Jackie Kennedy Competition

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I seem to recall reading something about Caroline Kennedy either taking some form of legal action against Camrose and Cross, or being displeased at the way in which the range was portrayed, as her mother never wore costume jewellery. The competition being run by the Q, comprises four books once owned by Jackie, with the forward written by and signed by Caroline. Surely, if she had any issues regarding the authenticity of the jewellery, she wouldn't want to be connected to it in any way?

The iconic brilliance of this woman - or a selling ploy - never ceases to amaze me. Who knew she was an inventor of sunglasses? according to Simon (who does make it up as he goes along, I have found) "Jackie was the inventor of the graduated sunglasses."
Call my cynical - I am - but this range is on for another three hours today and, guaranteed, they will be flogging it to death, to clear the warehouse of all remaining stock. And you thought Alexander Fleming invented penicillin! We will be urged constantly, to get to the phones, as once it's gone, it's gone. the moulds will be destroyed.
Just something which has been niggling me; when this range first came to the Q, if I remember correctly, the metal was described as being silver, plated with either gold or rhodium. Can anyone else recall this? Now it is just base metal.
Phil Katz is claiming that the range is retiring, because they have done all the pieces of jewellery. That happened a while ago, and people are still buying, so what is the real reason? Probably, they think they have milked it as far as they can and, as he says they are bringing another range out centering on another famous lady, he will be counting on the same people who bought into his romanticising of Jackie and JFK's 'perfect' relationship, will fall for his spiel on this individual.
I am extremely interested in history and, as an historian, Phil Katz definitely knows his stuff. It is nice to see the pictures of her wearing the jewellery but, to expect us to believe the Kennedy's had a great marriage, the history books tell a different tale.

The iconic brilliance of this woman - or a selling ploy - never ceases to amaze me. Who knew she was an inventor of sunglasses? according to Simon (who does make it up as he goes along, I have found) "Jackie was the inventor of the graduated sunglasses."
Call my cynical - I am - but this range is on for another three hours today and, guaranteed, they will be flogging it to death, to clear the warehouse of all remaining stock. And you thought Alexander Fleming invented penicillin! We will be urged constantly, to get to the phones, as once it's gone, it's gone. the moulds will be destroyed.
Just something which has been niggling me; when this range first came to the Q, if I remember correctly, the metal was described as being silver, plated with either gold or rhodium. Can anyone else recall this? Now it is just base metal.
Phil Katz is claiming that the range is retiring, because they have done all the pieces of jewellery. That happened a while ago, and people are still buying, so what is the real reason? Probably, they think they have milked it as far as they can and, as he says they are bringing another range out centering on another famous lady, he will be counting on the same people who bought into his romanticising of Jackie and JFK's 'perfect' relationship, will fall for his spiel on this individual.
I am extremely interested in history and, as an historian, Phil Katz definitely knows his stuff. It is nice to see the pictures of her wearing the jewellery but, to expect us to believe the Kennedy's had a great marriage, the history books tell a different tale.

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure it's always been costume jewellery.

so who do we think the new lady will be they'll making pieces for? European with an american twist he said...

I think Grace Kelly.

IMO someone like Elizabeth Taylor might be more likely as judging by photos of her original jewellery on display in London last year, there are lots of OTT pieces to copy. She was often described as a British/American actress so that might fit the clues mentioned. After looking at some of the photos online it wouldn't be my cup of tea, but we're all different.

Interesting SCW I didn't hear that comment so I might be right, we'll have to wait and see.

I seem to recall reading something about Caroline Kennedy either taking some form of legal action against Camrose and Cross, or being displeased at the way in which the range was portrayed, as her mother never wore costume jewellery. The competition being run by the Q, comprises four books once owned by Jackie, with the forward written by and signed by Caroline. Surely, if she had any issues regarding the authenticity of the jewellery, she wouldn't want to be connected to it in any way?

I believe this came from a gossip column in the New York Post which tried to suggest that it was just awful what Camrose and Kross were doing to the family and then, a few months later, wrote a very scathing article about Caroline and her willingness to flog the Kennedy family treasures. Nothing more than rumour-mongering from what I can see.
One thing they have always maintained about Jackie was that she wore a lot of costume jewellery, so this seems unlikely anyway. And I've heard that from a number of places over the years, including at places with strong Kennedy connections.

Who and whatever the new collection is based upon, it will be base metal tat!

Inge

Well, there are a lot of people who can't afford lots of different jewellery in precious metals and stones, or who just don't care to, with whom the JBK range was very popular. If someone likes something, it shouldn't really matter whether it's the 'real thing' or not. And I've long given up thinking anyone's taste is better than anyone else's.

I picked up a pair of the tortoiseshell colour sunglasses in one of the outlet shops last year for £12.50. Very well made, comfortable and the box looks more impressive that the box my Gucci sunglasses came in. They were a great bargain.

No it wasn't that one. It was a rectangular face with a leather strap but fastened with a fold back mechanism.

May have been 331369 or similar

Oh I saw that one, it looked nice on air didn't it. I hate when you are disappointed when you open them!

Latest posts

Back