Heavy Eyed

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I know it's not very kind but I have cut out a picture of the one (get them muddled up so can't recall the correct name) with the deer antler style hat and pinned it to my kitchen notice board. I makes me giggle every time I look at it.

On the subject of black eyeliner, Keith Richards is still favouring this, I love Keef so can forgive him anything!

With you all the way :heart::heart::heart:

I know its personal preference, but is it only me that thinks that having black kohl on the bottom rim of the eye is unattractive ? and makes the wearer look hard faced a la Victoria Beckham.

They're all at it - first it was Claire who went from being fresh faced when I first started viewing a couple of years ago, to being a cross between the nursery and a bordello; then I see JR is doing the black underliner now which just ages her even more, and now this afternoon CH on the Taylor dress hour is also sporting the black eyed look, which somehow doesn't sit well with the prom high school image she is trying to achieve - (um 40 going on 20 ? )

Sorry, I realise its only my opinion, but it suits some and not others.

did i misunderstand this brissles? i thought by 'bottom rim', you meant the inner rim above the eyelashes, like the kohl posts are referring to, especially as i can imagine the said presenters seeing themselves as rockchicks. :angel:

any eyeliner on the top lid, i think makes my eyes look smaller and piggy but i put a smudge of shadow, not liner under the lower lashes. mascara top and bottom too - looks really weird on me if i don't do the bottom.

I know its personal preference, but is it only me that thinks that having black kohl on the bottom rim of the eye is unattractive ? and makes the wearer look hard faced a la Victoria Beckham.

They're all at it - first it was Claire who went from being fresh faced when I first started viewing a couple of years ago, to being a cross between the nursery and a bordello; then I see JR is doing the black underliner now which just ages her even more, and now this afternoon CH on the Taylor dress hour is also sporting the black eyed look, which somehow doesn't sit well with the prom high school image she is trying to achieve - (um 40 going on 20 ? )

I have always used eye liner, don't feel right without it.

did i misunderstand this brissles? i thought by 'bottom rim', you meant the inner rim above the eyelashes, like the kohl posts are referring to, especially as i can imagine the said presenters seeing themselves as rockchicks. :angel:

any eyeliner on the top lid, i think makes my eyes look smaller and piggy but i put a smudge of shadow, not liner under the lower lashes. mascara top and bottom too - looks really weird on me if i don't do the bottom.

Its all a matter of preference and look of the individual, but ok, eyeliner/kohl, whatever, on the bottom rim above the eyelashes - in my opinion, does tend to make the wearer look hardfaced . I remember Claire before she started 'doing' it, and the look of her changed completely !

When younger I always wore top lid eyeliner - more Cleopatra than anything - nowadays I just do eyeshadow and mascara - and thats plenty enough. I remember having a go at the bottom lid smoky effect - ok on magazine girls, but on me it just looked a mess !

A very timely thread for me! In the past month or so I've stopped putting eyeliner under the lower lashes. I've always used it but recently I've felt it's stopped looking right somehow!
I feel naked without some sort of eye make-up so I've been putting it along the top instead. I think it looks better so I'll stick with it for now.
Very interesting to read that other people on here do the same and also don't put mascara on the bottom lashes. I stopped doing that years ago ~ again I felt it just didn't look right.

Gawd! I'm the opposite here. I always wear eyeliner on my lower lid and I always wear mascara top and bottom. I sometimes wear liner on the top but only if I'm going out in the evening of want to ramp it up a bit for lunch with the girls or a big meeting or I'm feeling like it :eek:)

I rarely if ever wear eyeshadow though and if I do it's brown or neutral or very very rarely lilac.

Perhaps I need to update my look a bit. It's easy to get stuck isn't it?? Will ask my 20 something very honest niece!

Going completely off topic. I wore a bin liner to a night club back in the day. Won my bet. Was a bugger to get off though. Sort of had to peel it off where it had stuck to my skin. Yik!

