Outdoor Living

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ohnonotshoppingagain

Registered Shopper
I have a large garden taken care of by my gardener/handyman because I just can’t do it. I have lovely garden furniture and a large canopy outside my kitchen door to patio, lovely large table and chairs rattan too. If I chose I can sit under this canopy even in pouring rain so long as there is no wind blowing in the rain without ever getting wet. My problem is that I never use this or my summerhouse, which is rattan furnished too, and I can’t sit on a garden bench at another area of my garden. Basically all I do is look and admire.

The reason for this is that I am petrified of spiders no matter their size. It is in my opinion not just a severe phobia but I believe anyone with a severe phobia, it should be referred to as an illness. I have been this way from a very early age.

When I see the swing chairs on QVC or my garden centre, the first thing that cones to mind is what a great place for their webs. I am shivering just writing this.

I have a large garden taken care of by my gardener/handyman because I just can’t do it. I have lovely garden furniture and a large canopy outside my kitchen door to patio, lovely large table and chairs rattan too. If I chose I can sit under this canopy even in pouring rain so long as there is no wind blowing in the rain without ever getting wet. My problem is that I never use this or my summerhouse, which is rattan furnished too, and I can’t sit on a garden bench at another area of my garden. Basically all I do is look and admire.

The reason for this is that I am petrified of spiders no matter their size. It is in my opinion not just a severe phobia but I believe anyone with a severe phobia, it should be referred to as an illness. I have been this way from a very early age.

When I see the swing chairs on QVC or my garden centre, the first thing that cones to mind is what a great place for their webs. I am shivering just writing this.
Could you ask your gardener to buy some strong insect spray and every time he comes, spray everything really thoroughly? You could take the spray outside with you and spray the chair before you sit down. You might have to wear a mask for a few minutes. Who knows is phobias can be cured? Only a professional would know.

I was frightened of everything but now living alone I have had to deal with mice in the garden, sometimes rats, Insects like spiders and other creepy crawlies. Foxes digging holes the size of a well. Nieghbours cats business. Its sad that its stopping you from enjoying your garden. Its made me a bit of a warrior. I love my garden I spend all day out there just sitting in my Egg chair or planting more plants that I dont really have room for. Its such a shame you cant enjoy your outdoor space its a rarity these days. x

I was frightened of everything but now living alone I have had to deal with mice in the garden, sometimes rats, Insects like spiders and other creepy crawlies. Foxes digging holes the size of a well. Nieghbours cats business. Its sad that its stopping you from enjoying your garden. Its made me a bit of a warrior. I love my garden I spend all day out there just sitting in my Egg chair or planting more plants that I dont really have room for. Its such a shame you cant enjoy your outdoor space its a rarity these days. x
Similar to my situation, Boffy. I had mice, and one rat that I knew of. So, I got a cat, and that seems to have solved the problem, although she kills the little lizards in the garden and sometimes birds, which is upsetting. I'm always buying plants, as well. I had to dig up four rose bushes today because of disease. I've ordered 4 jasmine plants to replace them, but there's really not enough space. I love sitting outside in the mornings, although as the summer gets hotter, it will limit me to only before 11 a. m.

Exactly the same for me. Oddly, my brother a retired firefighter is terrified of spiders (and injections), despite the absolutely gut-churning situations he had to deal with at work.

Exactly the same for me. Oddly, my brother a retired firefighter is terrified of spiders (and injections), despite the absolutely gut-churning situations he had to deal with at work.
How do people develop phobeas? Who knows, but, even when you know that they are ridiculous, you can't rid yourself of them.

I know it’s sad. Nxt door’s child makes life miserable at weekends and school holidays. This little boy who can’t be seen due my high fencing, screams and shouts abuse at my dogs which causes my dogs to bark, it does my head in so I end up bringing my dogs in just for peace, another reason I can’t enjoy my garden. There is a badness in that child I have never heard shouting from a six year old like it, and he has done it since he was three. I have no idea why he behaves as he does especially as he has three dogs if his own, but his parents never tell him to stop. I don’t know these people, and don’t want to, but the stress this causes me is awful.

I never kill spiders, they are lucky and they eat flies. I can understand phobias though. If a wasp comes near me I become a hysterical bat and then a wasp serial killer. Bees don't bother me, rats have me running for the hills.

OhNoNotShopping - awful neighbours can ruin lives. I moved more than once. I wish you peace to enjoy your garden.

CC

I feel your pain. I am scared of wasps. I'm the one you see running around trying to avoid them. I've tried to stay still, but that just makes me even more scared. I've had hypnotherapy but it didn't help. I don't mind bees though, and find them fascinating.

Noisy neighbours/children are a nightmare. We've some by us and it can get you down when all you want is peace.

Could you ask your gardener to buy some strong insect spray and every time he comes, spray everything really thoroughly? You could take the spray outside with you and spray the chair before you sit down. You might have to wear a mask for a few minutes. Who knows is phobias can be cured? Only a professional would know.
Insect spray can kill bees and butterflies and who knows what else.
I've rescued bees from spiders webs in the greenhouse and once when trying to get a wasp on our room window into a glass to put it outside,decapitated the poor thing.
The fox in our garden buries eggs,although the ground is like concrete now so it's got no chance.
The only thing I shoo away are the Magpies as we have birds nesting in the hedge and tit box.

I have no choice but to spray, mainly for mosquitoes. Spiders don't frighten me. The area where I live is sprayed by the town hall groundsmen at the beginning of summer to help protect babies and young children from being bitten, but it's not enough to stop them entirely. I hate the thought of killing precious bees. I've never seen a fox, but I'm sure they're around here, lying low.

I'm phobic about spiders, and it's really crippling. I have heart problems, and when a spider appears, my heart rate goes chaotic. I live alone, and I find this phobia affects my quality of life.
Ahh TFADS thats so sad. I hate them so much that they have to be hoovered up or I cant get on with my day. I know it sounds bad but I know how you feel x

I'm phobic about spiders, and it's really crippling. I have heart problems, and when a spider appears, my heart rate goes chaotic. I live alone, and I find this phobia affects my quality of life.
Me too, also heart problems, and makes life crippling, I think people in general don’t have a great understanding of severe phobias regardless of what the phobia is.

I accidentally stepped on a spider today and it was flat stanley spider but it's legs were still moving so I put it outside in the wisteria and hoped for the best. For all you spider phobics, that's one less to worry about or one that walks with a limp :rolleyes:

When I lived in London we had urban foxes and they used to hover around the shops at night with their cubs. If you've ever heard one screaming now THAT is scary (if you don't know what it is).

CC

I
I accidentally stepped on a spider today and it was flat stanley spider but it's legs were still moving so I put it outside in the wisteria and hoped for the best. For all you spider phobics, that's one less to worry about or one that walks with a limp :rolleyes:

When I lived in London we had urban foxes and they used to hover around the shops at night with their cubs. If you've ever heard one screaming now THAT is scary (if you don't know what it is).

CC
Oh I know about the noise from foxes.
One night a sound woke me up and it sounded like a puppy was trapped but my neighbour said it was a Barn Owl sat on her roof.

I had a varn owl roost in one of the trees on a night for a while last year. The noise was horrendous totally get the reference to a banshee. Read somewhere it was the fore telling of a death. Thankfully that myth remained just a myth.

Latest posts

Back