Jilly Halliday

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I like the fact she's not always bragging about what she has cadged from QVC, how many holidays she's had, what her children are up to, how much money she has rolling around in her house - to me that's a great aspect of her, makes her seem 'like one of us'. However, the stock phrases she trots out and her enunciation are terrible. Youregonnalovethisitsuperb and everything else drives me mad.

I can understand why people complain about her hair, and while I do agree it could do with going shorter, it does look clean and well cared for (unlike some of the presenters :wink: ) and is always shiny looking.

Most people who work go to training sessions and refresher courses why should QVC be any different?
QVC are the dinosaurs of the shopping channels so I don't suppose they bother. Can you imagine the two old divas JR and AK being told what to say?? :thinking: And it deffo wouldn't work with Gobby cos she's only programmed to talk bulls**t :rolleyes: However you can always tell when the presenters from TJC have been on a training day because they all use the latest buzz words and the most current ones are 'I love/like the fact'....blah blah blah

Yes she's inoffensive enough but so uninteresting. As someone said above, QVC needs to be brought up to the 21st century both product wise and presenter wise. The dreaded 'high street' is much more up-to-date.

Agree with everything said pretty much - don't mind Jilly but autopilot is indeed the apt description of her M.O. Also she is guilty of that 'jump to the phone' phrase which is seriously cliched and out of date! I wonder whether she has anxieties/ mild phobias about both getting her ears pierced and her hair cut - mind you that's me being idly speculative and none of my business, I ought to be jumping to the kitchen sink to do something productive with the evening!

xx

Am I alone in finding Jilly Halliday increasingly irritating as a presenter?

Her command of the English language is abysmal. Listening to her with Harald yesterday giving measurements of "thirdy eight and fordy two and asking viewers to send in their "texis" made me switch over even though I love listening to Harald.

Oh my goodness, I am glad it's not just me!!!!!!!!!!
What is it with this ****** "texis" or "texes" thing?
The singular is texT.
The plural is textS.
Why do people find this so difficult?
I am sure she thinks that the word is tex and therefore makes the plural texes. Oh my god, I may be getting old, but if talking like that is "with it", I would rather be without it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock:

"This is definitely, definitely worth going for".

The number of times she says this is ridiculous. It doesn't really mean anything and it annoys me. She has very limited vocabulary and seems to be on auto-pilot throughout each show, just skimming through. She doesn't seem to like any of the products in particular.

Despite this, she does come across as a very decent kind of person, not full of herself, doesn't try to poke fun at the models, doesn't go on and on about herself. I am sure she is a modest and kind lady - so that is why she is well-liked and not often criticised here. However, the fact remains she isn't really a very good seller.

I totally agree with you. I actually voted for Jilly as my favourite presenter in the poll earlier this month because of all the reasons you mention in your 2nd paragraph. But I was watching her on the morning replay of the Love Jewellery event and she was saying exactly the same thing for every item! "this is absolutely superb, its well worth snapping up, it'll stand you in good stead, definitely, definitely worth going for, so jump to those phones" etc etc etc. It was like Groundhog Day. Some people have mentioned that she seems bored and I can only agree completely. She's been with QVC for a long, long time and she really needs to go on a refresher course to learn some different superlatives! Julia isn't one of my favourites but to be fair, she has been with QVC as long as Jilly and she never seems bored, and manages to use a wider vocabulary.

I can't believe it, I've just turned it over and she's just said "jump to the phone"!
I was so bored when she was on with Harald yesterday because of her monotonous tone. I felt so sorry for him because she was just didn't gel with him.

...and it's those black slacks and pumps ....again!