I wore kohl liner back then too.

I have tried & tried with eyeliner but it never seems to suit me & I think make my eyes look smaller.I do smudge some eyeshadow under my eyes just at the corner.Last Christmas I bought some very fine false eyelashes & wore them.They were not at all obvious (did not go for a Barbara cartland look!) In my youth I was never seen without them & mink ones at that!!!
It's the Princess Beatrice look we all want to avoid with or without THAT hat.

Oh dear! Oh dear! I am in my late seventies and think liner makes my eyes 'pop'! look awful without, altho I do try not to be too heavy handed. too much is dreadful, I do agree, and sadly, the smoky eye look is no longer for me, much as I love it. just use very pale shadows now and they certainly do brighten the eye:wonder:

In my younger days I wore lots of eye make up,the full works including false lashes for nights out.As a teenager in the sixties I even drew on those Twiggy lashes under my eyes which looked great back then. These days I only wear mascara because anything more just makes my eyes look tired,wish I knew what eyeshadow would look okay though to brighten me up a bit without looking heavy. By the way I hope Hooded Claw keeps that avatar a while longer it makes me laugh every time I see it.

I always wear eyeliner but for years have been wearing dark brown powder which I put on with a damp artist's brush. It is much softer than black and I'm an olive skinned dark brunette with brown eyes. I cannot do the smoky eye look at all. My eyes look best subtley enhanced. Actually I though that was what make up should do. Make you look like you, only better.

I do something similar. I have never suited black eyeliner on the bottom lids because it makes my eyes look heavy. I use a taupe/grey powder (from an ancient models prefers make up kit) on the outer edges of the lower lid (right in the lashes) and apply it with one of those flat brushes. This defines my eyes and makes my lashes look thicker but it doesn't look as if I am wearing anything. I sometimes use a slightly darker greyish powder on the the upper lid or even a colour like dark green or bronze. My eyes are big with a lot of exposed lid so I only ever wear conconcealer (LG or BE) in order to hide the slight discoloration that I have.
Like Tinkerbelle said, I look like me but a bit better.

I didn't read Brissles post properly BUT I agree, it looks hard. Havign said that I am toying with the idea of the "bone" coloured LG eyeliner because I got some concealer on my lower rim by mistake and it made my eyes look greener. Does anyone know if it has staying power; I suspect it depends on the individual.

I love Hoodedclaw's avatar too, please keep it until Zara Phillips gets married as I'm sure the princesess will have some interesting outfits on there too.

I love Hoodedclaw's avatar too, please keep it until Zara Phillips gets married as I'm sure the princesess will have some interesting outfits on there too.

yes please do! I think we should send our very own fashion expert Glen in to help if we can live without him for as long as it would take.
Maureen Lipman was commenting on the Andrew Marr show after the Wedding & said 'those girls need help'.

Oh dear! Oh dear! I am in my late seventies and think liner makes my eyes 'pop'! look awful without, altho I do try not to be too heavy handed. too much is dreadful, I do agree, and sadly, the smoky eye look is no longer for me, much as I love it. just use very pale shadows now and they certainly do brighten the eye:wonder:

I am in my 60s and line the lids and under eyes. I have never been able to put mascara on my lower lashes though, it doesn't work on me. I use a slightly lighter liner underneath my eyes. I adore eye makeup. Like you, I use much paler eyeshadows now. My daughters have always said of me that I won't even put the bin out without my eyeliner on....and they're right !

I WAS thinking about changing it, but if my pic of Betty and Jenny the Ugly Stepsisters makes people happy then I'll keep it for a while longer :nod:

I WAS thinking about changing it, but if my pic of Betty and Jenny the Ugly Stepsisters makes people happy then I'll keep it for a while longer :nod:

It makes me smile I must admit! It's so camp and pantomimish it's hard to believel! I didn't watch the wedding and I'm not totally convinced it's for real!

Latest posts

Back