Pink Paraiba tourmaline??

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Drsparkle

Registered Shopper
Paraiba tourmaline is one of my favourite gem stones. I have gems lovely stones in rings (sadly from Mozambique not Brazil) but I have never heard of the pink paraiba tourmaline they are showing tonight on the Cavill and co hour.
I thought the term Paraiba tourmaline was specific to a certain hue of blue green tourmaline. Anything outside that range has names such as cuprian tourmaline and copper bearing tourmaline.

Is this them making stuff up again.

There is such a thing - but it is extremely rare.

If there was only one or two available - then it could well have been exactly what it said - but if there were bulk quantities, I would imagine that they've been a bit 'creative' in their naming of it.

In addition to copper, a higher amount of manganese than usual also needs to be present in order to get a pink / violet / purple colour.

In order to be called 'Paraiba', all of the other trace minerals that are in the 'normal' blue / bluish-green / green Paraibas need to be present too.

All Paraiba Tourmalines are Cuprian Tourmaline - but not all Cuprian Tourmalines are Paraiba.

So yes, basically, it all comes down to the manganese content. I think if I was paying thousands for it, I'd want an independent lab report confirming it - not a Gemporia certificate.

Latest posts

Back