I don't dislike her but have to agree about the spiel :sleepy: She just goes onto automatic pilot :smirk

Oh my goodness, I am glad it's not just me!!!!!!!!!!
What is it with this ****** "texis" or "texes" thing?
The singular is texT.
The plural is textS.
Why do people find this so difficult?
I am sure she thinks that the word is tex and therefore makes the plural texes. Oh my god, I may be getting old, but if talking like that is "with it", I would rather be without it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rock:[/QUOTE
No it's not just you craftybel. I am always moaning about the same thing..........but usually it's the chavvies on Jeremy Kyle..........."he sent me a texter"........." or "I have texes on my phone" My family know I'm going to go into orbit when they say it!
I also start to rumble when people talk about PRONOUNCIATION.............wrong......... it's PRONUNCIATION and spell DEFINITELY as DEFINATELY.............wrong, wrong, wrong aaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhh

I don't mind Jilly too much at all she certainly is not too full of herself or thinks she is above or better than others, in fact I think she comes across as a nice person.
I must admit she is very repetitive but then she would be since she very rarely discloses her QVC purchases, family details or much personal information at all.
I find my impression of her is that her family is very much the most important thing in her life, their holidays away together and that she comes to work just does her required shift then goes home.
I maybe completely wrong but I don't image her putting herself forward to do a spell for QVC aboard, in order to expand her career.

:glass:

I don't mind Jilly too much at all she certainly is not too full of herself or thinks she is above or better than others, in fact I think she comes across as a nice person.
I must admit she is very repetitive but then she would be since she very rarely discloses her QVC purchases, family details or much personal information at all.
I find my impression of her is that her family is very much the most important thing in her life, their holidays away together and that she comes to work just does her required shift then goes home.
I maybe completely wrong but I don't image her putting herself forward to do a spell for QVC aboard, in order to expand her career.

:glass:

I agree with you that she is probably a home loving bird and keeps herself to herself..........but for crying out loud she could do it with a bit more get up and go, her get up and go has got up and gone. She is after all a presenter who is trying to sell products................she doesn't give 100% to try and sell anything, and whilst I do not dislike her I find her mindblowingly boring...........a bit like watching paint dry.:tongue: If she wants to stay at home and look after the family then let her do so, I am sure there are more willing people out there who would like to be paid what she gets and who would put a bit more effort into it.

Last edited:
I watched her on the Skagen show last night and she was fine, very animated and having a good old giggle with Christine the guest presenter. I think she JH genuinely likes that range of watches and she came alive.

I watched her on the Skagen show last night and she was fine, very animated and having a good old giggle with Christine the guest presenter. I think she JH genuinely likes that range of watches and she came alive.

...either that or she reads this forum :giggle:

I think she may be a very strong minded person as she has never had her ears pierced and keeps her hair in the same style. I remember when she used to be on with Adrian Buckley and could never show his earrings to their full potential - I think he even commented on it.

Some of her pronunciation is annoying - 'pennant' for pendant, and repeated phrases like 'selling very well indeed' :doh:

I must admit I am not in a hurry to watch the shows she presents, but she does seem to be a genuine person.

No it's not just you craftybel. I am always moaning about the same thing..........but usually it's the chavvies on Jeremy Kyle..........."he sent me a texter"........." or "I have texes on my phone" My family know I'm going to go into orbit when they say it!
I also start to rumble when people talk about PRONOUNCIATION.............wrong......... it's PRONUNCIATION and spell DEFINITELY as DEFINATELY.............wrong, wrong, wrong aaaaaaaagggggghhhhhhh[/QUOTE]

A kindred spirit-now I know I belong!!!!!! I had a disagreement with my child's ENGLISH teacher once about pronounciation being incorrect! Yes-an English teacher! She would not believe she was wrong and would not accept the correct version.

I had a disagreement with my child's ENGLISH teacher once about pronounciation being incorrect! Yes-an English teacher! She would not believe she was wrong and would not accept the correct version.

Couldn't you just stuff a dictionary under her nose? :clapping:

I did the same with my son's second school. One teacher told him that phantasmagorical wasn't a word and actually wrote on his book not to make words up! Another one hadn't got a clue about possessive apostrophes. When I complained that his work was marked correct when it wasn't, I got a super-sarcy letter from the head saying that I'd taken things "out of context" (impossible...an apostrophe is either correct or it's not!). When I complained to the board of governors, my letter was clearly intercepted by said super-sarcy head!
By then I'd had enough...but really I should have taken the matter further.

Thank heavens I've not had any trouble with his other 2 schools!
It made me learn to take OFsted reports with a pinch of salt :grin:

Good grief, it's incredibly worrying that many teachers appear to lack basic literacy, and are let loose in the UK education system. I really despair at current standards, and it's obvious that teacher training is not all it should be.

Latest posts

Back