QVC presenters idea of "value"

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

This has always made me laugh! Good value my ar$e!!! I'm sorry but the only place you'd pay around the £30-£40 mark for a t-shirt would be in one of those little boutiques you find when you're holidaying in a quaint little village somewhere, where many of the locals are elderly and extremely rich, and don't need,( or want) for that matter to travel to the nearest town to find something cheaper. I know you can pay ridiculous prices for designer names, and whilst QVC will have you believe that Quacker Factory and Michele Hope are up there with Dolce & Gabana and Giorgio Armani - We're all fully aware that they're no more a name than Bon Marche or Peacocks, and that far better quality clothing can be purchased in Marks and Sparks at a fraction of the price too!

And I bet Karl Lagerfed is itching to put down his fan and pick up the tooter.

Value would be eating half of a meat mega pack (a bargain at £79 & £25 P&P) and then sending it back under your 30day money back guarantee......

Has anyone ever sent half eaten food back?? I often wondered what they would do when you bought Thorton's icecream and decided to send it back....

I was surprised at the L'Occitance TSV launch when AY was going on about the value of the TSV and said last time someone had bought ten to give to their staff at xmas!

Yeah and don't forget to get one for your literal postman, roadsweeper, lollipop lady, parking meter attendant, friendly community constable..... must remember them on my gift list for next year!

:up:
This has always made me laugh! Good value my ar$e!!! I'm sorry but the only place you'd pay around the £30-£40 mark for a t-shirt would be in one of those little boutiques you find when you're holidaying in a quaint little village somewhere, where many of the locals are elderly and extremely rich, and don't need,( or want) for that matter to travel to the nearest town to find something cheaper. I know you can pay ridiculous prices for designer names, and whilst QVC will have you believe that Quacker Factory and Michele Hope are up there with Dolce & Gabana and Giorgio Armani - We're all fully aware that they're no more a name than Bon Marche or Peacocks, and that far better quality clothing can be purchased in Marks and Sparks at a fraction of the price too!

This is a great thread.:up: I am unemployed, not claiming and luckily for me still live at home. I don't have a disposable income and try to sell things on eBay to make ends meet when I need to buy something new.

QVC's fashion is normally a mix of cheap fabrics and they hike the prices up no end, I remember years back when I went to a party and managed to find a sparkly long sleeved cardi type top in International for about £12. I only wore it a few times but loved it all the same.

You can always find nice things in the cheaper end of the market in my opinion that is often made from the same material as QVC's fashion.

I do treat myself every once in a while, I'm not one who shops every week or month but when I do purchase something I will normally limit myself on what I spend and always buy from the highstreet or independant shops in my area. I remember back in July buying a Sonia Rykiel cardigan originally priced at £265 reduced to £62, now that was worth the money to me. I do have a budget I stick to for items e.g £40 for handbags normally Cath K or Earth Squared etc... The only thing I have purchased since this date fashion wise is an Emma Bridgewater tote for £15 and some candles which don't count as they are less than £5.

Great thread!!:up::up::up::up::up:

Great thread. You only have to look at some of the clothing worn by the lady presenters to see that they do not shop at supermarkets or M&S. JF is one of the worst. you never see her in the same thing twice. Personally I don't think you can beat M&S. I have jumpers, trousers, underwear that goes back years & years. been washed loads of times & still look good. Ethel Austin sounds great but have never seen her in my neck of the woods.

I run a business with my husband & we are feeling the pinch. Luckily we have wardrobes full of clothes, coats , shoes that will last us for a very long time. In the past I have brought beauty stuff from QVC & have a shed load of it. We now concentrate on the necessaries like paying mortgage, bills, & food.

I can no longer buy for the sake of it just because I like it. I have cut down drastically in what I buy from them. Yes I did go for the Ronnie Nicole TSV the other week but its going back mainly because the sizing is pathetic.

When this recession first hit a few years back I felt that QVC was being sympathetic to what was going on with their pricing. The novelty has now worn thin & I don't think they give a dam. Their P&P is exhorbitant & they must make a bomb out of it. They dangle carrots at us every so often by appearing generous in giving us free P&P.

Its all smoke & mirrors.

Last edited:
Just yesterday, we bought a bridesmaids dress in Debenhams sale for my daughter's youngest (9 years) attendant at her wedding in June. It's exquisite and set us back just £35 down from £62:rock: Now that IS a bargain:rock:

lets not leave out George at Asda either, just got a friend's litle girl the cutest dress and leggings set for a tenner. imagine if QVC did kids' clothes.......they would never get the sizing right and would be exhorting us to buy stuff sized for a 10 year old for a 2 year old as they would grow into it. Plus they would be about 5 years behind what is in fashion.

lets not leave out George at Asda either, just got a friend's litle girl the cutest dress and leggings set for a tenner. imagine if QVC did kids' clothes.......they would never get the sizing right and would be exhorting us to buy stuff sized for a 10 year old for a 2 year old as they would grow into it. Plus they would be about 5 years behind what is in fashion.

