New tactic?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Maybe this has been going on for a while, but I've noticed recently in the "fashion" hours, a lot of name dropping. They were flogging some leggings/skirt combo from Kim the other day and they were suggesting what one could wear with it, and it was "A slogan t shirt from Gok Wan" Then a bit later something would've gone perfectly with one of "Marla's vest tops". Then a few days later I heard them saying how great this skirt would look with a pair of "Moda" trainers. What happened to the "little" pump, camisole etc etc? Obvs the producers have decided that if the presenter slips in a brand name every time, customers will be making a mad dash to their baskets to add another needlessly expensive item before it's too late. Nice try Q - You can sod off!

Maybe this has been going on for a while, but I've noticed recently in the "fashion" hours, a lot of name dropping. They were flogging some leggings/skirt combo from Kim the other day and they were suggesting what one could wear with it, and it was "A slogan t shirt from Gok Wan" Then a bit later something would've gone perfectly with one of "Marla's vest tops". Then a few days later I heard them saying how great this skirt would look with a pair of "Moda" trainers. What happened to the "little" pump, camisole etc etc? Obvs the producers have decided that if the presenter slips in a brand name every time, customers will be making a mad dash to their baskets to add another needlessly expensive item before it's too late. Nice try Q - You can sod off!
I think this has been happening for some time - add on sales Q style.

I think this has been happening for some time - add on sales Q style.
It probably has, but now I've noticed it, I'll be hearing it all the time. I think it's because Glen Campbell uttered the line about a little slogan t shirt from Gok Wan and he doesn't usually name drop brands. I'm sure the presenters have been told to do this, but I think this has probably been passed onto guest presenters too!

I think that if the guest was from the brand rather than the likes of Wet Evie who would flog a dead dog, it wouldn’t happen so much. Can’t see the likes of Kimmy in the studio allowing a presenter to suggest a TShirt from another brand when she has similar in her own range

I've also noticed that a presenter will say, for instance, that Jackie Kabler or Debbie Flint came into work today wearing this top, jumpsuit ... or whatever clothing they are selling at that particular moment. They imagine we might see these women as fashion role models we should strive to copy because they know their stuff !! Rubbish, but maybe it works with some lame brains.

That’s the equivalent of us going in wearing our tatty gardening clothes and changing in the loo - hardly a recommendation!

All the years I've been watching QVC its been really noticeable when a new 'edict' has been ordered from above. The language and terminology is suddenly used by all the presenters, so you can tell that a new marketing ploy has been discussed around the conference table. So transparent, the lot of 'em, and yes there will be those that get sucked in, but old stalwarts (like us) just bat it off like an annoying fly.

Like Grizelda says, lots of comments about who wore what to work, and an even bigger push, I've noticed, that they all seem to have 'got this one at home' or 'I bought this one / its in my wardrobe'. Oh, get stuffed !!!!

Could you imagine this kind of tactic going on in shops!!! Yes I know there are pushy sales people out there, though not usually in clothing stores - they're the polar opposite. "Have you got this in a size blah?" "If it ain't there, then nah" nobody says " why don't you size up, I'm sure it'll look just fine" "My aunt Fanny's got six of these, so I'd buy more than one if I were you"
Going back to the Q tactics, though so far I've only seen a couple of presenters doing this, is to wear a Q garment that they've purportedly bought (been given more like) and wear it on air frequently, seen Flinty in her Nipplegate top a couple of times and she's forever wearing that awful purple/blue floral dress, seen knuckles and Elidh wearing their Dannii minogue tshirts regularly, and JR tends to wheel out a few things. Thing is, going by the amount of sycophantic comments on social media regarding the presenters outfits, it works.
Whilst I'm here, can anyone remind me what Stine actually does? Most of the presenters look like they've got dressed in the dark, wear their own (Q) clothes anyway. Money for old rope - I reckon she'd be better off applying for a job as a wardrobe mistress for a horror movie franchise!

If people push me to buy something …. I don’t buy it.
If “celebrities” endorse something ….. I don’t buy it.

I’m big enough to know what I want and what I don’t want so, as far as QVC and “celebrities” are concerned, I’m a lost cause. 😉

I’m big enough to know what I want and what I don’t want so, as far as QVC and “celebrities” are concerned, I’m a lost cause. 😉

Same mindset as me. "Slebs in particular turn me off.

I can't believe the number of people out there that want something even vaguely linked with any 'sleb.

I wouldn't let that put me off if I was interested in a product. Same as I wouldn't buy something just because it's endorsed by someone who was well known. I'm more drawn to something that's demonstrated or has good reviews. Total sucker for the promise of a good concealer tho 😂

Latest posts

Back