Peony TSV 1 March

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Don't know if anyones interested but I bought last Mothers Day week from Aldi, a real white orchid like the peony ones but in a plain white pot for £10.
It flowered for ages on the windowsill, watered once a week with no feeding or repotting, when all the flowers died I trimmed it.
It's now grown two fresh stems one is full of flowers and the other has fresh buds, measuring 24 inches high by 20 inches wide, it looks stunning.
Just before Christmas they had some coloured ones in red pots, but they didn't look as nice plants, gave them a miss.
I'll be looking out for some repeat ones this Mothers Day for gifts, as mine has been well worth the money.

Don't know how this will compere to last years offering, but here's a heads up for anyone who maybe interested to take a look :

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_23721.htm

i had a very pretty Orchid from Tesco a few weeks ago for £5.00 may have been reduced though. I suppose all Mumsie type plants will be expensive for the next few weeks.

i had a very pretty Orchid from Tesco a few weeks ago for £5.00 may have been reduced though. I suppose all Mumsie type plants will be expensive for the next few weeks.

That's a very good price for an orchid the ones I've seen in Aldi are like ones I've seen in M&S and garden centres in the past for at least £30 upwards.
I did think mine from last year won't last and certainly not re flower, but it's doing really well.

@ bags. Mine didn't have a nice pot. Orchids are very easy to keep as they are better neglected. Sounds like you have the right regime for it. You can use bark to replenish the soil and just a little plant food though not sure when.

I've got an orchid I bought last year still going. When the flowers died off first time instead of binning it I left it on a windowsill behind the curtain, gave it a teeny bit of water every week or two (when I remember basically). The tall shoot died off but the leaves stayed, after a while it put out a new tall shoot, so I just fastened that to the stick and soon it started flowering again. (I heard Alan Titchmarsh talking about it once, gave it a go and it worked, I'd always thrown them away in the past. )

I find these easy to look after (cos they really don't need much looking after!) and they are the only houseplant I can keep alive. Basically I put them all in a washing up bowl with tepid water every 2 weeks and leave them in there for about an hour, let them drain and put back where they were.

Latest posts

Back