Northern Nights featherbed, stitching coming undone - & only 6 mths guarantee!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

backstreetgirl

Registered Shopper
I purchased a Northern Nights featherbed, the more expensive type with the added cushion top, for my spare bed a few years ago. It's hardly used, but regularly shaken and I discovered recently that the stitching around some of the squares has come completely undone, therefore the filling in those areas has shifted, so in some places the featherbed is flat even when shaken. Very disappointing for an item that cost nearly £100.

I know it is well out of the guarantee period but I thought I would write to QVC and tell them and ask if, as a gesture of goodwill, they could take a look at it. It's no longer anywhere near as comfortable because of the filling not staying in the square sections, and in my opinion was not fit for its purpose.

They wrote back and said that no, they couldn't do anything as the item is outside of the 6 month guarantee that QVC offer on it!

I didn't really think they would do anything to be honest (I was just hoping), but a 6 MONTH GUARANTEE!! Surely it would be 12 months? nyway, I find it disgusting that if, say, the featherbed was 7 months old and this had happened, they wouldn't have done anything about it.

That's me finished with Northern Nights.

You'd think 12 months would be the minimum for everything wouldn't you?! I had similar a few years back with a pushchair, it was MacLaren so one of the biggest names, but this too only had a 6 month guarantee, they seemed to have the air of "something that is used a LOT would fail quicker", hence only providing a short guarantee. Which I think is daft cause a kettle would have a 12 mth one and this is used several times a day! I know you say your featherbed hasn't been used much but I suppose their argument would be in "your" case it just hasn't been but other people would be using it daily. Why not try contacting Northern Nights direct and bypassing QVC, ya never know! Good luck!!! x

Thanks Spooky, yes I think I will contact them directly and see what they have to say. I thought a 12 month guarantee was standard for everything? I know that in some cases, such as electrical items, there is actually a 5 year period whereby if anything goes wrong you are covered by law, but it's something that not a lot of people know about.

How would you contact NN? It's not a company is it? QVC own the brand,its just a name they slap on products from many different sources I think your best bet would be to contact the pacific coast feather company. I think they're the actual manufacturers of the feather products.

Hi Backstreetgirl,

I don't suppose you used a credit card to purchase the item did you? If so, your credit card company may have joint liability. I think that £100 is a lot of money to spend for something that's apparently only guaranteed for 6 months.

MSE - Section 75
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

Template letter
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/redir/f241d59c

Sale of Goods Act
http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/738369/738378/forcustomersflyer_pdf.pdf

Maybe Consumer Direct should be your first point of call, just to discuss what's happened and see what they have to say. They helped me when I needed to claim when a fault developed on a TV I purchased.
08454 04 05 06

the stitching didn't fail on my featherbed but it all moved around anyway. it ended up like a doughnut and no amount of shaking would shift it.

the quality of nn is very very variable which is a pain. i would love to but more bedding but it has never lived up to the hype. only the flannel i bought last year is nice and i have seen lots of stuff that after one wash its like old rags..t

I echo minnietheminx.

There's such a thing as Trading Standards, and goods fit for purpose and I think you could easily argue that something that's been little used which cost as much as that ought to last longer than 12 months.

Sorry to keep harping on about my job, but I do know the law! If the item is not "of satisfactory quality/fit for intended purpose then your statutory rights under the sale of goods act apply. You can get a refund, even if it is out of their 30 days or guarantee. You would expect a feather bed to last longer than 6 months wouldnt you? Can't quote you chapter and verse of the law as I am on maternity leave and it's not really my area.

My daughter bought a note book and just over the 12 months it went kaput and they just weren`t interested in any way shape or form!! In fact they were quite uperty about it as if she shouldn`t have had the cheek to ask what they were prepared to do!!

Companies will try it on...you mustn't walk away though. Keep onto them. Write letters.

The law says that you can potentially claim for faulty products up to 6 years from date of purchase. However, this is qualified by the type of product, purchase price, level of usage etc. A £150 notebook may well not be expected to last longer than a year with daily use. A £400 notebook would be expected to last longer than a year, even with daily use. It's a matter of fact and degree.

Write a letter pointing out your statutory rights and what you are asking for. You may be offered a repair (which the seller is entitled to do) and if it can't be repaired, then a refund (with a deduction for normal wear and tear for the usage period) or replacement (like for like).

If you don't get anywhere, ring Consumer Direct and ask them to help you. You can go to your local CAB. Or you could see a solicitor and pay them to write a letter in your behalf. It will cost you (but not as much as you might think) but in my experience companies tend to sit up and take notice when a solicitor's letter lands on the customer service desk.

Latest posts

Back