Jewellery Cleaning Product with Marverine

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

historymystery

Registered Shopper
I watched about 10 mins of this hour, just before 8 am today. Marv was with a guy demonstrating a foam jewellery cleaner spray. I know that commercial jewellery cleaning products usually contain a warning that they are not suitable for use with porous stones, such as coral or pearls (in fact, they can dissolve them). Not once during the time I watched was any mention made of this. Now I may have missed it, but I also didn't see any banner on screen to caution you, either. Quite an important consideration, I'd have thought. Marv. was her usual sharp and incisive self while I watched - "yeah, oh yeah, yeah, wow" every ten seconds.

Indeed, historymystery. In fact, there is no statement anywhere on the Q website as to what ingredients are in the cleaner. So anyone would be looking at several pounds return p&p just to find out.

My guess is it is vinegar or some other cheaply available degreaser which we all have in our kitchens. Did you notice that during the demos, the gunk which came off looked rather unlike tarnish, and much more like carbon from a pencil, rubbed over the item to be cleaned? I may be wrong, in case QVC's solicitors are reading this, but carbon pencil appears to be the 'mould and grime on grouting between tiles' in some of Phil Parker's demos. What I found very odd was the demo with the gentleman's bracelet watch. It produced exactly the same colour of dark grey grime as the earrings. Yet a steel bracelet watch should shed skin cells and hairs trapped over time from a man's wrist.

Just going slightly off the subject but I have a pet hate with Q cleaning products because many of them do not include a sheet of paper giving instructions and contents. My vision is not bad but I often cannot read the containers. Whenever I buy anything like this in a shop, if I can't clearly see the packaging, I always ask an assistant to read it for me. QVC should have this information on the screen.

Heartily agree with all the above - NEVER let opals or turquoise or pearls anywhere near water or cleaners, and Q should be clear on this. In the good old days of multi jewellery shows, this was mentioned constantly.

Personally I use an old toothbrush and toothpaste to clean and regain the glitter - never failed yet. OR I stick it all in a sonic cleaner (when I can be bothered to get it out of the cardboard box on top of the kitchen cupboards!!!!)

Indeed, historymystery. In fact, there is no statement anywhere on the Q website as to what ingredients are in the cleaner. So anyone would be looking at several pounds return p&p just to find out.

My guess is it is vinegar or some other cheaply available degreaser which we all have in our kitchens. Did you notice that during the demos, the gunk which came off looked rather unlike tarnish, and much more like carbon from a pencil, rubbed over the item to be cleaned? I may be wrong, in case QVC's solicitors are reading this, but carbon pencil appears to be the 'mould and grime on grouting between tiles' in some of Phil Parker's demos. What I found very odd was the demo with the gentleman's bracelet watch. It produced exactly the same colour of dark grey grime as the earrings. Yet a steel bracelet watch should shed skin cells and hairs trapped over time from a man's wrist.

A propos, have you noticed how very easily the 'grease and grime' comes off hobs, pans etc using all of QVC's cleaning products? And particularly when they use a steam cleaner, QVC is so amazing they manage to defy the fundamentals of chemistry and manage to 'dissolve' grease solely using water. This is quite amazing. What's even more amazing is that this 'dissolved grease' is always, always the same colour. The colour of instant coffee granules, which have been sprinkled liberally on a surface and then 'sprayed' using an ironing spray or some such to dissolve them onto the surface and make a film of brown 'gunk'. A film which is entirely water soluble and easily removed, despite its grim appearance.

QVC of course, use genuine grease for their demonstrations and through the power of steam alone dissolve it. So that's a plus.

Last edited:
Indeed, Miss G, there were several things about the small bit of the presentation I saw that worried me. First, as I've said, was that if no mention was made of not using it for coral, pearls or any other porous gemstone (and I did say IF, should Q be reading this), then someone might find out the hard way that you shouldn't use it on certain stones. OK, it's Buyer Beware and you have to read instructions when it arrives, but the fact is that why should people spend money on a product they can't use, just because no warning has been given, then have to pay to return it? Q know pearl jewellery is popular - for heaven's sake they do Honora! I definitely think Q should mention it regularly during each presentation, if they don't already, and preferably put a warning notice on screen somewhere, too. Gems TV presenters always mention several times if a piece of jewellery has a magnetic clasp, to alert those with pacemakers. Like you, I thought the "dirt" looked a little strange, and the male guest was, in my view, rather dismissive about a a comment from Marv. (I know she often witters on, but she did ask a question and he just replied very quickly words to the effect of "look, just look, this is what it's doing", whilst he was rushing about demonstrating). To me, it seemed to imply "stop asking me questions, lady".

