OH, Pleeeeease !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
I have just received an email from Q saying.................... "Lets Keep The Menopause Conversation Going". No, I'm not.

I'm fed up with all the publicity this is getting. Its not an illness that needs a cure, like puberty, having sex, giving birth and dying, its part of life.

Although Davina has decided she is the new Messiah of the Menopause ! along with plugging her fitness equipment, her hair dye contract, her JD Williams contract, her TV programmes etc etc etc. I was even surprised she attached herself in a photograph with the brave and inspirational Bowel Babe, which made me raise an eyebrow.

I have just received an email from Q saying.................... "Lets Keep The Menopause Conversation Going". No, I'm not.

I'm fed up with all the publicity this is getting. Its not an illness that needs a cure, like puberty, having sex, giving birth and dying, its part of life.

Although Davina has decided she is the new Messiah of the Menopause ! along with plugging her fitness equipment, her hair dye contract, her JD Williams contract, her TV programmes etc etc etc. I was even surprised she attached herself in a photograph with the brave and inspirational Bowel Babe, which made me raise an eyebrow.
How very dare they send you this email? I have my opinions on this subject, but I don't want to make people angry, which I am sure my comments would do, so I'm going to stay quiet. 'Just saying' though, Davina is a money grubbing pain in the patooty.

I got the same email, brissles, saw the subject and deleted it without opening it. This “conversation” is a no-brainer for QVC as they stand to make money from the sales of vitamins, pelvic floor exercisers, cool bedding and whatever else they can push, all the while appearing “worthy”, “caring”, “in tune with their customers”.

Yes, that is QVC's new bandwagon jump the menopause. Passed mine, and it was a conversation women had with each other, we didn't need celebs jumping up to get attention for themselves. Or dare I say make money from.
Got it in one. All of a sudden it's very important that everyone knows about menopause (we did anyway, thanks). Hey (think the slebs), we can get ourselves in the limelight AND MAKE LOTS OF MONEY by SHARING OUR ****** STORIES. Er, I don't think that many of us are interested in the slebs MP stories which unsurprisingly are exactly the same as our own.

I think my MP has been and gone and I know I'm very lucky but I didn't notice. Or maybe it's late :eek::eek::oops:

CC

I got the same email, brissles, saw the subject and deleted it without opening it. This “conversation” is a no-brainer for QVC as they stand to make money from the sales of vitamins, pelvic floor exercisers, cool bedding and whatever else they can push, all the while appearing “worthy”, “caring”, “in tune with their customers”.
Ditto.

I know that some women do have real problems going through the menopause, although I was one of the lucky ones and breezed through mine, but I have no idea why a shopping channel needs to jump on the bandwagon. If you experience problems with the menopause, you see a doctor, not a “shop assistant.”

I've just checked and I got the email too "Menopause your way" - They make it sound like a lifestyle choice! I was lucky and had no symptoms, just stopped, but I know others who've had a really bad time of it. It shouldn't be used as a marketing tool. Us ladies aren't stupid, we know that there are targeted vitamins you can buy, what helps with hot flushes and when to seek medical advice etc etc. As for keeping the conversation going - I wasn't aware of the menopause being something women were ashamed of, but again I see this as another marketing ploy, get a few zelebs on board to make it fashionable, therefore more acceptable and then soon we'll be rushing to the phones to get all the "stuff" we need! You know where you can "Stuff" all your overpriced stuff QVC!

Memo to Davina : Aren't you amazed that millions of women before you were born, and while you were little, and through your teenage years (sssssh, I won't mention the heroin * ), managed to survive the Change of Life without shouting about it to the world ??

( * you'd be more help publicising the affects of drugs and the damage to teenagers, than making money from a rite of passge)

As someone who had the dubious pleasure of going through menopause twice, I find the sudden "discovery" of menopause by the media incredibly irritating. Beyond the media, all the slebs who have jumped on the bandwagon and then start pontificating as if they have superior knowledge of this phase in life pee me off big time.
Big companies treat women as fools and cash cows. Pregnancy - merch it. Breast cancer - merch it. Menopause - oooh NEW merching opportunity!

