MBG

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I've just seen a woman extolling the value of the mbg on Q's FB page. She bought a pair of Moda shoes which were uncomfortable but she persevered and managed to "break them in" before the mbg expired. She went on to say "I know you have to pay return postage but you'd still have to pay for petrol and parking if you were to take something back to the shop" - Well unless her post office is in walking distance, then wouldn't that amount to the same thing? I'm lucky enough to have a local post office, but that's been threatened with closure quite a few times. If it were to go, then my nearest PO is situated within WHSmith in the shopping mall and it's always heavingly busy, and definitely more hassle than returning something to a shop!
Now I don't really like the idea of this mbg, but I can see that it can be useful, especially when it comes down to pricey skincare products as you're not going to be able to tell whether or not they work immediately. Yes it does mean that you can try a £300 hairdryer to see what all the fuss is about, but it could cost you £20 to return it. For me unless I knew I could afford such an expensive item, or would be happy to spend such a large amount on something so mundane, I simply wouldn't bother. As a person who doesn't have money coming out of their ears and who likes to spend wisely, I'll do my research and look up all the independent online reviews, and it saves a lot of money and heartache.
I really dislike the idea of sending things back that are possibly going to be passed onto subsequent (unsuspecting) customers and stuff being thrown away. I'd much sooner return something that I wasn't completely satisfied with within the statutory 14 days, meaning I'd get my postage back, though I'd still have to pay to send it back which is a bit bad really in this day and age.
As for shoes, now for me if they don't feel comfortable straight away, I simply won't buy them. If I order footwear online then always make sure the retailer operates a free returns policy. Footwear is a heavy item and would not be cheap to return. Lets say this lady didn't successfully break her shoes in, then they'd be returned and passed off to someone else who runs the risk of picking up fungal infections and god knows what else, and tbh, the thought just isn't very nice!
So Q, I'd rather you ditched this daft mbg, and simply made yourselves a more affordable place to shop!

As far as I’m aware an expensive item such as a Dyson hairdryer or say in my case the Dyson Airwrap, QVC arrange a return collection due to its purchased value. I only know of this due to at just before the start of the pandemic I purchased the Dyson Airwrap for myself and my daughter to try as a birthday gift for us both. Unfortunately due to virus she didn’t come home, I think then I rang QVC because of the newly introduced extended money back guarantee, to see if I could keep it longer, which I did. Sadly during that extended time she didn’t get home and I didn’t get on with using it. I rang QVC to explain and they arranged a free Hermes return collection.

As far as I’m aware an expensive item such as a Dyson hairdryer or say in my case the Dyson Airwrap, QVC arrange a return collection due to its purchased value. I only know of this due to at just before the start of the pandemic I purchased the Dyson Airwrap for myself and my daughter to try as a birthday gift for us both. Unfortunately due to virus she didn’t come home, I think then I rang QVC because of the newly introduced extended money back guarantee, to see if I could keep it longer, which I did. Sadly during that extended time she didn’t get home and I didn’t get on with using it. I rang QVC to explain and they arranged a free Hermes return collection.
You were lucky there, cause I'm pretty sure someone here said they were charged £20 to return it. I suppose it made a difference because you had to ring them and they gave you that info. I don't know anybody who's got one of these Dyson products but from what I've heard on here, they're generally not worth splashing out on!

I'm the same, if a shoe has to be 'worn' in, then they don't fit properly from the get go, and back they go. I bought Moda years ago when they were a lesser known brand, and I found they come up small and narrow. Perhaps they've improved but I'm not willing to risk it. Its the same with Spanish made shoes, I have to upsize.
I'm also wary of fashionable trainers, yes they have well padded ankle edges, but what about rubbed heels ? which don't manifest until they've been worn over a long period.

I'm the same, if a shoe has to be 'worn' in, then they don't fit properly from the get go, and back they go. I bought Moda years ago when they were a lesser known brand, and I found they come up small and narrow. Perhaps they've improved but I'm not willing to risk it. Its the same with Spanish made shoes, I have to upsize.
I'm also wary of fashionable trainers, yes they have well padded ankle edges, but what about rubbed heels ? which don't manifest until they've been worn over a long period.
A few years ago I ordered a pair of ballet pumps from Mango via my catalogue and as soon as I put them on they literally killed my feet, not only were they too narrow (and I've not even got wide feet) they were too short and my toes went right up to the top, so straight back they went with no extra cost to me. Maybe had I been in a shop I could've tried the larger size though, but I'd rather buy things that are true to size, and feel good from the outset. I'm generally lucky with footwear being a regular size 6 and having fairly narrow feet but I definitely think that footwear is not something to buy from QVC "wear them for 2 months, tread in dog$hit, transfer your athlete's foot, verrucas, cheesy stench, or foot lotion onto the insoles, and if they're no good to you, send them back, 'cause we know a few suckers - but it'll cost you mind!"

Last edited:
I find buying shoes is as big a lottery as clothing. I have shoes in varying sizes 4.5,5,5.5 and 6. It's totally ridiculous and wouldn't buy from QVC with their, your usual size,go down a size go up a size.
I am 73 and when I was a teen early twenties I was a 5.5 in any shop.

You were lucky there, cause I'm pretty sure someone here said they were charged £20 to return it. I suppose it made a difference because you had to ring them and they gave you that info. I don't know anybody who's got one of these Dyson products but from what I've heard on here, they're generally not worth splashing out on!
It might have been me! I own up, curiosity got the better of me and I was battling with lockdown hair, but I could have driven to Knowsley and put it in their hands for less!

I find buying shoes is as big a lottery as clothing. I have shoes in varying sizes 4.5,5,5.5 and 6. It's totally ridiculous and wouldn't buy from QVC with their, your usual size,go down a size go up a size.
I am 73 and when I was a teen early twenties I was a 5.5 in any shop.
up until about 6 years ago I was always a 5, perhaps a 4.5 if a continental brand. Now I can’t find anything to fit in a shoe . I’m good in boots, not too bad in sandals but just nothing in a shoe and I’m sure it’s not my feet!

A few years ago I ordered a pair of ballet pumps from Mango via my catalogue and as soon as I put them on they literally killed my feet, not only were they too narrow (and I've not even got wide feet) they were too short and my toes went right up to the top, so straight back they went with no extra cost to me. Maybe had I been in a shop I could've tried the larger size though, but I'd rather buy things that are true to size, and feel good from the outset. I'm generally lucky with footwear being a regular size 6 and having fairly narrow feet but I definitely think that footwear is not something to buy from QVC "wear them for 2 months, tread in dog$hit, transfer your athlete's foot, verrucas, cheesy stench, or foot lotion onto the insoles, and if they're no good to you, send them back, 'cause we know a few suckers - but it'll cost you mind!"
Mango sizes for tinies. Spanish brand. See also Zara

Latest posts

Back