Prestigio TSV - The Fix.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Moth

Registered Shopper
Pardon me for starting a second thread, but I thought it important that those who bought the TSV see this :)

There's a new firmware version 1.0.2 available on OTA download that fixes the issues with the tablet - I now have BBC iPlayer working, QVC UK app installed (but possibly broken?) and Google Play now shows prices in GBP.

Quick walkthrough of the procedure for those who aren't sure:

NOTE: Doing this will completely reset your tablet to "out of the box" condition so copy off any data you want to keep first!

When you're ready, go to the homescreen and press the grid of squares in the top right corner to open the installed apps screen. Look for and tap on OTA Update. When it loads, turn it on (if not already) and then tap the Check Now button. You should get a notice to say that FW version 1.0.2 is available. If so, select download. (You may have to download and install FW v1.0.1 first, I'm not sure.)

Wait. Wait. Wait some more. Seriously, the download is really slow. I guess the update server is based in deepest, coldest Siberia, or somewhere. I found it helped to periodically stop the download and then restart it. Either way, allow 2 to 3 hours in total!

Pro tip - if you go into settings > Developer options, there is a check box called "Stay awake". This stops the tablet going to sleep when you have it plugged into the the mains charger. Leave the tablet plugged in for the download and you won't have to keep waking it up to check.

Once it downloads, it'll ask you to confirm the install and then ask you to reboot. The reboot takes a couple of minutes. You'll see a couple of different screens but the main one is a picture of the Android robot and a progress bar. Once that completes, you'll see the Prestigio boot screens. After that, the tablet will run the initialisation wizard that asks you to set up the basics. After that, you should find the homescreen again as it looked when you first turned it on.

Now run the Google play store, log in your Google account etc. and you should find that the UK specific apps are visible and will work now. Prices should be in £.

A couple of points to note though - I prefer using Chrome as my browser, but I found that BBC iPlayer won't work with it. Make sure you use the default browser instead.

And the QVC app - I don't know what it should look like or do, but all I can see is the TSV. Literally. There is nothing else on screen - no search options or anything, so I suspect that could be broken?

Anyway, I hope that helps :) This is great tablet and it would be a shame to have it let own by a couple of minor bugs, so hopefully this update fixes them. It's an irritation having to reinstall apps and so on, but that shouldn't take too long.

If it took several hours on your line, it could take all day on mine as my broadband is so slow. It could possibly use up my 10GB monthly limit and cost me an extra £5 too.

I am getting very close to cancelling it.

25 reviews so far, most bad. Some say it keeps freezing, which is why I sent the last one back.

Please keep us updated with your opinions, thanks.

If you look at the reviews one person said he adjusted something on the settings and that corrected it.
"I went to 'Settings' - 'Developer options' - and I removed the tick from the box where it says 'Allow mock locations'. After doing that, I've been able to download bbc iplayer and mediaplayer, google play is in pounds, and the maps now recognise my location too. All now seems fine.
Very happy with my purchase." However, I am concerned about he sound, the weight and the Zinio offer, which I think is a Prestigio offer not QVC. I don't think they negotiated the price too keenly and I don't think they checked their product very closely at all with people having so many issues. Not showing many honest business principles I think.

If it took several hours on your line, it could take all day on mine as my broadband is so slow. It could possibly use up my 10GB monthly limit and cost me an extra £5 too.

I am getting very close to cancelling it.

25 reviews so far, most bad. Some say it keeps freezing, which is why I sent the last one back.

Please keep us updated with your opinions, thanks.

Don't worry about the downloads - each update is only 236Mb, they just take ages to receive. As for freezing, it's only happened to me once so far but this new update also promises "improve stability".

Not allowed to quote AGAIN, just get zapped to a Deal Channel advert GRRRR

Quoting BB by cut and paste - - - - >

The tablet doesn't exist that's going to do what you want Strato. Life is full of compromises.

I'll let you have the last word about this subject, otherwise it could go on for ever.

I don't want the last word, first word or any other word Strato. I didn't quote you, or address my initial comment at you, but every time I promote the iPad you jump in to point out its deficiencies. I don't care what tablet you buy, I was making the point that apple products tend to work out of the box.

I agree, they do everything they do brilliantly, and I almost bought one on the Apple bargain day. But they don't have some of the facilities on my checklist.

I am wondering whether the new batch of Prestigio tablets that are on advance order will have the updates to make them work in the UK already installed by Prestigio so they don't send out "not fit for purpose" tablets.

Im very much doubt they will as the "new batch" will mainly be returns, Also how come the tablets they had in the studio on the TSV day already had the fix? surely they didnt just get a lucky one .

I've rung CS and tried to delay the advance order being shipped until I find out if the AO ones will be shipped with the bug fixed, but they said they couldn't do this.

Advance orders were supposed to be shipped on 10th December, but my account shows it as still "awaiting stock".

I keep getting on the verge of cancelling it, but the reviews are SO mixed, from useless to fantastic, very confusing.

I'VE CANCELLED IT!

I sent the following email. The final straw was another week's delay for despatch.

In view of the large number of dreadful reviews about the Prestigio 8-inch tablet TSV, I would like to cancel my advance order.

I would also like you to convey to senior management my disgust that what I thought was a reputable company (QVC) would sell an item that was clearly NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE as it would not work in the UK; this was admitted by QVC after a large number of complaints.

Two software updates have subsequently been produced, but apparently they take several hours each to download, and they often stop halfway through.

Also, from reviews on your website and your Facebook page, it appears that the "free £50 of magazine subscriptions" given as "added value" are for USA magazines only; this was not mentioned in any of your presentations.

Futhermore, I've just been told that the promised despatch date of 10th December has now been put back until 17th December. This would be far too late for me to get it in time for Xmas, check that it works, download the updates, then post it to someone as an Xmas gift.

PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF THIS EMAIL. I would also appreciate a reply from senior management about this situation.

Last edited:
I see that they are now selling the Prestigio tablet and stating you MUST download OTA update for it to work correctly, what a pity we were not told that in the first place, l ordered 1,that had a broken pixel, returned it and the replacement they sent me started the download and then froze until the charge ran out, l could not turn the tablet off and it was red hot until charge fully discharged, when l then charged and turned it on the screen froze at first screen, l rung technical help and they told me to stick a pin in the bottom to reset it, l said no l have had enough and should not have to do all this for a new purchase, that too was returned, still awaiting refund, not amused at this very shoddy TSV and the way 2 weeks later QVC tell you about downloading OTA to make it work right. Shambles.

Latest posts

Back