I got the same email - not sure how they decided who to send it to?!
Maybe all women but I’m not far into my 40’s and hoping the menopause is a little ways off still (please Lord!)

I actually think it’s no bad thing that’s it’s being spoken about more freely and there is more information on what symptoms it can cause and the pros/cons of “treatments” and management options etc.

I know quite a few people who had a really hard time going through it and some who still are aged 70+ (I naively thought it ended soon after periods stopped - seems not for all, sadly!)

Even my mum didn’t really speak to me or any of us about it - it just wasn’t the done thing - and she’s a nurse, though she had dreadful time. (Made worse by existing conditions)....

So I think it being more widely known about, especially for people struggling, would help make them feel less isolated and more able to not be embarrassed or ashamed should they need to.

However, I do agree it doesn’t need politicising and/or making such a huge public “thing” of it!

And as you say, the likes of QVC getting in on the act is solely to ingratiate themselves with their typical viewer (though not most on here!) and to monetise it (as with everything else!)
We all know they have no shame!

Finding it tacky that they’re doing a live “let’s all sit around and chat about it” type show on the subject but can’t say I’m terribly surprised!

I got the same email - not sure how they decided who to send it to?!
Maybe all women but I’m not far into my 40’s and hoping the menopause is a little ways off still (please Lord!)

I actually think it’s no bad thing that’s it’s being spoken about more freely and there is more information on what symptoms it can cause and the pros/cons of “treatments” and management options etc.

I know quite a few people who had a really hard time going through it and some who still are aged 70+ (I naively thought it ended soon after periods stopped - seems not for all, sadly!)

Even my mum didn’t really speak to me or any of us about it - it just wasn’t the done thing - and she’s a nurse, though she had dreadful time. (Made worse by existing conditions)....

So I think it being more widely known about, especially for people struggling, would help make them feel less isolated and more able to not be embarrassed or ashamed should they need to.

However, I do agree it doesn’t need politicising and/or making such a huge public “thing” of it!

And as you say, the likes of QVC getting in on the act is solely to ingratiate themselves with their typical viewer (though not most on here!) and to monetise it (as with everything else!)
We all know they have no shame!

Finding it tacky that they’re doing a live “let’s all sit around and chat about it” type show on the subject but can’t say I’m terribly surprised!
I'm all for it no longer being a "suffer in silence" time of life. I just hate the monetising, merching and patronising that's going with it. Some sail through serenely, no symptoms - lucky. Some have to make multiple attempts to get dressed when a hot flush ruins an outfi. Some struggle to get a decent night's sleep. Some lose copious amounts of hair. Some have their skin transformed from firm to slack almost overnight. Some develop acne. Some pile on weight. Some have brain fog. Some end up with horrible mood swings... and I've only scratched the surface!

I get what everyone’s said, and I do wonder about Q’s motives in bringing it up, but in general i do think that it being talked about regularly so that it becomes more understood and less taboo is a good thing, and I’m all for it.
I’ll get my tin hat….🫤

I get what everyone’s said, and I do wonder about Q’s motives in bringing it up, but in general i do think that it being talked about regularly so that it becomes more understood and less taboo is a good thing, and I’m all for it.
I’ll get my tin hat….🫤
I think it's Q blatently jumping on the bandwagon rubbing everyone up the wrong way... but Q talk about a supportive community, when for them it's yet another way to flog goods to women. I know that's their whole purpose, but it just seems fake to me and maybe others. Yes, let women know about communities in the real world and online where they can share their experiences and get advice and tips from each other about things that have made a difference to them.
Connecting with others walking the same path can be very helpful and remind you that you are not alone in struggling with the negative effects... but as Boffy has pointed out, there are positives... no more surfing the crimson wave, having to work out when you're going to be on and being prepared... no more painful cramps... no more risk of accidental pregnancy...

Latest posts

Back