a one off purchase. Once you've got one amethyst pendant, you might want some matching earrings. But those pieces should last for years.
Candles burn, makeup gets used, supplements need continual use - ie they need replacing and become a monthly purchase rather than the one off jewellery purchase. I can see it makes sense from a business perspective to have repeat sales each month.

Have they submitted the financial reports for last year? IIRC you were keeping an eye out for them, to get an indication of the overall health of the business? I'd be curious to know what you find.

I guess if I have a point to make, it's that I want to see a better overall quality of the stones, with more realistic prices.
I too am a January baby, but only coz I was premature :p Joking aside, I agree with the quality comment, but to add to that would be, whatever the quality of stones, the prices should reflect that. The lesser grade, the lower price, the higher grade, the higher: within reason. The more included, if it shouldn't be, the lesser, the lesser included, the higher.

An excellent summary.

I've definitely got rose tinted glasses for those early days when I first started watching circa 15 years ago.

I haven't watched consistently over that time... Do you think the business model changed during covid lockdowns? With people not being able to go out physically to shop for non-essential items, did Gems diversify into candles, clothing, makeup, supplements and homewares?

I get it that jewellery is a one off purchase. Once you've got one amethyst pendant, you might want some matching earrings. But those pieces should last for years.
Candles burn, makeup gets used, supplements need continual use - ie they need replacing and become a monthly purchase rather than the one off jewellery purchase. I can see it makes sense from a business perspective to have repeat sales each month.

Have they submitted the financial reports for last year? IIRC you were keeping an eye out for them, to get an indication of the overall health of the business? I'd be curious to know what you find.

It was reported that Gemporia had a huge increase in turnover during lockdown (presumably because of people being able to to in to buy while they're furloughed from work).

It was the following year that they took out the huge bank loan - so yes, I suspect Covid did change things, but rather than business going quiet, it would appear that they got a bit cocky and assumed that the turnover levels were the new norm and were going to continue. Reading between the lines, they took out that huge loan, business dropped, and now they're struggling to pay it back (hence the redundancies and huge increase in prices).

Their business model changed way before that though. Troth has been bringing us his Jade for 4 years. That takes us to 2020. They've been doing the 'special guest' lectures on the screen for at least 8 years (I saw an old clip the other day from 2016).

Primal Living and all the homewares was around a good 3 or 4 years before the Covid stuff too.

In my opinion, the rot started when Steve realised that Gemporia wasn't going to expand as big as he thought it would. Gemporia America didn't take off. Gemporia India didn't take off. He tried getting Gemporia jewellery into shops - but that seemed short-lived. He also started selling via Virgin Atlantic flights - but that seems to have died too. The Charity channel failed. Lifestyle was shut down. The Lounge was closed down. The Outlet was closed down. Gem Collector had its hours reduced and presenters cut from four to two. Jewellery Maker had its hours reduced.

Steve then set up Primal and seemed to lose interested in Gems TV.

A half-arsed former owner, and a company run by incompetent (Colin) and/or inexperienced (Jake) Managing Directors isn't going to bode to well.

Steve Bennett has (apparently) had experience running businesses before. What I couldn't work out was how he could ever think it was a good idea to employ Colin Wagstaffe, who could ramble for England on TJC but seemed to have very little actual knowledge and had clearly cultivated the art of BS, otherwise I cannot see how he would have ended up 'managing' companies. And as for Jake - nepotism is one thing, but if you are experienced in business and of a certain age that brings you experience of life and people, you should (emphasise 'should') be astute enough to realise that taking family into a business is not always a good idea, in fact often it's a disaster. Whatever was Steve thinking of?

But then I remember that Steve was presumably the person who thought employing Peter Simon was a good idea....what a success that turned out to be. :rolleyes:

He also started selling via Virgin Atlantic flights - but that seems to have died too.
I remember this. I also remember it seeming to have died a death, as you said, when they had a tanzanite set 'set' for the airlines but they couldn't fill the order so they ended up selling it on the TV, and, I don't recall why I think this but pearls too?

Steve Bennett has (apparently) had experience running businesses before. What I couldn't work out was how he could ever think it was a good idea to employ Colin Wagstaffe, who could ramble for England on TJC but seemed to have very little actual knowledge and had clearly cultivated the art of BS, otherwise I cannot see how he would have ended up 'managing' companies. And as for Jake - nepotism is one thing, but if you are experienced in business and of a certain age that brings you experience of life and people, you should (emphasise 'should') be astute enough to realise that taking family into a business is not always a good idea, in fact often it's a disaster. Whatever was Steve thinking of?

