Gemporia accounts - predictions?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

TheManWithNoName

Registered Shopper
So, Gemporia's are due next month.

What do we reckon they'll show. Even worse that last year? Better than last year? About the same?

My predication is they'll have done about the same. I've seen nothing to suggest that customers have rushed back in their droves to Gems TV - but they do seem to be selling enough to be 'ticking over'.

Jewellery Maker seems to have lost a lot of customers and it also get a lot of criticism.
Gem Collector seems unpredictable - it seems to have a few loyal customers - but it also seems to have quite a few that have been disgruntled by price hikes.
Hobby Maker - that seems to be the one area of their business that is thriving.
Sewing Street - no idea at all.

I've spotted some interesting things tonight though. Looking at Gemporia's list of directors, I see that a number of them 'resigned' in October last year ('resigned' on Companies House doesn't actually mean that handed in their notice and left - 'resigned' simply mean that they're no longer a director, regardless of the manner in which they left. Even if someone passes away, it still shows 'resigned' on Companies House).

Sarah Bennett is no longer showing as a director - 6 months after Steve Bennett told us on-air that Sarah Bennett would be becoming more involved again.
Paula Bennett is no longer showing as a director.
John Bennett is no longer showing as a director.
John Winspear is no longer showing as a director (or company secretary either). I believe he was their finance director.

It seems a little odd that they all went at the same time.

I've also found out that their call centre manager, Jayne Sankey, was also made redundant last year too.

I suspect I can see why their prices have become ridiculous at times though. I would imagine this loan comes with a hefty interest bill.........

This line is concerning:

"During the pandemic, many people have taken to watching TV and crafting to pass the time. In line with this trend, Gemporia Partnership’s profit increased by 42% in the year to March 2021. The business has retained a significant proportion of its new customers as pandemic restrictions have been lifted by the Government. The business has grown by attracting 55,000 new customers in the year to March, and re-launching its craft product range last year, which now accounts for 20% of its sales."

This loan appears to have been taken out in the September of the same year. But then 'normality' hit, lockdowns ended, and by 2022, all of the Covid situation had ended.

Forward to 2023, and we know the Company had obvious financial problems last year.

Did they expect the Covid growth to continue - only to find that it ended, and left them in a difficult situation? Who knows.

I'm intrigued to see what the accounts say next month!

Last edited:
I think about the same or slightly better (due to the inflated prices and cutting (the decent) staff and channels). Personally, I would like to see worse figures, simply because this might shove them towards making decent changes instead of becoming more cut-throat and dying a slow, but unavoidable, death. But let's face it, and I hate to say it, the channel started to decline when Steve stepped back, it did not improve when he stepped back in and now the will also have to pay Steve back the money he put in to bail them out. (He's a businessman, it won't have been a gift.) Plus the loan from Santander and any interest.
To this day, I do not understand how anybody with an IQ above freezing-point (yes, I am looking at you Mr Wagstaffe and all the Directors) could think a sales improvement that happened during Covid (when everyone was stuck at home watching TV) was going to be permanent - even when everyone went back to work - and base their projections and plans on those improved sales. Covid was an global pandemic and unique in our times - how daft can you be? Really?

the channel started to decline when Steve stepped back

Despite his long speech this time last year, I've seen nothing over the past 12 months that makes me think "Ah yeah, that'll be Steve Bennett's input".

Literally nothing has changed from a viewers/customers point of view in the past 12 months other than much quicker refunds.

If anything, it has got worse. The levels of misleading from presenters have certainly ramped up a lot - and they were bad enough before!

To this day, I do not understand how anybody with an IQ above freezing-point (yes, I am looking at you Mr Wagstaffe and all the Directors) could think a sales improvement that happened during Covid (when everyone was stuck at home watching TV) was going to be permanent - even when everyone went back to work - and base their projections and plans on those improved sales. Covid was an global pandemic and unique in our times - how daft can you be? Really?
Colin Wagstaffe and Jake Thompson have never struck me as being the brightest lamps in the street.

Colin in particular always came across as a complete plonker that had completely winged his way to CEO levels at jobs - and it doesn't take a genius to work out that Jake is only CEO at Gemporia now because he's married into family. NOTHING on his CV / LinkedIn profile suggests that he's intelligent or experienced enough to run a business.

No wonder Gemporia are struggling. Instead of giving the CEO role to good, experienced CEOs, they've just given the role to friends and family in a 'jobs for the boys' manner.

I think about the same or slightly better (due to the inflated prices and cutting (the decent) staff and channels). Personally, I would like to see worse figures, simply because this might shove them towards making decent changes instead of becoming more cut-throat and dying a slow, but unavoidable, death. But let's face it, and I hate to say it, the channel started to decline when Steve stepped back, it did not improve when he stepped back in and now the will also have to pay Steve back the money he put in to bail them out. (He's a businessman, it won't have been a gift.) Plus the loan from Santander and any interest.

Well look at he mess the bike industry is in because of oversupply. Latest casualty is Wiggle

Latest posts

Back