Michele Hope and Kim Mendelson - why oh why?!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Dawn Silver mentioning Fat Face- reminded me that I tend to like Joe Browns, mantaray, the White Stuff kind of style. It is easily replicated in the supermarkets and Next.

Even if you do see something you think might be ok, their sizing really let's them down badly which makes buying expensive when you have to pay just to try things on. A couple of weeks ago I saw a Ronni Nicole dress in an outlet show that I thought looked nice. Fitted, plain colour. I sent for it in my usual high street size as I've had a dress from that line before, same size, that fits fine. It arrived quick, two days, amazing! Tried it on, felt like I was squeezed into a sausage skin it was so tight, checked the label, 14 right size. It was also obviously a return as both it & the clear plastic bag were badly crumpled, label loose in bag.
I emailed same day to say I was returning under DSR & sent back that same afternoon, paid first class post. Two weeks on I am still waiting for it to show as returned & get a refund. Phoned yesterday to be told I need allow till this coming Thursday before they'll look into it. Sandals I returned five days after the dress are already logged as returned but , "It's a different department." Ridiculous!

I'm having a drastic wardrobe sort-out, long overdue. Out are going the tops bought because they were "useful", ie not worn but bought because they would be hopefully useful at some point in time, tops that are just a bit fussy, little prints that don't suit, tops that no longer fit. In are coming more neutrals because I love my jewellery. I scour the DHS for bargains, Sainsburys, shopping outlets, not one particular shop though I love Phase Eight, but a clean, unfussy, not-necessarily-classic look to wear with long-serving jeans, trousers, skirts, sweaters, cardies and jackets. Q's fashion just doesn't fit into this any more.

I wear loads of Joe Browns tunics which fit me as a dress as I'm short and Asda jeans fit me perfectly so I buy those. I do have a few Kim & Co dresses which look really nice on but I've never bought anything from Michele Hope - too much stretchy patterned lace and the skirts are way too long for me. The sizes are odd too - 10/12 would be too small whereas 14/16 would be too big. MH is still on QVC after all this time so someone must be buying the clothes.

CC

I like Witt International (online/mail order catalogue) for their tops, but their trousers are all straight-legged: not a good look on my short, fatty little frame. Ambrose Wilson (same shopping options) do some bootcut jeggings which work well for me. I generally don't do skirts or dresses, as they make me look dowdy.

I do wish Kim would stop spouting on about not letting the models intimidate us, that her clothes look great on all statures and body-types. Why not just show the clothes on short fatties, and let us judge for ourselves?

MH had a couple of cardis on her last shows, that I quite liked, but I have yet to take the plunge. That said, I've just remembered that I have a beautiful MH mesh shirt in my wardrobe, that I bought many moons ago. I forgot all about it, as I no longer fit into it! I ordered that Tony Little Resistance Thingy a couple of days ago; maybe I'll be svelte and 6 ft 5 by summer. Now, who mentioned body-blade ...

My big bugbear with fashion - unless its the £200 dress ! is that designers/manufacturers believe that if you are a plus size, then you are massive all over ! I'm middling in height 5'7, with average length arms, but by the cringe, any top to fit my size 20/22 has long sleeves that an orang-utan would be proud of. It could be the same top at size 20/22 for someone of 5'3 height and the sleeves would be sweeping the floor !

No doubt 'shorties' will have problems with maxi dresses and long skirts that I don't have. All a sign of cheap clothing, but few of us can afford a £200 dress for daywear - I have just the one, and boy what a difference, the fit and cut are something else, and I feel good wearing it.

Latest posts

Back