Q Psychology

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

When I first found Q I bought like a mad woman and if I'm totally honest I loved a high percentage of it. However it all became the same old same old with the only things changing being the increase in prices in direct proportion to the decrease in customer services. As I purchased very very little beauty items my purchases never needed replenishing so about 2 years ago I stopped buying on a regular basis but I do have a bit of a binge now and then.

However I am exactly the opposite to most in that I seem to be enticed to buy more in actual shops even though I do not need any of it!

I am relatively lucky that Mr L and I are both on a full salary at present but we intend to retire very soon and I am desperately trying to retrain myself to keep that flexible friend firmly in my pocket as our income will be drastically reduced.

I have just bought a Down coat from Landsend & decided to try a smaller size, rang them last Thurs. & they sent it out I put it on my credit card.Coat 2 arrived yesterday ( Monday) & I decided which one to keep--I add the smaller!! & returned the other £2:70 with Hermes.That will be refunded & bet it won't be long before my credit comes onto my card for Coat 1. Now what would Q do if you wanted to try another size? That would be another order with P&P and P&P to return one.That could be around £12+ - Silver Fox

Ooh, which coat did you get, sf? I've got a few of their tops and 3 of their coats, including the long Chalet down (under £100 on a sale) which is just like wearing a duvet. I love their stuff and have bought loads from them. Their service is excellent, the quality first class and you can't beat their prices - a win-win situation. I'm looking forward to seeing these 2 other coats when they arrive.

Thatu---my coat is the Chalet Down Parka in colour Ashwood which is a nice creamy beige, darker than it looked in the catalogue.I bought it in the anticipation that we are heading for a cold winter and the thing about these Lands' End parkas is that they are graded according to the temperature levels.Many quilted style coats look warm but as the filling is not down/ feather they are not.It cost £105 with 25% off.Am a real Lands End fan I have garments which have gone on & on for years.

So today a spare hour available. Able to wander past the lovely stock on display in John Lewis, L'Occitane, Molton Brown, Radley, to name a few. I was not tempted to buy a single candle, handbag, cleanser, lipstick, slow cooker or blender. So what is different about Q that makes me watch a ninja presentation and think oooh I could do with that. Or buy 3 Yankee Candles and piles of make up and skincare when I always use/apply the same old favourites. I don't need Gingerbread maple or Bundle Up. I burn Christmas Eve every year and the same candle lasts me years. Going shopping alone without kids really makes me think how QVC gets me to buy stuff I would walk past without even noticing in stores.

In John Lewis you are in their premises under harsh lighting with people bustling about you. At home you are more relaxed in your personal space. The television is on and you are taking in more info into your subconscious mind. Your mind is not so concerned with safety, navigating, queues, credit cards, parking etc.

In John Lewis you are in their premises under harsh lighting with people bustling about you. At home you are more relaxed in your personal space. The television is on and you are taking in more info into your subconscious mind. Your mind is not so concerned with safety, navigating, queues, credit cards, parking etc.

You are right. I loathe shopping. Especially with the kids. I only buy anything at the "real" shops when I know what I want in advance. I am in and out of the shops in a few minutes. I never browse, never use changing rooms and hate it when a sales assistant asks if I need any help. The only exception is in an outlet place like Gloucester Quays- but even then I don't browse alone. I wander aimlessly in shops when I am by myself-like a spare part! I tend to visit with my mum for the day.

So when I am home (I adore being at home) I happily browse the likes of Amazon and QVC looking for the products I like. I rarely watch any QVC shows- with the exception of Yankee Candles and Ninja as I love those shows. I watch the occasional beauty show-enough to know what brands I want to buy. It's this forum that gives me the most information about brands I am interested in, though.

So maybe it's not Q psychology at all. It's just my own issue. My psychology. Does anyone love BOTH real shopping and Q/online? or do we tend to be one or the other when it comes to shopping?

You are right. I loathe shopping. Especially with the kids. I only buy anything at the "real" shops when I know what I want in advance. I am in and out of the shops in a few minutes. I never browse, never use changing rooms and hate it when a sales assistant asks if I need any help. The only exception is in an outlet place like Gloucester Quays- but even then I don't browse alone. I wander aimlessly in shops when I am by myself-like a spare part! I tend to visit with my mum for the day.

So when I am home (I adore being at home) I happily browse the likes of Amazon and QVC looking for the products I like. I rarely watch any QVC shows- with the exception of Yankee Candles and Ninja as I love those shows. I watch the occasional beauty show-enough to know what brands I want to buy. It's this forum that gives me the most information about brands I am interested in, though.

Yes, store shopping is stressful. I like wandering around Selfridges in Oxford Street when I have some spare time. It's fun to look at all those luxurious things and get loads of free samples but I don't like the hustle and bustle. Sometimes I have QVC on just because I find it amusing / relaxing and I know that nothing particularly shocking or nasty (bar Jill Franks' fringe and lies) will be shown. Recently I saw the demo for the Showroom Shine waterless car cleaner and I bought it after discussing it with people on here. I'm not generally an ignorant person but I'd never heard of waterless car cleaners before and I'd just bought my new Audi A1 and was looking for some products to help keep it pristine. I really appreciated the Q demo and the people on this forum for all the insight, assistance and information they provided.

There are 64 million people in Britain (circa 2013) so there will be an end when QVC will not be able to get more customers than this number. I believe that this number should be divided in four (an average family of four). Okay, some people buy from Spain, France, Italy and Germany but they now have their own QVC channels.

We have the fastest-growing population in the EU, and the prediction is we will become the most populous country in the EU. QVC and other retailers will be rubbing their hands in glee.

Latest posts

Back