Ooops! Roots alert to JR...... B and W show

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

And thank you to all who have said nice things. It's lovely to hear. I'll put the cat back in a bit.

I've got my hair coloured dark brown too and I sympathise with JR as to how fast roots appear. The difference between us though is that she can (probably) afford to have the roots re-done every week or so if needed.

Same here and it's a real problem as the percentage of natural grey increases. On the rare occasions I haven't managed to avoid having my photo taken this year, I've noticed that I look as if I'm going thin on top - and I'm fortunate to have masses of hair! It must be even worse for JR under those studio lights.

I can't be bothered with the hassle or expense of having it done more than I do - every five weeks - nor do I want to go grey as nature intended yet because mine is the most unappealing and ageing drab sort of salt & pepper.

It's a bit of a dilemma!

Hairdressers tend to suggest that you dye a lighter colour when you get older for 2 reasons. Firstly when it is lighter the grey roots don't show as much and secondly our skin tone lightens and dark hair colours look harsh against our faces. I dye my hair at home every 3 weeks. I just don't have time to go to the hairdressers all the time for hours at a time.

Same here and it's a real problem as the percentage of natural grey increases. On the rare occasions I haven't managed to avoid having my photo taken this year, I've noticed that I look as if I'm going thin on top - and I'm fortunate to have masses of hair! It must be even worse for JR under those studio lights.

I can't be bothered with the hassle or expense of having it done more than I do - every five weeks - nor do I want to go grey as nature intended yet because mine is the most unappealing and ageing drab sort of salt & pepper.

It's a bit of a dilemma!
I've always got my hairdresser to dye my hair and it costs about £40.00 for colour and £42.00

for cutting, add the cost of the petrol to get there, car parking and tips, i don't have much change out of a hundred. Its an Aveda salon,

same as Julia's, and i usually only go about every 3 months. But this time i decided to dye it myself, which i did about 5 weeks ago,

John Freida £10.00 ( 3 for 2 in Boots) and im getting my hair cut tomorrow, so it'll be interesting to see what Patrick says about my

home dyed hair. Can't afford to keep paying that. He drives a porsche and i give him a tip . Crazy me

I'm naturally almost black but dye my hair dark brunette. I hate dying my own hair so I get it done professionally every three months then touch up the roots myself in between. Works for now but I don't go to a named salon. My hairdresser is an independent and she is fab. It grows like the clappers though so I have to have it cut every five weeks. Fortunately my hairdresser isn't too expensive. £35 for a cut and £40 for a colour. 10 minutes from my office and free parking. I don't tip but I do buy her a present at Christmas.

I always do my own colour, you can buy decent products which produce multitonal shades and look good. For roots I use half a box and save the rest for next time, my hairdresser suggested it as the touch up kits are virtually the same price. So I go full box, half box for roots, half box for roots and then full box which makes it pretty economical. Also avoids having too much colour on hair that does not need touching up.

Great advice about going a lighter shade as you get older.

I'm naturally almost black but dye my hair dark brunette. I hate dying my own hair so I get it done professionally every three months then touch up the roots myself in between. Works for now but I don't go to a named salon. My hairdresser is an independent and she is fab. It grows like the clappers though so I have to have it cut every five weeks. Fortunately my hairdresser isn't too expensive. £35 for a cut and £40 for a colour. 10 minutes from my office and free parking. I don't tip but I do buy her a present at Christmas.

What i meant to say was, and forgot, doh, was i don't have mch grey, mostly at the front and my side
parting, They seem to be thicker hair and they stick out sometimes. he he. I could maybe just get my
hairdresser to do it every 3 or so months and do the roots myself. Never thought of that :thinking:

darn it, i missed tink's pic. thought it was my puter till i saw the post saying the cat was back. lol

my natural colour was very dark brown with a reddish hue. i loved it much morte than the blonde i am now. when i started to go grey i did what most people do and coloured the lot at home. it soon became obvious though that very dark hair with an older skin didn't match - take note julia! and i was much younger than she is now. so i started having blonde highlights to blend in the grey. over the years of course you get blonder and blonder. i go to a hairdresser who works from home, whole head colour and cut every 4 months. root touch up and fringe cut in between after 2 months. i never wanted to be blonde, i liked my real hair but it just doesn't suit. wonder if julia will still be dyeing it that colour when she's 80??

Hairdressers tend to suggest that you dye a lighter colour when you get older for 2 reasons. Firstly when it is lighter the grey roots don't show as much and secondly our skin tone lightens and dark hair colours look harsh against our faces. I dye my hair at home every 3 weeks. I just don't have time to go to the hairdressers all the time for hours at a time.

Interesting point regarding the time spent in a salon. I dont do my own clour or roots but until recently went to a salon every 6 weeks at a cost of approx £65 for roots and trim. I used to be there for at least 2 hours. The last few times I have used a mobile who goes to my daughters house, same job half the price and all done within an hour.