For heaven's sake SS, don't give 'em any ideas...I can just see it now. Quacker for kids (though isn't it anyway?) Kim and co slinky..so stretchy you'll only have to buy it every few years 'cause it'll fit a five year old up to an 8 year old. Michele Hope prom dresses for young girls....mmm your daughter will be the "Belle of the ball" in her polyester gown and sequined shawl. Indigo Moon school coat....definitely won't get lost (unless it's deliberate!) lol!

Great thread. They have lost all sense of reality when it comes to good value. If i get tempted I now always visualise being in a shop and spending that amount on the item

I visualise being in Boots with 7 bottles of bubble bath and the assistant saying that'll be £52 please. Or In M&S and the bill for a T shirt comes to over £20 etc.

It's saved me a lot and stops me impulse buying.

I'd have to agree with GEORGE, I have several really nice jumpers and cardigans from them that were all around 12£ and look really nice. And I can try things on and not be subjected to crazy sizing where I have to guess which of 3 different sizes I might be today. I've never bought clothing from QVC but most mail order 'fashion' is the same in that regards. :(

Great thread. They have lost all sense of reality when it comes to good value. If i get tempted I now always visualise being in a shop and spending that amount on the item

I visualise being in Boots with 7 bottles of bubble bath and the assistant saying that'll be £52 please. Or In M&S and the bill for a T shirt comes to over £20 etc.

That is such a good point LE lover....You just wouldn't would you? Common sense would click in and would stop you in your tracks! That's what the shopping channels play on, mmming and ahhing about the smell, the packaging, the giftablility etc etc, make you think that the stock's running out fast, grab it whilst you can, and before you know it, your credit card is on your computer table, and you're tapping in the numbers at speed of light! See the same thing in a shop, and you'd say to yourself, it's lovely but I CAN'T spend £8 on a bubble bath let alone buy another 5 or 6 to give to family and friends.

That is such a good point LE lover....You just wouldn't would you? Common sense would click in and would stop you in your tracks! That's what the shopping channels play on, mmming and ahhing about the smell, the packaging, the giftablility etc etc, make you think that the stock's running out fast, grab it whilst you can, and before you know it, your credit card is on your computer table, and you're tapping in the numbers at speed of light! See the same thing in a shop, and you'd say to yourself, it's lovely but I CAN'T spend £8 on a bubble bath let alone buy another 5 or 6 to give to family and friends.

It's also the "can't live if I've only got half a bottle of this and that left" - it's not like we live in the North Pole. I personally hate being surrounded by stocks of anything, to me they are devalued, the same way I hate an overstocked fridge as it makes me anxious. Half bottles of anything can and do last a long time and the more you have can make you more lavish and wasteful.

Great thread. You only have to look at some of the clothing worn by the lady presenters to see that they do not shop at supermarkets or M&S. JF is one of the worst. you never see her in the same thing twice. Personally I don't think you can beat M&S. I have jumpers, trousers, underwear that goes back years & years. been washed loads of times & still look good. Ethel Austin sounds great but have never seen her in my neck of the woods.

I run a business with my husband & we are feeling the pinch. Luckily we have wardrobes full of clothes, coats , shoes that will last us for a very long time. In the past I have brought beauty stuff from QVC & have a shed load of it. We now concentrate on the necessaries like paying mortgage, bills, & food.

I can no longer buy for the sake of it just because I like it. I have cut down drastically in what I buy from them. Yes I did go for the Ronnie Nicole TSV the other week but its going back mainly because the sizing is pathetic.

When this recession first hit a few years back I felt that QVC was being sympathetic to what was going on with their pricing. The novelty has now worn thin & I don't think they give a dam. Their P&P is exhorbitant & they must make a bomb out of it. They dangle carrots at us every so often by appearing generous in giving us free P&P.

Its all smoke & mirrors.

Completely agree. I used to buy tonnes of beauty things from them. I resisted purchasing the L'occitane TSV because I will never go back to spending around £50 on bath products again. I much prefer to buy smellies that I really like the fragrances of and can buy in person to make sure.

Great thread. They have lost all sense of reality when it comes to good value. If i get tempted I now always visualise being in a shop and spending that amount on the item I visualise being in Boots with 7 bottles of bubble bath and the assistant saying that'll be £52 please. Or In M&S and the bill for a T shirt comes to over £20 etc.

I do this too. It does make you think if I were in a shop would I spend that on bath stuff or am I willing to pay £40 for a top. What I also love about Boots is there points system. The only thing I splurge on is my make-up and I always buy it from Boots, a Chanel lipstick and Benefit Posietint lasts a year so the cost per wear makes it cheaper. I tend to look for cheaper options on foundation as you tend to go through them quicker than anything else as soon as I find a dupe for the Laura Geller real deal foundation stick I'll be happy.

I buy most of my beauty things from Boots as I can build my points up and treat myself to a fragrance that is normally too expensive or use the points to purchase things for family presents.

