Looking for an HDD recorder

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Satis

Registered Shopper
Right, here's my next quest. Having got my lovely new television, I'd now like to have a minimal amount of clutter underneath it. At the moment, there's a cable box, a VHS recorder and a DVD recorder (the latter two don't work at the moment, because I've expended my emotional/technical energies in getting the new Sony set up, and sorting out the peripherals would be a bit too much at the moment...)

I would like the best possible HDD, with a facility for transferring VHS and recording on DVD.

I know QVC had something like this a while ago; I remember them going on and on about 'pausing live TV'.

Any suggestions? Of course, cost is an issue again, so nothing super-expensive.

And I slightly incline towards Sony just because it's easier if you've got the same make.

Just bumping this up in the hope someone actually bought that TSV.

So you want a HDD recorder with a DVD recorder ? I struggled to find one with a twin tuner so you have the pause live tv function not sure if there is one ?

Hi! I bought one of these when it was on QVC as a TSV a while ago..it was a Funai and a brand new product to the range but then disappeared from QVC altogether! you can now find them everywhere and the prices are coming down. I would suggest looking at Argos to begin with, just because their prices are usually very very good. In term of brands, I like Sony, LG and Samsung in particular, but if I were buying again, I would go for something with blu-ray or HD - just because it will probably be more likely that you will use it in a few years still.

For what it is worth, I would recommend the funai I bought...it was easy to set up and the customer support was good. I tend to use it just to store films and watch back on and use the pause function on V+. Good luck with it all!

Do NOT buy the Panasonic combined HDD/DVD Recorder/VHS which was a TSV about 2 years ago if QVC should still have some in stock or you see it elsewhere. The instruction book is very, very hard to follow (so be suspicious of any Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder). DH is an electronics engineer and so technology does not phase him (our house is full of gadgets) and I have tried to make myself an idiot's guide for this machine, but honestly I wish I'd never bought the thing. We paid a lot for it, but now have gone back to the (cheap) simple, seamless twin tuner pvr, with 14-day epg by digifusion, we bought about 4 years ago. It is def a case of buyer beware. Def consider if you want to go down the blu-ray disc recorder route (for watching HD movies and recording from HD) because last time we looked there were only blu-ray players about. Whatever HDD you decide on, if you go for a combined product, really check the handbook for ease of use or better still take two discs with you (preferably unformatted) -RW and +RW and get someone to demo a combined machine for you. If the assistant can't record on to dvd or dump to dvd from HDD using the instruction booklet when they deal with this sort of product all day long, it will be a good benchmark of how good the instructions are.

Good Luck.

So you want a HDD recorder with a DVD recorder ? I struggled to find one with a twin tuner so you have the pause live tv function not sure if there is one ?

I also searched for months to find one but they don't do one with a twin tuner.

I recommend the HUMAX. I got the 9200 model and I am very pleased with it but this model has now been upgraded to the 9300.

I also searched for months to find one but they don't do one with a twin tuner.

I recommend the HUMAX. I got the 9200 model and I am very pleased with it but this model has now been upgraded to the 9300.

Just looked at my mannual and that's the model I have too (PVR-9200T). (It was recommened by the Which magazine when I bought it).

We have an HDD DVD recorder and I'm pretty certain it has a twin tuner - one analogue and one digital. It's a Sony.

Don't buy the Emtec devices. They're more hassle then they're worth!

Do NOT buy the Panasonic combined HDD/DVD Recorder/VHS which was a TSV about 2 years ago if QVC should still have some in stock or you see it elsewhere.

Do you mean http://www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params.item.558944/walk.yah.UKEL-UK21? I was looking at that one, although it's very expensive. Might well have gone for it, because Panasonic is generally a good make. So thanks for the warning.

But it does do the things I want, such as provide a facility for transferring VHS onto DVD or the hard disc, so this is absolutely the type of thing I'm looking for.

The analogue is no good can you pause live tv LC ?

What do you mean "no good"? It works perfectly well thank you!

You can't pause live tv as such but you can record something you're watching, and then if you have any sort of distraction you can watch it on "catch up" while it's continuing to record - that way you don't miss anything. We did this with the Grand Prix on Sunday as we knew we would miss the first 10-15 mins so we set it to record and started watching from the start of the recording as soon as we got home, and we caught up with the race live about half way through as we could whizz through the adverts.

The trouble is once the digital switchover happens then analogue tuners will become obselete. :(

Latest posts

Back