Gem Collector Prices

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've bought a few gemstones from GC. But I've sent back more than I've kept. One large Nilamani (Kyanite) had a chunk out of it and many scratches across the surface. One 1ct Brazilian Indicolite, perfect size for setting. That again had damage. God knows what they're doing to these stones or what I thought was that they're damaged stones that have come over from Gemporia

I've bought a few gemstones from GC. But I've sent back more than I've kept. One large Nilamani (Kyanite) had a chunk out of it and many scratches across the surface. One 1ct Brazilian Indicolite, perfect size for setting. That again had damage. God knows what they're doing to these stones or what I thought was that they're damaged stones that have come over from Gemporia
They call them refurb. Most of them anyway. They say, you can see a chip or a scuff (insert location on stone) but when it's set it won't notice.

I don't even know how they can get away with calling 'imperfect' stones 'refurb' / 'refurbished'. It's misleading.

Refurbishing is making something worn or damaged back to the point of being almost new again. I'd expect a 'refurbished' stone to have been re-cut and re-polished so that it is 'almost new' again.

Selling chipped, scratched or generally defective stones means that they are 'imperfect' or 'defective' - and should be priced and sold as such.

I don't even know how they can get away with calling 'imperfect' stones 'refurb' / 'refurbished'. It's misleading.

Refurbishing is making something worn or damaged back to the point of being almost new again. I'd expect a 'refurbished' stone to have been re-cut and re-polished so that it is 'almost new' again.

Selling chipped, scratched or generally defective stones means that they are 'imperfect' or 'defective' - and should be priced and sold as such.
The following is an example. Not an actual thing.

I bought a refurb computer. It works, but it has a huge scratch on the screen, and that 'squashed colour' there too (don't know what that's called, but I had it on one of my phones.) It doesn't matter. It works anyway. And the screen can be hidden when it's shut :p

Basically that's an extreme, but would you get away with selling such an item as refurb? I think not.

The following is an example. Not an actual thing.

I bought a refurb computer. It works, but it has a huge scratch on the screen, and that 'squashed colour' there too (don't know what that's called, but I had it on one of my phones.) It doesn't matter. It works anyway. And the screen can be hidden when it's shut :p

Basically that's an extreme, but would you get away with selling such an item as refurb? I think not.

Laws are really odd at times.

In my old line of work, we could legally call something 'refurbished' so long as it had one component replaced or upgraded. So if we had a used motor, and replaced a worn pipe with a brand new one, we could call the whole thing 'refurbished'.

Also, a lot of people may not know this, but we could legally put "Made in the United Kingdom" badges on our work, even if the parts were made in China, SO LONG AS the final assembly was put together in the UK.

So, for example, if Ford wanted to badge a car up as being made in the UK, all of the parts could be made abroad, shipped over to the UK, and so long as the car is all bolted together in the UK, then it can be classed as being 'made in the UK'.

Legal? Yes. Moral? Not in my opinion.

Also, a lot of people may not know this, but we could legally put "Made in the United Kingdom" badges on our work, even if the parts were made in China, SO LONG AS the final assembly was put together in the UK.

So, for example, if Ford wanted to badge a car up as being made in the UK, all of the parts could be made abroad, shipped over to the UK, and so long as the car is all bolted together in the UK, then it can be classed as being 'made in the UK'.
This I did not know. Shouldn't it be 'assembled in the UK' as opposed to 'made in'.....

Which, as you know sparks my mind on a related tangent. When you get either jewellery or strands (Gems or JM) and the tag for example says made in (usually) China or India. I have a 'thing' about that too :p You'd have never guessed that I have 'things' about 'things' would you :p

Anyhoo, silliness aside. They should say, as an example, Made in Brazil, Assembled (or finished, as maybe the case with jewellery) in India or wherever. Because it wasn't 'made' in, it was taken to and completed in......

In my old line of work, we could legally call something 'refurbished' so long as it had one component replaced or upgraded. So if we had a used motor, and replaced a worn pipe with a brand new one, we could call the whole thing 'refurbished'.

I think the same applies to Vauxhall. The cars are actually Opel, made in Germany, with the final assembly in the UK. In the rest of Europe they are Opel.

I think the same applies to Vauxhall. The cars are actually Opel, made in Germany, with the final assembly in the UK. In the rest of Europe they are Opel.

Yeah it was also the same with Peugeot for the last few years of them being in the UK. Parts made in France and the Czech Republic, but bolted together in the UK.

It's sad really that the UK hardly makes anything any more. The sites of old factories are now housing estates and retail parks :(

Yeah it was also the same with Peugeot for the last few years of them being in the UK. Parts made in France and the Czech Republic, but bolted together in the UK.

It's sad really that the UK hardly makes anything any more. The sites of old factories are now housing estates and retail parks :(
British people who own these Opel cars refer to them as Vauxhall!

😁 Yes, like "Hand Finished in UK" (take it out of the box from Farflungistan, wipe it down, dust it, put it in your own box) or like the supermarket "Baked in Store" (unload frozen from distributor, whack in oven on site).

And whoduthunk the car originated in the UK. The first two cars I remember us having was a Victor and a Viva. And they weren't Opel back then, I don't think. Although, I do recall seeing a Vauxhall 'recently' over here without its badge and it had the Opel badge 'shape' underneath.

Yeah that's right. They're called Buick in the States too and they have another name still in Australia.
Didn't know that.

😁 Yes, like "Hand Finished in UK" (take it out of the box from Farflungistan, wipe it down, dust it, put it in your own box) or like the supermarket "Baked in Store" (unload frozen from distributor, whack in oven on site).
And the 'carefully hand packed' when it comes to mass produced sandwiches that have 'fresh' chicken that comes from Thailand.

And the 'carefully hand packed' when it comes to mass produced sandwiches that have 'fresh' chicken that comes from Thailand.

I love those sandwich packages - particularly the Tesco packs.

"OUR CHEFS RECIPE: Wafer thin sliced ham on lightly buttered white bread, carefully packed by hand".

I bet Gordon Ramsey is s**tting himself that Tesco's chef is coming up with such culinary delights and becoming a threat to his job.

I'm speechless. 😮

Do they do crazy prices when the item is no longer available?

Also: I don't think this chalcedony is "blue".

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Latest posts

Back