Porta Jump!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Julius

Registered Shopper
My vehicle is nearly new (2 years old and has done only 7000 miles). I took the precaution of fitting a new battery as I just have a feeling that this winter is going to be particularly cold. I saw this product, Porta Jump, on QVC and wondered if anyone can tell me about it. I'd trust the people on here but I am not so sure about the reviews on the QVC site. The product looks like something called "Start Genie" which I saw in Russia a few months back. The porta jump seems well priced. Do you think I should get one or will my new battery be sufficient? Has anyone used this product? Thanks for any help. Link here:

http://www.qvcuk.com/Porta-Jump-Eme....html?sc=SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-2-_-557909

If your car is only 2 years old that you shouldn't have changed the battery as there is no need to on a battery that new.

As for the Porta Jump it's not something I would recommend - better off just calling your breakdown service out and making sure any jump start is done correctly especially on new cars with all their electronics in. Also as you've just had a new battery put in why would you think it might fail?

My vehicle is nearly new (2 years old and has done only 7000 miles). I took the precaution of fitting a new battery as I just have a feeling that this winter is going to be particularly cold. I saw this product, Porta Jump, on QVC and wondered if anyone can tell me about it. I'd trust the people on here but I am not so sure about the reviews on the QVC site. The product looks like something called "Start Genie" which I saw in Russia a few months back. The porta jump seems well priced. Do you think I should get one or will my new battery be sufficient? Has anyone used this product? Thanks for any help. Link here:

http://www.qvcuk.com/Porta-Jump-Eme....html?sc=SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-2-_-557909

Hi Julius, it seems to look like a jump starter. Not sure having a new battery will need this as it should be fine. However, if your car is usually left out all night, then the cold weather will drain the battery and make it more difficult to turn the engine over. Having said that - as a back up, it gives peace of mind to know if you have a flat battery, you can have a back up ready just in case. I have a heavy duty battery pack and wouldn't be without it! Another tip - get a cheap tyre inflator just in case. Hope this helps! :mysmilie_59:

Julius my car is 15 years old, is left on the drive overnight and has only once had a flat battery in the 8 years I've owned it and that was in midsummer and because it needed a new battery. If you're seriously considering this and worried about your battery, speak to your mechanics.

We have a heavy duty battery pack for emergencies, mainly for the 1970s classic sports car that is a high days and holidays drive. Some of the battery packs only work with cars up to a certain engine size so I'd question if this was the same.

If your car is only 2 years old that you shouldn't have changed the battery as there is no need to on a battery that new.

As for the Porta Jump it's not something I would recommend - better off just calling your breakdown service out and making sure any jump start is done correctly especially on new cars with all their electronics in. Also as you've just had a new battery put in why would you think it might fail?

I just have this horrendous fear of not being able to start my vehicle. I got stuck in East Grinstead once. It was very cold and snowing. I leave my car in the company car park, so although it's covered, it's still quite cold. I already put Bluecol screen wash in to protect that down to -18, and I pH tested the green antifreeze. I also put a Slick 50 engine treatment in it. Sometimes I drive in France and Lithuania (where it gets VERY cold) so have to ensure my vehicle is protected.

Hi Julius, it seems to look like a jump starter. Not sure having a new battery will need this as it should be fine. However, if your car is usually left out all night, then the cold weather will drain the battery and make it more difficult to turn the engine over. Having said that - as a back up, it gives peace of mind to know if you have a flat battery, you can have a back up ready just in case. I have a heavy duty battery pack and wouldn't be without it! Another tip - get a cheap tyre inflator just in case. Hope this helps! :mysmilie_59:

Thanks Dave, very helpful. I think I will get the porta jump. When I've got the money I will be buying a second car (a Daihatsu Copen) as I've always wanted one. If I get the porta jump, both cars will be protected. I'm not so worried about the Audi. In any case I could always call the breakdown people, but I like to be self-sufficient.

Our last car was a 2007 Fiesta and was outside day and night, we live in Yorkshire, and never failed to start first time. So am puzzled by you changing your battery on a 2 year old vehicle.

Our last car was a 2007 Fiesta and was outside day and night, we live in Yorkshire, and never failed to start first time. So am puzzled by you changing your battery on a 2 year old vehicle.

I was thinking of driving to Lithuania at Christmas time. Over there people tend to change battery every 2-3 years because it is so much colder. Thinking about it I might just fly out and hire a car over there. I haven't decided yet. I do quite like long trips.

Latest posts

Back