I have also gone back to basics with my skincare, as I don't use eye make-up anymore I tend to use soap (Dove) and buy it from CostCo so that saves a fair bit and I buy my SBC propolis gel from eBay.

QVC seems to forget to cater for everyone, not everyone wants to spend £20 on a cleanser or £50 on a moisturiser. I find the skincare these days is catered for more 30+ age group. If you buy all the make-up you need from QVC foundation, powder, eyeshadow, liner, mascara, blusher, bronzer, lipstick and or gloss you will be spending about £150+ you could achieve the same look for a lot less on the highstreet from either Boots or Superdrug.

Rant over.

It's also the "can't live if I've only got half a bottle of this and that left" - it's not like we live in the North Pole. I personally hate being surrounded by stocks of anything, to me they are devalued, the same way I hate an overstocked fridge as it makes me anxious. Half bottles of anything can and do last a long time and the more you have can make you more lavish and wasteful.

I agree if you have too much you sometimes forget what you have and buy more and then you find something that has been used a little but smells funny because its been there a while. I tend not to get bored with bath products, I don't need 3 fragrances on the go at once. I get a feeling of pleasure when I finish something now because I have wasted anything and I feel I have gotten my monies worth.

I received a lovely Nougat set for my Birthday and although I like it I wouldn't rush out and buy another. I have kept the lovely glass bottle the bubble bath came in peeled the label off and I now use it to put my cheap bubble bath in, its not that I'm ashamed to have a £1 bubble bath bottle on the side of the bath its just I like the bottle.

Does anyone else though like the "excitment" of placing an order and waiting for the parcel to arrive? Think that's a lot of my problem. I rarely shop in Boots tbh as I find shopping for cosmetics and beauty products rather boring. I tend to buy my shampoos, hand creams, make up removers etc when I'm in doing the supermarket shop (AY would be bristling in horror at that notion!) but see a demo of skincare, make up etc hearing all the "testimonials"..I think yep, I'll have some of that, and I won't have to traipse through the minefield that is department store beauty counters, buying one poxy little thing cause it's so expensive. Do it on tv, and somehow it seems painless. I've got loads of make up from the shopping channels, none if it fantastic, but it does a job! Did get sucked in by Susan Lucci's youthful esssence...and it is really really good stuff!

I don't think the presenters believe a great deal of what they say. After all, they can see the products close up in a way we can't unless we purchase them. Their gushing about 'value' etc is surely just sales pitch. I never see them wearing the QVC clothes except when they are selling them. I don't suppose for one minute they buy the stuff. More fool any of us who believe half the things they say, yet alone believe that they believe it themselves - though it's easy to get sucked in.

For example. The Diane Gilman tat that is being shown now at extortinate prices. The material on some of the tops being shown looks this & not of particulalry good quality IMO. Few years back I would probably have brought one. Not so easliy sucked in now.

Sainsburys which is 2 minutes in the car for me have some very nice stuff in at the moment. Similar tops for around £8-£15.

I used to enjoy the parcels arriving but when they arrived and the colours were wrong or too dark (as I am really fair) it meant I had to return them and lose £8-£12 in total for p+p.

I usually go to boots every 3 months as a specific trip other times I buy my essentials that I need when I do the weekly shop. I know that QVC states there service is convenient but I hate waiting for things to arrive when I can gointo a shop and have it there and then and know its the correct shade.

The things I tend to buy over the internet now is books or things from Etsy.

I used to buy alot from qvc, always within my means but enough that i had a little bit of stockpiling.

Since reading this forum I have started rethinking and normally its exactly the line said before..."would I spend £50 in Boots on that". Not that I used to spend that much there but I've actually come to appreciate the place again as the prices are good and theres no P&P.

I am still happy to buy my favourites....Molton Brown and Decleor as the latter is worth it as it makes my skin really clear. However, I realise lots of the TSV's I don't need as I already have say lots of nail varnishes or more like all that I need. When there are nail TSV's, all it does now is make me get out what I have already and I play with that.

I passed the L'Occitane TSV too- in the world of L'Occitane it was good value but as its been said can't be bothered to spend £50 on shower gel and I still have MB to use up. Also other internet sites would give free P&P and they also can source 'value packs'

I passed the L'Occitane TSV too- in the world of L'Occitane it was good value but as its been said can't be bothered to spend £50 on shower gel and I still have MB to use up. Also other internet sites would give free P&P and they also can source 'value packs'

(i speak as someone who did buy the TSV)

Yes it is good value but only when compared to their shop prices, and not when compared to the whole market!

I am still debating whether I should have got the TSV. I can afford it - that is not the issue. The issue is that a few years ago I would have been paying £1 a go for shower gel, it would last as long as the expensive stuff, and would not irritate my skin. I have been re-programmed into thinking that I need the expensive stuff. And you are right - when it comes i will feel excited that i have got a big parcel to unwrap. Even the delivery man (who i know gets paid a pittance) says 'oh another one from QVC for you'. The cost of the TSV is probably his family's whole weekly shop.

Latest posts

Back