Jewellery Valuations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

C

Ciociaria

Guest Shopper
Just wondered if anyone has had their QVC fine jewellery valued? I often hear presenters and gushing T callers say that the valuation was much higher than the QVC price. However, when I had mine valued it was actually worth far less than I actually paid for it. Hence I will no longer be purchasing QVC jewellery. Besides, don't you think that prices have rocketed recently? Another thread mentioned Claudia's ring - I can't believe how much that has gone up in price. It was showing as an introductory price of £219 last night, yet I remember an introductory price of £196. How can there be two introductory prices for the same item? I won't be buying!

I took two seperate rings to my local jeweller to be valued - one was a QVC piece, the other not. I had the non QVC ring valued at about quadruple the price paid for it which was a lovely surprise.

I then handed over the QVC ring - which was scrutinsed under the jeweller's loop and valued again at around quadruple the price I paid, I was very chuffed.

I (stupidly) said I was surprised at the price he'd quoted for the QVC one - told him where I'd bought it from upon which he picked it up, had another look at it through the jeweller's loop quickly changed his mind about the price (vauled it at little over half what I'd paid) and then literally threw it across the counter at me! Needless to say I have never been back there again. I appreciate how jeweller's must feel about QVC undercutting them, but really was no need for such rudeness - not to mention the dodgy valuation!

I took two seperate rings to my local jeweller to be valued - one was a QVC piece, the other not. I had the non QVC ring valued at about quadruple the price paid for it which was a lovely surprise.

I then handed over the QVC ring - which was scrutinsed under the jeweller's loop and valued again at around quadruple the price I paid, I was very chuffed.

I (stupidly) said I was surprised at the price he'd quoted for the QVC one - told him where I'd bought it from upon which he picked it up, had another look at it through the jeweller's loop quickly changed his mind about the price (vauled it at little over half what I'd paid) and then literally threw it across the counter at me! Needless to say I have never been back there again. I appreciate how jeweller's must feel about QVC undercutting them, but really was no need for such rudeness - not to mention the dodgy valuation!

I had a similar experience really. The valuer sneered when I told him the rings were from QVC and said that their jewellery was 'no good'. He also said that I had been ripped off. I have to say though that the pieces are very pretty and I do enjoy wearing them - I'm just a little bit miffed about the jeweller's attitude.

Do you mind me asking what type of jewellery you had valued Ciociaria ? Was it 9ct or 18ct gold and was it for Insurance purposes . Jewellers valuations for Insurance are usually higher than the price paid as it is usually more expensive to source a one off

I have heard stories on the forum about jewellers not being too happy about shopping telly jewellery and down valuing like Cavegirl's story . I think there is a lot of jealousy , as often High St jewellers can't compete with the prices offered by the likes of QVC .

Don't be too disheartened , if you like the jewellery which you have bought just enjoy it . I feel that QVC do offer good value for money with their jewellery and try to source quality gemstones .

Not at all, Mayday. They were 9 ct citrine pieces and it was an insurance valuation. I wasn't expecting a whopping valuation, I was just a little shocked at the reaction! I love citrine but find it hard to find unusual pieces on the high street. I have a citrine ring from the most exclusive jeweller in town (given as a special gift for a milestone birthday) and I can't see the difference from the QVC pieces. In fact, it's quite simple while the QVC pieces are a more interesting design. I think your jealousy theory could be right.

I don't have a lot of fine jewellery from QVC but I do have a pair of earrings from the platinum 950 collection, bought four years ago as a special treat. For a time it seemed QVC stopped doing a platinum 950 range, probably because of the worldwide price rise in the metal, and they introduced their Epiphany Clad range instead (which I also love!) When they recently re-introduced the platinum 950 range I noticed just how much prices had risen (by a minimum of three times by my reckoning) so I asked a good, independent local jeweller for a price to make something near to mine (different to an insurance valuation as as someone else has noted these are usually higher so not necessarily a good guide to re-instatement cost.) The price came back at seven times what I had paid for them. I suspected they would have gone up but not by that much, however having done a bit more research recently this sounds about right.

Am now thinking a) wish I'd stretched the budget and bought another piece or two at the time, and b) that QVC's new range seems reasonably priced! I also got the Tahitian studs two or three years ago, the ones that were an absolute steal at less than £60, haven't had them valued but a similar pair is selling in a high end jeweller near me for £550. I agree with the comments of others, I think the high street jewellers reduced valuations of much QVC jewellery stem from sour grapes and as such are quite unprofessional. My jeweller was gracious enough to say that she could never have sold me my earrings at the price I paid for them!

I have a lovely Honora necklace that has a pearl and gem enhancer They stoped selling it about 5 years ago.) I recently had that valued for insurance purposes at £365. I actually paid £119 for it around 5-6 years ago.It's a lovely, unusual necklace that I have had great pleasure wearing,plus I have loaned it to a couple of brides and my daughter wore it to prom too. I wouldn't have a clue where to replace it should it go missing. I have had a mixed experience with QVC jewellery.I have had some that I think 'how can they do this for the money?' and other stuff I have sent straight back. If you are prepared to risk the p&p(which strangely can bbe very reasonable for jewellery) I often think it's worth the risk if you really love the look of something. I never buy jewellery on the high street anyway-the last thing I bought was a Guess watch for my DD's 18th birthday, if you can count a watch.Some of the jewellers by me sell absolute tat and most of it looks very old fashioned, too.

Yes i can relate to what you are saying. I have pieces from qvc of jewellery and now work in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter, I used to think qvc undercut them but the quality is miles apart. Qvc buy gems in job lots and they have awful trouble resizing them as they are not made well for this. Also my sources say qvc have paid was itr £6million in fines for tanzanite claims. Not sure of the full story and as much of a qvc fan I am and do have some nice pieces from qvc am glad sometimes being able to go to a jeweller.

Yes i can relate to what you are saying. I have pieces from qvc of jewellery and now work in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter, I used to think qvc undercut them but the quality is miles apart. Qvc buy gems in job lots and they have awful trouble resizing them as they are not made well for this. Also my sources say qvc have paid was itr £6million in fines for tanzanite claims. Not sure of the full story and as much of a qvc fan I am and do have some nice pieces from qvc am glad sometimes being able to go to a jeweller.

Oh I'm so jealous of you working in the Jewellery Quarter! I worked in a jewellers years ago and really enjoyed it. May as well have had my wages in credit vouchers though the amount I spent on the stock. Out of interest, do you know what kind of claims QVC have had to pay fines for? I've never heard anything about this and am intrigued.

Latest posts

Back