NHS

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

YORKO

Registered Shopper
Bit fed up more than angry

The Doctor has diagnosed me with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Initially he suggested trying physio as this can usually prevent the need for an operation.

Ive tried to book NHS physio today and the first available appointment if the 8th April, the receptionists solution was to tell me I can always go private. 35 years of paying NI and I can go private, how generous.

The Doctor has diagnosed me with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Initially he suggested trying physio as this can usually prevent the need for an operation.

Ive tried to book NHS physio today and the first available appointment if the 8th April, the receptionists solution was to tell me I can always go private. 35 years of paying NI and I can go private, how generous.
YORKO. I'm an auxilliary (we help the nurses) in a plastic surgery ward and we do quite a bit of this surgery. Have you seen a plastic surgeon yet, if not get your doctor to refer you to one. I think there;s a waiting list incentive, so they probably have to see you in a certain time., Im back at work on Wednesday and will ask for you and see what they say is your best option, but sometimes surgery is the answer

YORKO. I'm an auxilliary (we help the nurses) in a plastic surgery ward and we do quite a bit of this surgery. Have you seen a plastic surgeon yet, if not get your doctor to refer you to one. I think there;s a waiting list incentive, so they probably have to see you in a certain time., Im back at work on Wednesday and will ask for you and see what they say is your best option, but sometimes surgery is the answer

Thanks Barbs

I am hoping that I can sort it with manipulation but I would be keen to hear what the options could be, also anyone else who has had this, how did you sort it.

Its more of an irritation than a real illness but still disruptes your life :sun:

My mum was diagnosed with CTS last year and she the doctor advised she should wear splints when doing anything hard going on the hands/wrists, lifting things, ironing etc...she was given a note to take to the local physio dept who got her sorted with a pair of splints.

Up here we have an 18 week referral to treatment rule, until that came in several years ago we were often waiting up to a year to be seen by various departments! For physio here you will be very close to the 18 week mark and you will be lucky if you get anymore than 6 sessions.

Utterly outrageous! Proposing a treatment plan that may or may not work that you can't have to evern find out! Flippin painful from what friends have told me, good luck in your quest to get treatment Hun! My neighbour was treated dreadfully, told she'd go to the back of the waiting list for a knee op as she couldn't have it when they said because her husband was terminally ill with cancer. She got hold of her MP & complained, tell u what it worked! x

Last edited:
My sister had both her wrists operated on for CTS, separately and she hasn`t looked back since having them done but it was hardwork for her to have one op, recover from it and then have another op. Hopefully they`ll sort u out without the need for surgery though.

Bet if you did pay it would be the same person you would wait until April to see.

This is true Donna, my friends mum needed an operation on her shoulder just before Christmas and the hospital said she would have to wait 3/6 months for an operation. Her husband is in BUPA through his work and in the end went private, she got in, in two weeks and found it was the same consultant she would have seen going through the NHS!

I really hope that no surgery is needed as Im pretty hopeless with needles and anything slightly medical (bit of a wuss, cant watch Holby or casualty and I once tried to give blood and passed out)

At least I can still go to the gym if I wear a splint and dont go mad, Im a bit of a gym bunny and thats how I relax so as long as it doesnt hurt I can carry on :muscle:

Thanks to all

I've had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands.

When first diagnosed I was referred to a physio and was given some general exercises and some splints to wear at night. They were basically like fingerless gloves with the slint part against the palm and inside of the wrist to stop you from folding your wrists inwards (which apparently is what we do when we sleep).

The splints only partially worked and it got to the point were I was losing some fine motor function so I then went on to have the surgeries.

The operation itself is not too bad - you are awake (unless you ask for sedation) and it is day surgery. Recovery is about 3 weeks but can be longer if you get something called pillar pain which is one of the possible complications.

I saw a hand trauma surgeon for mine (not plastics) so I guess it depends on how your trust is organised.

The results? Only partially successful as I still have some tingling and stiffness BUT that is probably caused by the delay in starting treatment and deciding on surgery... I would ask to be referred for a surgical consultation anyway whilst you are waiting for physio... you could always buy some splints to try as well in the meantime so that you know whether they help or not.

In all honesty, physio for me was a speed bump and I should just have gone straight for the operation... but we are all different.

Good luck.

I get CPS in the winter when it's cold and damp, I think it must be at least part genetic because my mum had both her wrists operated on in the 80s. She's fine now but I have a friend who felt worse after the op. :thinking:

I have splints, proper CPS ones with metal splint on both sides, and ibuprofen gel for the area. I also find that just keeping my wrists warm when it's cold can help lots, so wear tubigrips on there when chilly!

Yorko, I've had the op on both hands now and my GP said not to mess about with physio because it was basically a waste of time. While I was waiting for the first op (I had the right done first and then the left went about a year later), I bought a splint from my local Lloyds Pharmacy, which they order for you. However, when I needed one for the left hand I found there are lots on eBay (new!!) for much much less and exactly the same as the Lloyds ones. They do help with the pain and numbness during the day but you can't wear them at night. They are definitely functional rather than fashion!

The op was very straightforward and took 15 minutes tops - local anaesthetic and a few snips and tugs (very surreal!) after that plus a crepe bandage for about 10 days. I was told not to remove this but I ended up putting a new clean one on. The worst part was the pain whilst the anaesthetic wore off and feeling came back to the hand, but that only lasted a couple of hours. I've a small scar on the palm of both hands but you can't see it.

I personally would recommend the surgery because it worked for me. I'd got so bad I couldn't hold a knife and fork or the steering wheel of the car.

I read that you should wear the splints at night, on a CTS website too! Cold weather and seasonal changes definitely make my wrists more painful.

I read that you should wear the splints at night, on a CTS website too! Cold weather and seasonal changes definitely make my wrists more painful.

Yes... the physio and the consultant both said the splints (with the rigid bit against the wrist) should be worn at night.

Hello All

Many thanks for all the replies and info

I have bought myself a wrist splint (rigid one) on line and have been wearing it at night, it has helped to stop me waking up with the numbness and I have been wearing it on and off during the day. Still getting a bit of pain but bearable at the minute. I will see how it goes but think I may return to Docs and ask to be referred.

Once again thanks for the info and advice, its much appreciated

OH's colleague's wife had this. She didn't want to wait so went private initially. Tiny scar, quick recovery and the consultant assured her he'd see her on NHS for the other one and put her on the list. She waited nearly a year, ended up with a different surgeon, had huge, untidy scar and slow recovery.

Now I know that in all things human we have different ways of doing things, but regardless of who does the surgery, shouldn't it have been carried out in a similar way? She's thankful her worse hand was done first!

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back