For cleaning, I've used white vinegar diluted half and half with plain lukewarm water in an eggcup - only for hard stones, like a sapphire or diamond and only with silver or gold settings, mind you, never anything of base metal, soft metal or stones where I'm not certain if they are hard or porous . For plain silver, like a ring or bangle, (or even silver cutlery) cheap white toothpaste works a treat! Get the cheapest own brand you can, long as it's white not stripey, and scrub item with warm water and a small, soft (must be soft or could scratch) toothbrush containing a tiny bit of the toothpaste. I have a silver clasp bracelet given to me when I was 17 (some years ago!!) and this method brings it up a treat, (and it makes it smell nice, too!). Thing with toothpaste is make sure you (a) don't use too much paste, just a tiny bit (you could always add a little more, or clean item again) and (b) wash all of it off really thoroughly and rinse under running water, then dry on a cloth, otherwise you could get left with powdery 'streaks'. Please, Q, give us the facts - we don't need all the "oo's and ah's", we need the facts.

I find hand soap works well,but I clean my jewellery after every wearing and never wear it when cleaning. I find it works as well on the odd piece of Vicenza gold plated jewellery I have. Was once told gin worked wonders but think that is a waste of gin!!!!!

It only seems to have one review and that was a one star from a customer who returned the item. Another QVC rubbish item. I would not buy any cleaning items from them I like to see and read the label before I buy.

While we are on the subject i just happened to be in a jewellers yesterday getting a new watch battery. They offer to clean my wedding and engagement rings while i waited so i agreed. Could hear a machine running in the background so asked the assistant how they cleaned the jewellery. Surprised to find they use an ammonia solution.

There's a lovely passage in my favourite book, Staying On, about English people who stayed on in India after Independence. One of the servant's jobs was to clean the wife's jewellery in gin, which he did. He then drank the gin!

I have a silver collar which is set with pearls and intricate silver work . I have great difficulty in cleaning it because of the pearls so who be interested in any tips anyone has. At present I do it very carefully with a cotton bud and silver cleaner.

For hard stones I find good old detergent and a young child's very soft toothbrush does the job.

for gold/diamonds/diamonique i use hot water,toothbrush and washing up liquid. for silver: sliver foil with bicarb on top with boiling water then dip the sliver in to get the tarnsih off

Peppermint Patti, yes, I heard that about gin - but I agree, at the price gin is, I think stick with the vinegar or toothpaste!! Interesting that you've used it on the odd gold-plated piece - this is something I've never tried.

I find hand soap works well,but I clean my jewellery after every wearing and never wear it when cleaning. I find it works as well on the odd piece of Vicenza gold plated jewellery I have. Was once told gin worked wonders but think that is a waste of gin!!!!!

sorry loveall, I don't know of any way pearls can be cleaned apart from wiping them with a soft, lint-free cloth, and it must be difficult to clean the piece without getting something on the pearls. Jewellers may have something they use, perhaps, but other than that, I don't know.

I have a silver collar which is set with pearls and intricate silver work . I have great difficulty in cleaning it because of the pearls so who be interested in any tips anyone has. At present I do it very carefully with a cotton bud and silver cleaner.

For hard stones I find good old detergent and a young child's very soft toothbrush does the job.

Peppermint Patti, yes, I heard that about gin - but I agree, at the price gin is, I think stick with the vinegar or toothpaste!! Interesting that you've used it on the odd gold-plated piece - this is something I've never tried.

Oh yes it looks as good as new it must have real good gold bonding . I think that washing it in hand soap after every wearing helps as dirt doesn't build up. Never tried vinegar.

sorry loveall, I don't know of any way pearls can be cleaned apart from wiping them with a soft, lint-free cloth, and it must be difficult to clean the piece without getting something on the pearls. Jewellers may have something they use, perhaps, but other than that, I don't know.

You're right H, I've heard that said before, just use a soft, lint-free cloth.

Latest posts

Back