Gemporia collections

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Imogene9500

Registered Shopper
Last weekend I was looking for an 18th birthday gift for my niece, but in the end I went to Monica Vinader and bought some hoop charm earrings because I know they offer good quality contemporary designs in Vermeil which would make a suitable gift. I had seen some pretty Namibian diamond designs on Gemporia I thought would be a nice gift, great colour and clarity but cheese wire gold (why?). Anyhow it made me think about Gemporia's different collections - Lorique, Thomas Rae, Jessica Lili, Annabella etc. What do they stand for? Lorique is luxury, Thomas Rae next in quality etc. but what about the rest? I think that Gemporia is missing a trick and could be doing more to differentiate styles and collections, as well as gemstones to target specific customer groups. The company used to be much better at this, for example there was an Italian inspired Vicenza collection that was all Vermeil. People do seem to like to shop a collection, Pandora being a prime example. Hoop earrings with interchangeable gemstone charms would also work well for Gemporia, but Vermeil/Midas not gold tone 😉

cheese wire gold (why?)
To make the products as affordable as possible. Gold is expensive so they set gemstones in thin 9K alloy (37.5% gold, 62.5% metal) or in sterling silver. Gemporia is a company for less wealthy people.

Anyhow it made me think about Gemporia's different collections - Lorique, Thomas Rae, Jessica Lili, Annabella etc. What do they stand for? Lorique is luxury, Thomas Rae next in quality etc. but what about the rest?
I like the Aryonna collection. These products are simple and solid. Great for someone who adores big (but not oversized) cabochons.

To make the products as affordable as possible. Gold is expensive so they set gemstones in thin 9K alloy (37.5% gold, 62.5% metal) or in sterling silver. Gemporia is a company for less wealthy people.

I like the Aryonna collection. These products are simple and solid. Great for someone who adores big (but not oversized) cabochons.
I like the Aryonna collection too, it just puzzles me why so many higher graded white diamonds and pink/yellow seem to be set in much less gold, 1.5 cms or under, than other less valuable gemstones. 🙄 Some of the coloured diamonds are being auctioned time and time again, but with a little more gold might have sold better.

Last edited:
They flog 38cm strands of Jadeite for hundreds of pounds, and they were selling high end Jade carvings on stands on Friday - and the cheapest went for £5999. Most were £8000 to £10,000.

I would say flogging things at £8000+ is targeting the less wealthy.
It's bizarre what they do (recently) with jadeites and nephrites. I have an Aryonna pendant with Chinese (not Burmese!) nephrite (not jadeite!) jade. I bought it on sale for €35.41. On the next sales it was much more expensive (58+ euros). Then they put it up for auction and the price was 70+ euros. I was shocked. They really manipulate with prices of all (not only Burmese) jadeites and nephrites! :eek::mad:

Attachments

• nephrite.jpg
    nephrite.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 36
good (expensive) diamonds + good (expensive) gold = high price of the final product

They compromise, but at the expense of metal quality. 🫤
One of the reasons I always liked Gemporia was the principle of making gems affordable, and to do that I appreciate the commercial need for compromise. I just feel it striking that so many of the coloured diamonds and some of the higher quality white being shown time and time again are set in particularly low grams of gold. The prices can be under £300 and I know it is just personal, but I would like a bit more gold and pay a bit more for a more durable setting.

One of the reasons I always liked Gemporia was the principle of making gems affordable, and to do that I appreciate the commercial need for compromise. I just feel it striking that so many of the coloured diamonds and some of the higher quality white being shown time and time again are set in particularly low grams of gold. The prices can be under £300 and I know it is just personal, but I would like a bit more gold and pay a bit more for a more durable setting.
Gemporia should have three grades of gold jewellery: low (cheap, thin, basic, 9K), medium (more expensive, heavier, prettier, from 9K/10K to 14K) and high (the most expensive, durable, elegant, from 14K to 18K). Now you have low grade and high grade gold, nothing in between.

Gemporia should have three grades of gold jewellery: low (cheap, thin, basic, 9K), medium (more expensive, heavier, prettier, from 9K/10K to 14K) and high (the most expensive, durable, elegant, from 14K to 18K). Now you have low grade and high grade gold, nothing in between.
I suppose it is ok if there is more transparency about the amount of gold, but so many times I've heard certain presenters refer to a 'luxory amount of gold' when it is way under 2 grams and view on TV exaggerates the size. In a store you can see what you are buying at close quarters, but remotely if items are oversold then they will either be heading back to the vault or kept and customers don't come back. Diamonds are forever even though they may not be the best grade, but it is counter intuitive to set them in gold settings that are so flimsy.

Diamonds are forever even though they may not be the best grade, but it is counter intuitive to set them in gold settings that are so flimsy.
Big problem: if gold is too flimsy, it's easy to lose one or more gemstones. They can just fall out from the setting. Another issue: if the setting is destroyed, it may be difficult (for your local goldsmith) to set small gemstones in completely new product.

Latest posts

Back