Not good advice, Glenn

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Miss Grumpy

Registered Shopper
I was watching Centigrade on mute, well, it was Glenn.... when I had to turn the volume up to listen to what he had to say about the latest in what seems to be QVC's love affair with blanket fashion.

Julia was unenthusiastically modelling a black and white 'tometrical", I think he meant 'geometrical' large dog blanket with flaps at the front.

Glenn said "if you are carrying extra weight around the tum,"... I was suddenly all ears, rather than all fat, ''this open waterfall style will suit you".

Errr, no. Having open flaps (there are no zips or buttons) which then billow out in the wind, not only make for a totally useless coat, but are likely to give the impression that one's tum and rest of body have taken on the status of a barrage balloon.

That made me wonder if he, or anyone else, had ever given dubious fashion advice.

I'm listening to all the pearls of wisdom falling from his mouth. A bigger collection of meaningless clichés would be hard to find! :mysmilie_11:

Got to add - one of the models is Courtney (does the Bare Minerals shows, very pretty) - she looks like she's been dipped in wood varnish... or has been Tangoed. I don't understand why people think a heavy tan is a flattering look. It really isn't.

Last edited:
The last place and the last people I would accept fashion advice from is QVC and it`s presenters.

The show is farcical - they don't seem to know what colours they've got... clearly nobody - including Julia, did any homework before going on air. Not very professional.

And some of the coats are obviously cut on the skimpy side, as some items look like they're pulling on the slim models... no hope for the rest of us, then!

Totally agree with you Maymorganlondon. I only watched the last ten minutes of the show and thought it was very cringe worthy when they couldn't make up their minds what the colours were called the silence was deafening. Somebody should tell them to get their act together - they are a laughing stock.

I only see snippets of things now because Q bores me mostly, but have noticed how unprofessional it seems sometimes. They used to make a big thing of preparation and 'homework' but that seems to have gone out of the window.

A bit less a**ing about with social media and a bit more preparation please :dull:

"If you are carrying a bit of extra weight around the tum!" And Julia was modelling! No wonder she was unenthusiastic, I would be too with mine!

Can vouch for skimping on material. Bought a second coat of same style and it has an open inverted triangle gap below the buttons. Ruined the look and comfort.

Glen should come with the option of subtitles. What a ridiculous voice for TV, never heard anyone mumble as much as he does, and when they say armhole I think yes, you certainly are.

All the guest stylist wax lyrical about Q fashion ... but I wonder how many actually advise their clients to buy it? Can`t remember which one it was the other day said horizontal stripes on a straight up and down maxi dress was ok for a larger figure after the presenter asked would it suit ..then went onto to say it depends what kind of stripe it is ... in my book a horizontal stripe is a stripe whichever way you look at it .. at least when Julia is selling jewellery she will say if s bracelet wont fit a larger wrist so don`t buy it whereas in `fashion` they`ll say anything to sell it !!

How does Glen earn a living when he isn`t at QVC which isn`t very often these days ?

Well lets face it if Mr Campbell is advice host on a shopping channel then he is hardly going to be exactly 'top of his game' is he even though it is apparently the 'nations favourite shopping channel', but saying that he is the so called 'ambassedor' for Centigrade he works for QVC, so he his underlying mantra is to 'sell sell sell', I mean lets face it if the coat needs to be sent back then that cost alone is going to be fairly expensive given the fact that coats (certainly the heavier winter coats), are going to be costly to send back. It is therefore in their interests to sell (sometimes no matter what), so that less favourable selling items are sold. I know this may seem like false advertising and I maybe wholly unfair, but every time he says that a quilted coat would look good on my size (XXL (ish) and beyond then I know to take his advice with a huge pinch of salt, for me quilted coats extenuate to the (IMO) detriment of the wearer figure.
The only advice that I have ever been given that was really bad, was when I was in a well-known high street PC store and was told that I needed to purchase insurance, even though I explained that I had insurance, he was still insistent that I purchased it, I didn't want to, thus for some reason the sale didn't go through. I did what I should have done initially and purchased on-line.

I saw a small snippet of this show, and saw Julia in a padded jacket and my first thought was, 'have you gone for the size small Julia?'. It was too tight on her, but because I did not have the sound on and quickly turned over, I am not sure if she admitted it was too small or not.

I have bought jackets off QVC in the past and have a lovely one I bought years ago - memory woman here can't remember the name of the brand - but it is one of my favourites with a furry collar and furry bits at the end of the sleeves. (Not Dennis Basso - no chance). It is not padded but very warm. However, these days I doubt I would buy a heavy item such as a coat, due to the chances of it not fitting, and having to pay a fair bit to send back. I prefer to try them on in shops where there is a selection of sizes to hand.

I saw a small snippet of this show, and saw Julia in a padded jacket and my first thought was, 'have you gone for the size small Julia?'. It was too tight on her, but because I did not have the sound on and quickly turned over, I am not sure if she admitted it was too small or not.

In most cases during the show Julia admitted that the Medium was the best size for her. In one case where she was clutching the medium to keep it closed, she said she'd probably prefer the Small. In the case of the jacket which looked too tight in a Small on Courtney, who was modelling it, she did say she'd probably need the Large.

Latest posts

Back