It seems that a lot of the time spent in the salon was faffing about and waiting while the stylist "finished off" other clients.

Actually it looks better since using the mobile lady

I have resorted to dying my hair myself at home(superdrug permanent colour about £3.50 a box ta very much!) Until about 5 years ago I had foil highlights at a salon which cost £85 inc trim but as the grey sprouted ever more abundantly I colour it all over in the sandy blonde I was as a child. Turned mousy brown as I got older though. If I could afford the £50 every 3 weeks I would love to have it done for me but at least if I need it doing for a night out I can just whack it on and be done.

My mum is in her seventies and isn't grey. She has red hair with a really strong pigment and it has hung in there, although got lighter. Ok now there are a few bits to touch up at the front but she only occasionaly has them done and I never notice any grey. Unfortunately it has already become clear to me that this is not something I've inherited.

My mum is in her seventies and isn't grey. She has red hair with a really strong pigment and it has hung in there, although got lighter. Ok now there are a few bits to touch up at the front but she only occasionaly has them done and I never notice any grey. Unfortunately it has already become clear to me that this is not something I've inherited.

the redheads i know have had the most luck as they've got older. red hair just seems to go gradually paler and paler without looking obviously grey.

Interesting, I thought that Q sell Root Mimic to cover grays and reviews are good except for blond colour. Surprised that JR not using it or people on this forum, but I haven't read the whole thread, may have missed it. There's also another product on Q for covering roots, it's new, forgot the brands name.

My natural hair colour - before all the grey - was almost black and I've always had very pale skin but, unfortunately, anything lighter than the dark brown colour I have it dyed now looks too orangey!

I've tried highlights, lowlights, an all over plum colour, professional hair dye, and various brands from the shops but it nearly always comes out too gingery - which doesn't suit me. The professional stuff always looks a flat, dull colour on me so I buy Recital Preference in Virginia 5.3 and it gives my hair a lovely shine that lasts the full five weeks.

My hairdresser, who comes to my house, applies it, then we have a cup of tea whilst waiting for it to "take" and after I've washed it off she cuts my hair. She's not expensive by salon standards but this has been going on for about 10 years now - I sometimes wonder if I should visit a salon for a complete change but I'd feel such a traitor and she does cut it very well!

My natural hair colour - before all the grey - was almost black and I've always had very pale skin but, unfortunately, anything lighter than the dark brown colour I have it dyed now looks too orangey!

I've tried highlights, lowlights, an all over plum colour, professional hair dye, and various brands from the shops but it nearly always comes out too gingery - which doesn't suit me. The professional stuff always looks a flat, dull colour on me so I buy Recital Preference in Virginia 5.3 and it gives my hair a lovely shine that lasts the full five weeks.

My hairdresser, who comes to my house, applies it, then we have a cup of tea whilst waiting for it to "take" and after I've washed it off she cuts my hair. She's not expensive by salon standards but this has been going on for about 10 years now - I sometimes wonder if I should visit a salon for a complete change but I'd feel such a traitor and she does cut it very well!

I hadn't been to the hairdresser in 15 months until last week - hair was just tied into a ponytail and various hairpieces wound round it. I decided not to go back to previous hairdresser as expensive (£46 in August 2011) and I had to travel and park as well as welll as use my valuable Saturday time. Went round a few local places and found they had gone up to £43. Eventually found one doing a 30% deal off in the evening and paid £26.60.

@ Disenchanted seems like you have found something that works for you.

I'm still sticking with the very dark colour for now. I don't dye it black because I do think taking it down a tone or two is a good idea. My skin tone is still quite dark too. I'm dark olive skinned so always look tanned even when I haven't seen the sun for a while. I can't imagine going grey but at some stage I probably will or perhaps I'll just go lighter brown. I certainly won't go blond. I'll look very, very silly.

Well, I can't wait to lose the pigment in my hair!

I started going white around my hairline in my late 30s and unfortunately, I've made little progress since. Our family seems to have a short grey time lapse & go to white rapidly. I remember paying my last respects to a relative who died in her 40s. The bottom section of her hair was dyed blonde. For about 5" above that, she was steel grey. The final section, again about 5" from her scalp down, she had white hair. She wore her hair up normally, so the clear distinction was not that obvious.
One of my best friends who had brown/ black hair in her teens, now has white hair & it's stunning.
Another dark-haired friend dyes her hair and it always has a henna look about it. Last year she got fed up and had her hair cut Judi Dench style & went with the grey. She put a colour on it again after a few weeks because she said she found it very off putting when very elderly people started nodding to her when she was out and about as if she was part of their gang lol.

I'm with you minim - if my hair was white or that lovely steely grey I'd give up the colour tomorrow but mine is so drab. In the back of my mind I just can't help feeling that all those chemicals applied straight onto the skin aren't such a good idea but it's really my one main vanity - crowning glory etc......

Latest posts

Back