Lime Tree Pantry NOT traditional Bakewell!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Nicky-j

Registered Shopper
I just heard Lime Tree's Harry say that, in their cake selection, there is a 'traditional Bakewell Tart'. Well, as a Derbyshire lass I can tell you that the traditional one is a Bakewell Pudding - never a tart, and it looks nothing like that! What this seems to be is a homely and more wholesome version of the Mr Kipling 'traditional' type. Buy this by all means, just don't go thinking it has anything to do with Derbyshire or Bakewell. I'm very sure it's nice, but traditional Derbyshire, it ain't!
On behalf of the county of my birth I wash my hands of this product!

I too am Derbyshire lass and I burst out laughing when I heard him say that does he not know the thing he is showing its not the traditional Bakewell pudding as sold in Bakewll

I've seen something similar in small bakery in Bakewell, but not as a Bakewell pudding! To be fair he did say 'tart' but you might have thought as a purveyor of food products -and not that far away - that he might know what they are like and what to call them!

Please can one of you fine Derbyshire lasses give an old cockney gel a bakewell recipe.

XXX

Please can one of you fine Derbyshire lasses give an old cockney gel a bakewell recipe.

XXX

unfortunately the recipe for a genuine bakewell pudding is a closely guarded secret, you have more chance seeing of seeing Jill Franks gaining a muffin top (excuse the pun) than getting the recipe!

unfortunately the recipe for a genuine bakewell pudding is a closely guarded secret, you have more chance seeing of seeing Jill Franks gaining a muffin top (excuse the pun) than getting the recipe!

Respect. Will stick to stewed eels.

Funny that, as both me and OH were watching that particular programme and said exactly the same thing!. A Bakewell tart it certainly wasn't :9:

P x

Unless you're likely to be in the area (and if you are, I also recommend getting fish and chips at the Castle pub!) the link provided earlier in the thread by Lady Tia is the best way! The Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop on the main street do a pudding by post service. I, however, limit myself to a pudding each time we go up to Bakewell - about every six weeks.

Same here - we usually go to Bakewell about every 2 months, look at the craft shop etc and always buy a Bakewell from that shop.
licklipsemoticon.gif

Pauline xx

Same here - we usually go to Bakewell about every 2 months, look at the craft shop etc and always buy a Bakewell from that shop.
licklipsemoticon.gif

Pauline xx

I always end up in the Crystal Heart gem and jewellery shop. Even though I say I won't!

Hi Derbyshire lasses, I go to Bakewell at least once a year, nice little day out and had lots of country walks too, beauty on your doorstep.

Thats the thing with this forum, I'd never heard of bakewell pudding before today. I thought of bakewell tart complete with raspberry jam in its base (nothing like the Kipling rubbish). I have made a recipe that had a chocolate almond sponge in the pastry case over the jam, can't remember what its called.

May find a need to check the area out in better weather for a walk, bakewell pudding and general mooch, if its doable in a day from Leeds.

Having visited Bakewell many moons ago I can agree that a Bakewell Pudding is one of the finest things on the planet.
That said, I do make a mean Bakewell Tart myself!

I once met a tart from Bakewell :54:

This could be the start of a limerick, Snoopy!

I once met a tart from Bakewell
Of sugar (and more!) she could shake well
Her plump juicy buns
Were...

Oh where's iclaudipuss when you need her!

Latest posts

Back