Polyester the polluter?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
Who knew ???

Learned something today after reading a condemning article in the MoS. About Shein the chinese throwaway fashion firm and the fact that their clothes are made mainly of POLYESTER - like QVC and many of the frocks and tops in numerous catalogues.

"Polyester is a synthetic fabric usually derived from petroleum. When washed, they produce microfibres, which contribute to the huge volumes of plastic pollution in the seas."

This may be a well known fact to some, but its a new one on me. I've never been a huge fan of the stuff due to its sweaty qualities when worn for long enough, and a quick check in my wardrobe showed much more to be cotton and linen, but then there is the poly/cotton, poly/linen mix which is bad enough, but enough for me to not buy purely poly ever again.

Sadly polyester is everywhere and I suppose I`m as guilty as the next person for owning stuff which is polyester or polyester mix. My only defence is the fact that much of my wardrobe is several years old and I tend to buy much fewer clothes now I`m retired and the stuff I do buy tends to be either denim jeans, cotton T shirts or replacement items for holidaying abroad and almost everything I use on holiday is either cotton or linen.
I no longer have need for smart work attire and I honestly can`t remember the last time I bought a dress. I know many younger people buy from the likes of BooHoo or Asos and its nothing unusual for them to wear something a couple of times and then consign it to the back of the wardrobe because something else has caught their eye and such brands are known for being cheap rather than making stuff which lasts and its almost 100% made from polyester.
I recently read an article which spoke about how dental floss was polluting the rivers and oceans and because it resembles a worm wriggling in the water, the sea/river life are eating it. It doesn`t degrade and because its so fine and light, it regularly escapes being filtered through the sewerage systems and many people are flushing it down the loo after using it. Much of it is plastic coated especially the tape kind and sea life has been found with knots of it in their stomachs. The article said if people stopped flushing it along with other items such as wet wipes and cotton buds then it would prevent many aquatic deaths.

Sadly polyester is everywhere and I suppose I`m as guilty as the next person for owning stuff which is polyester or polyester mix. My only defence is the fact that much of my wardrobe is several years old and I tend to buy much fewer clothes now I`m retired and the stuff I do buy tends to be either denim jeans, cotton T shirts or replacement items for holidaying abroad and almost everything I use on holiday is either cotton or linen.
I no longer have need for smart work attire and I honestly can`t remember the last time I bought a dress. I know many younger people buy from the likes of BooHoo or Asos and its nothing unusual for them to wear something a couple of times and then consign it to the back of the wardrobe because something else has caught their eye and such brands are known for being cheap rather than making stuff which lasts and its almost 100% made from polyester.
I recently read an article which spoke about how dental floss was polluting the rivers and oceans and because it resembles a worm wriggling in the water, the sea/river life are eating it. It doesn`t degrade and because its so fine and light, it regularly escapes being filtered through the sewerage systems and many people are flushing it down the loo after using it. Much of it is plastic coated especially the tape kind and sea life has been found with knots of it in their stomachs. The article said if people stopped flushing it along with other items such as wet wipes and cotton buds then it would prevent many aquatic deaths.
I use bamboo floss, it's as fine as the plastic stuff, not thick like garden poles, & is more effective as well as being kind.

Buy fewer clothes. My friend has a policy of one in, two out, and I'm sticking to that, too. Are Kipling bags as full of the bad stuff, too? Not that I've bought any for years, but I do have one or two. In fact, a lot of what shopping telly companies rely on for profits is full of it - clothes, make-up, accessories, maybe even jewellery? What is diamonique made of? And the packaging in food to make sure it arrives in good order, as well? It's very difficult to avoid all these things.

QVC presenters often defend their polyester clothes as not being made of 'the old polyester.' What's new about it ? Is it mixed with another fiber ? They say the new polyester 'breathes'. Bull honkey ! It makes you smell bad where you have sweat glands. (Everywhere.)
Italy is banning the manufacture of plastic ear cleaners (Q Tips ?) and plastic straws. Nothing said about dental floss, but it's a start.

You know what the Water Companies say. Only the 3 ps should be flushed. Pee,poo and paper (toilet paper). Even flushable wipes don't entirely dissolve.

I think we generally buy too many clothes and polyester has made mass production much easier. I used to be the worlds worse for buying clothes. We used to joke our bedroom was like Debenhams. Now I try and get more classic items I can keep.
I still have more than I can wear.

Latest posts

Back