I am always disappointed with QVC purchases

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
Heading should read PURCHASES but I can't correct it.

Well, not ALWAYS disappointed, but more often than not.

For example, today I received the KR jar opener, because I always have problems opening a particular jar that I use regularly.

It was too small to fit that lid!!!!! All my smaller lids I can open easily anyway. The description did not specify the maximum diameter of lid.

And the KR pull chop leaves mess all over the lid, and you are not allowed to wash it!

I am awaiting the KR knife block. What's the betting that my standard size chef's knife will be too long to fit it?

There are loads of other Q items that just don't live up to expectations, I will add some if I remember what they are (lost in the depths of Strato Towers).

What items have you been disappointed with?

oh dear Strato, are the Fates trying to tell you something?

I bought a rubber jar opener from ebay for about £1.50. One end is small the other fits large jars, and because its rubber adaptable.

I've noticed they omit essential details from lots of items particularly electronic stuff. Sometimes I've been interested in a printer, PC or Bose stuff and waited in vain for them to give details re Bluetooth, USB etc. Then when I google the item for a PROPER spec it turns out it doesn't have or do what I wanted or expected. So
I now assume that if it's not mentioned it's not there. Usually when they are flogging an old model knowing full well that the new model has more of the things I want (hope that makes sense).

I've had that sinking feeling too; I'll post specific examples as they come to mind, but I'd say that every L'Occitane item I've ever ordered has left me less than amazed and beguiled, or whatever superlative Alexis and presenter have used in describing it. The way they talk a simple bottle of body wash will smell more wonderful than the most expensive perfumes. Nope, they're just flowery shower gels. Nowt special.

SBC shower gels. I bought a tsv a while ago which included 3 of them and they made me itch like mad. So much for them being good for skin, a scrub down with Fairy Liquid would have irritated me less. Plus they smell so artificial, the rose and argan one smelled like Zoflora to me.

I agree, when I was with QVC a few years back, what I ordered arrived broken or used, so I closed my account. Also when I was with them every beauty product I bought was expensive, well it's QVC isn't it, but when I started buying more regularly from IW I got into Elizabeth Grant skin care and it's like the price, amazing. QVC France sell it but it's more expensive there so I'm holding my breath that QVC don't poach it too, like they have many products from IW, now I've discovered that it's the best skin care I've ever used and expensive isn't better. I'll just add that everything about IW is better for me, today was £20 day and I've bought some great things, I mean would you ever get a double/king size microfleece duvet with two pillows for £20 £2.99 p&p from QVC? I don't think so.

I found the SBC Echinacea bath soak a real disappointment. There was hardly any smell to it and I felt it was no more beneficial than a dreaded supermarket cheap bubble bath.

I bought a gold ring set with a Paraiba tourmaline over 3 years ago, about three hundred quid or so, as promoted by Charlie Brooke, in his guise as their jewellery expert (no comment). I'd previously ordered a couple of things from Q and been happy with what I'd bought, so had no reason to be wary of their 'spiel'. He went on and on about the ring, the wonderful quality jewellery that Q sold, full description would come with it, etc. etc. Nothing wrong with the item when I received it, BUT no certificate of authenticity sent with it (all jewellery channels give one of these automatically) - and the invoice from Q was a total mess, full of misspelt words and insufficient information about the gemstones. When I rang Q customer services, and quoted CB (their resident "expert"), they told me that Q would not provide any certificate of authenticity (no reason given, the operator just waffled) - so I promptly told them they'd be getting it back, with a complaint about misrepresentation. I did get my full payment back within a week, to be fair, but here's the thing: on the very next jewellery hour, there is Charlie Brooke, telling us all that you should not spend hundreds on any piece of jewellery without proper descriptive certification!! Hypocrisy or what? That ended my buying with Q, and I'm proud to say I've bought zilch since.

Heading should read PURCHASES but I can't correct it.

Well, not ALWAYS disappointed, but more often than not.

For example, today I received the KR jar opener, because I always have problems opening a particular jar that I use regularly.

It was too small to fit that lid!!!!! All my smaller lids I can open easily anyway. The description did not specify the maximum diameter of lid.

And the KR pull chop leaves mess all over the lid, and you are not allowed to wash it!

