Memory Foam Matress

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

JR's Ego

Registered Shopper
I was incredibly tempted the other day to ditch ALL my NN feather bedding and go for the Memory matress on IW. HOWEVER... I was stopped in my tracks when I read "dont use an electric blanket with Memory foam matresses"
I thought OMG, I cannot give up my leccy underblanket ever, so I now feel a bit sad I cannot have a memory foam matress, because of this reason.

Does anyone know why electric blankets and memory foam dont mix? Does anyone use an electric blanket on top of thair MF Matress regardless?

I need a good nights sleep, but at the same time, be toasty warm :clapping:

I've never noticed my memory foam mattress topper being cold at all. I have a mattress protector over it. You could use one of those fleecy toppers maybe?

I would imagine that if your leccy blanket developed a fault, it might melt the topper?
I don't know for sure though, I have never tried to set fire to my topper :giggle:

I've bought the Comfort & Dreams 'Bellisimo' 13+3.

The only trouble is - I've been waiting 10 days for it to arrive. I called Customer Service, and was told it was coming direct from the supplier, and they didn't have a date. (I told them this was different to Howard telling viewers that they were all in the IW warehouse waiting for buyers.)

Checked the 'Yodel' website - it is now on the delivery van. Heaven knows when it will arrive (I've had deliveries from them before at 9.30PM).

It does say it needs 24 hours to regain its shape - while other mattresses only need 4 hours. That Sue lady that was helping Howard flog them did say it only needed a few hours before you could sleep on it. Hmmm I'm confused... :emo:

You might just want to consider a topper rather than a memory foam mattress. We bought a new memory foam bed a couple of years ago and my hubby's back has not been good since. It was quite an expensive bed over £1000. His chiropractor recommended that we put a topper on it as the mattresses do not have a very thick layer of memory foam on them so there is not much foam to sink into. He said get one with at least 2" of foam.

our mattress is one with foam already in it, but I still use an electric blanket. I only put it on to warm the bed up and switch it off before I get in, but when it's really cold.....it's yummy!

I have a memory foam topper and use an electric blanket. I read lots of things about combining the two before I bought my blanket and most said it was ok but perhaps put an old sheet or something similar between the blanket and the mattress/topper which I have done. I've had my blanket for a couple of years now and often have it on low all night - my topper doesn't look any different on my husband's side where there is no electric blanket.

(If my memory topper is making my bed warmer then I dread to think how cold it would be without!! :sad::sad:)

Last edited:
I would not use an electric blanket now. I had an all night overblanket about 20 years ago and I went on to bed, when my husband came up later he saw sparks dropping out of the bottom of the bed - we pulled back the covers and the bit where the plug went in was sparking and was all black and the bedding around it was scorched. If I had slept through it it would probably have caught fire - if the fumes got to me first I might never have woken up. Now would never ever have one on my bed.

Re the memory foam on Ideal world. I noticed they were flogging a 3cm one the other day, but reshowing the footage of Dave Bradford in the shopping centre putting people to bed. I'm sure the demo one is 5cm which is a bit naughty....3cm really is not worth bothering with - and for the price they are quoting, Dunelm 5cm is about the same price. I have one on my son's bed and he moans it's not as nice as my Dunelm one and I can't get him out of my bed!

Re the memory foam on Ideal world. I noticed they were flogging a 3cm one the other day, but reshowing the footage of Dave Bradford in the shopping centre putting people to bed. I'm sure the demo one is 5cm which is a bit naughty....3cm really is not worth bothering with - and for the price they are quoting, Dunelm 5cm is about the same price. I have one on my son's bed and he moans it's not as nice as my Dunelm one and I can't get him out of my bed!
Have you got the 'value one' from Dunelm or the more expensive one? The cheaper one gets great reviews.

I'm not sure Rosey. It's a double and at the time cost £99 I think. One side is flat and the other has sort of slits in it (presume it's for aeration?) but I can't say I notice a difference in the sides when I'm sleeping on it.It's soooo comfortable and I have joint/arthritis problems and I have got decent nights' sleep since having it a couple of years ago. :clapping:

Think that's the 'value' one the exp one has a micro fibre layer on top. Thanks think we will get that one too. The reviews are very good.

My Comfort & Dreams arrived yesterday, and we have had a fantastic nights sleep!

Our old spring mattress (that was only a year old) was an orthopaedic mattress, and I used to wake up with hip and back pain - surprising, as I'm only 30. :tongue:

I've noticed we did get really hot on it - so I don't see why you would need an electric blanket on before you sleep. However, I will agree, it is nice on a cold evening to get into a nice hot bed. There are memory foams out there though that don't mind electric blankets, so JR, I do hope you find one. You will have the best nights' :sleepy: ever!!!!

I bought a memory foam topper the best thing I ever bought is fantastic I didn't buy it from a shopping channel but it really is good you won't think so when you get it you have to lay it out overnight to let the memory foam set it looks very thin and you think that looks rubbish but when its on the bed the difference is unreal. If you get a topper make sure you put it on the right way around or else it moves around under the sheet.

I agree the memory foam topper is the best thing I've bought from a shopping channel, but I get warm in bed so went for the polar memory foam from QVC (not the current one with knobbly bits but the slab type they used to stock). In fact I've now got three! They are excellent, but I must warn you it ruins you if you stay at a hotel or someone's house and they don't have memory foam it feels like sleeping on wood!

Think that's the 'value' one the exp one has a micro fibre layer on top. Thanks think we will get that one too. The reviews are very good.

Mine certainly doesn't have a microfibre layer on it, but I think there was only one option when I bought, so I daresay it's their new "improved" version a.k.a an excuse to charge more :tongue:

Mine's fabuloso - and as has been said, you dread sleeping anywhere else in case the mattress is hard!

Latest posts

Back