But then I remember that Steve was presumably the person who thought employing Peter Simon was a good idea....what a success that turned out to be. :rolleyes:

The ironic thing is, if Peter Simon was on Gemporia these days, he'd actually seem competent and one of their best presenters.

That's how badly Gems TV have fallen.

Me too. And those orange garnets. And the Sphene.

Poor old Jim. Showed one of those garnets the other night (ugly brown, included thing - you can get beautiful examples elsewhere, at a price mind), switched off the lights and did a DT with the torch. It stayed mainly brown, went slightly red and lit up with the colour of the torch light.

Not my idea of a colour change gemstone. Reminds me of a line from a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta: "She may very well pass for 43 in the dusk with the light behind her."
Jim Brooman should still be on the main channel. He's a good presenter and it was very unfair to move him from where he seemed more comfortable & at ease. Stick Hattie or Ellis in there & bring Jim back!

Jim Brooman should still be on the main channel. He's a good presenter and it was very unfair to move him from where he seemed more comfortable & at ease. Stick Hattie or Ellis in there & bring Jim back!
I think, says I probably repeating myself, that when they cut the graveyard shifts out, they needed someone to replace Alex, and it seems they alternate between boy girl on there, so he was the chosen one to fill in. He took some getting used to on the main channel, but I agree, that's where he's best, not GC.

Gem Collector flogging natural Marcasite cabochons - all sold between £20 to £30 each.

18 months ago, I bought a pack of five cabochons totalling 170 carats from Jewellery Maker - £6.99 for the pack!

They're literally taking the p**s at this point! The GC cabs looked no different to the Jewellery Maker ones.

Gem Collector flogging natural Marcasite cabochons - all sold between £20 to £30 each.

18 months ago, I bought a pack of five cabochons totalling 170 carats from Jewellery Maker - £6.99 for the pack!

They're literally taking the p**s at this point! The GC cabs looked no different to the Jewellery Maker ones.
Sounds like it's the same stock.

I didn't watch, as I'm not interested in marcasite. Is it a sister mineral to pyrite? I've had pyrite cabs oxidise, so I'm reluctant to buy sulfide minerals now.

Sounds like it's the same stock.

I didn't watch, as I'm not interested in marcasite. Is it a sister mineral to pyrite? I've had pyrite cabs oxidise, so I'm reluctant to buy sulfide minerals now.

Yes, Pyrite, Marcasite, Galena, etc are all very similar and can oxidise rapidly (Marcasite even more so than Pyrite).

Damp in the air can also affect them and cause 'Pyrite Disease' (yes, this is an actual term).

I'm not sure about Marcasite - but Pyrite can be cleaned with ethanolamine thioglycollate on a soft cloth. This can remove /reverse any oxidisation and make it look sparkly again.

If they're in a collection, it may be worth putting them in an air-tight mineral display box. That should minimise any oxidisation going forward :-D

I've noticed a few things being sold as loose cabochons on Gem Collector that were recently sold in packs on JM - so I suspect you're right (and probably raking it in as a result).
Well they've got to cover the costs of the wages of the person who opens all those bulk bags... 😂

Yes, Pyrite, Marcasite, Galena, etc are all very similar and can oxidise rapidly (Marcasite even more so than Pyrite).

Damp in the air can also affect them and cause 'Pyrite Disease' (yes, this is an actual term).

I'm not sure about Marcasite - but Pyrite can be cleaned with ethanolamine thioglycollate on a soft cloth. This can remove /reverse any oxidisation and make it look sparkly again.

If they're in a collection, it may be worth putting them in an air-tight mineral display box. That should minimise any oxidisation going forward :-D
Where on earth do I find ethanolamine thioglycollate???

And thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I'm enjoying being on the forums and learning from yourself and others.

I've noticed a few things being sold as loose cabochons on Gem Collector that were recently sold in packs on JM - so I suspect you're right (and probably raking it in as a result).
Unsold slock 'repurposed', and I don't know if they still do it, but JM used to dismantle on-air-made pieces, or at the least clump together the leftovers from demo strands and sell them as mixed lots, as you probably know.

Well they've got to cover the costs of the wages of the person who opens all those bulk bags... 😂

Where on earth do I find ethanolamine thioglycollate???

And thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I'm enjoying being on the forums and learning from yourself and others.

Rumoured to be CCTV footage of Dave Troth and Jake Thompson going to source some Pyrite

APF60_Jan17_Hazmat_GW_2.jpg

Latest posts

Back