I am awaiting the KR knife block. What's the betting that my standard size chef's knife will be too long to fit it?

There are loads of other Q items that just don't live up to expectations, I will add some if I remember what they are (lost in the depths of Strato Towers).

What items have you been disappointed with?

Last edited:
I did shop around for the jar opener and the knife block set, and Q were the cheapest.

The prices on Amazon were ridiculously high, and they had lots of different prices for the same item, at least twice the Q price. And Ebay prices were a lot more as well.

The trouble is, that for a £15-50 item with almost £3 postage it is just not worth returning it, to lose about £6 on such a "cheap" (not really!) item.

the worse thing i have bought recently had to be the links tsv sweetie bracelet. left a bitter taste

I did shop around for the jar opener and the knife block set, and Q were the cheapest.

The prices on Amazon were ridiculously high, and they had lots of different prices for the same item, at least twice the Q price. And Ebay prices were a lot more as well.

The trouble is, that for a £15-50 item with almost £3 postage it is just not worth returning it, to lose about £6 on such a "cheap" (not really!) item.

Don't keep stuff you don't want, there's always a way to get QVC to arrange a collection or to send you a prepaid postage label. Plus if you notice "the fault" and let them know they should refund your outward p&p too.

Funnily years ago I had a wooden knife block with a silicon porcupine type inner so it holds loads of different sizes. The only problem was that you couldn't clean it. A good few years ago QVC had the same one but the silicon part comes out making it easier to clean. Loads of people had asked me where I got it but recently I have seen them in shops.

The ones which either have knives as part or justbhave empty slots are very hit and miss if they fit.

I'm also waiting for the knife block and I will be annoyed if my other knives don't fit it because that was one of the selling points .They didnt spend too long on demonstrating it ,but I remember the reviews from the previous TSV which have disappeared ,and there weren't any complaints about the size and most were pleased they could get other items in it. We will see......

I was very disappointed with the first ever Vionic sandal TSV they were absolute rubbish and unwearable .I didnt return them which I regret ,they're long since dumped but it put me off the range forever.

Im pretty strict about returning things now although I buy much less anyway.

I'm always disappointed when I receive beauty products that have been made in China,I would like it listed in the online description.

This is the problem - and the shopping channels know it. By the time you've packaged the thing up, schlepped to the post office and paid out to return it, you are well out of pocket, so unless it is something very expensive or faulty and you want a replacement, most people won't bother returning the cheaper things. I know there's no statistical way of proving it, but I just wonder how many people have done what you say - decided it's not worth the trouble.

Last edited:
You're right that if something's faulty they should return both lots of p&p, and as far as I'm aware this is covered in Distance Selling Regulations. I've had occasions where I've ordered from a jewellery channel and an item has arrived, with, say, scratches or a faulty fastener. I've had both sets of p&p's refunded as well as the purchase price, BUT it'll come as no surprise to know that it's a bit hit and miss - on a couple of occasions I've had to e-mail or ring them, to give a reminder about refunding the return p&p as well(which isn't cheap, as they have to be sent Special Delivery, and costs about £6.50). When I've complained at not receiving the refund, they've always credited it afterwards, but it annoys me that you have to do it in the first place - if they read the comments on the returns slip you fill in and check the returned item, they should do it automatically.

QUOTE=Akimbo;836321]Don't keep stuff you don't want, there's always a way to get QVC to arrange a collection or to send you a prepaid postage label. Plus if you notice "the fault" and let them know they should refund your outward p&p too.[/QUOTE]

I have learnt the hard way - only order items you have a 95% chance of keeping - nothing on spec - that way you have a fighting chance of keeping them.

IOW order nothing!

YES, I WAS RIGHT, YET MORE DISAPPOINTMENT.

Just received the knife block. My normal size Sabatier chef's knife is too long to fit !!!

But two more of my knives (Chinese style) are too wide to fit.

So my aim of clearing all the loose knives from my drawer will not be possible.

And another thing - - - they say the knife set can be re-sharpened BUT the Japanese blades are only sharpened on one side, unlike all my other knives. I have a couple of expensive knife sharpeners, but they all sharpen both sides of the blade, so how can I sharpen them?

Latest posts

Back