QVC's rose gold

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

AllThatGlitters

Registered Shopper
I'm just about to return a morganite ring, because although the stone is very pretty, the rose gold looks cheap and tacky. I should have learned my lesson - this is the third morganite piece I've returned because of the rose gold. QVC used to sell morganite in yellow gold, but at one point they seemed to decide that it only looked right with pink gold.

My question is - is rose gold really meant to look so coppery? In jewellery shops, I've seen expensive pieces in gold that's just nicely warmer than yellow gold, and this is described as 'rose gold'. The QVC version looks like pure copper to me, which I find quite unappealing. Does it age into something less garishly pink, if you hang onto the piece? Or is QVC just using some specially cheap recipe for 9ct rose gold?

If you've seen "expensive" pieces in rose gold, then (presumably) they're a higher carat weight than 9ct: they'll therefore contain more gold, and less of the other metals (like copper) to strengthen it.

The more gold in the ring, the less coppery it will be. 9ct rose gold will have less gold and more of the other metals. Presumably more copper, too.

That might explain the difference in colour/tone.

I think generally their gold /silver jewellery isn`t as good as when I first started to buy from QVC which is aprox. about 8 years ago

I love rose gold and have quite a few pieces. Most are from elsewhere but I do have a few pieces from QVC. All the QVC pieces are 9ct and the colour varies quite dramatically. But I think regardless of where you buy it and what carat weight rose gold varies in colour much more than yellow.

My engagement ring is 18ct rose gold and morganite with wee diamonds around the oval central stone and it's a beautiful combination. I personally feel that morganite belongs in rose gold but it's a personal choice.

I have some antique rose gold pieces in 9ct and they're quite a soft coppery colour and others are more pink.

The key thing though is if you don't like it then it's not right for you.

Also be aware that 9ct modern rose gold can tarnish because of the high silver content. I've never had that with antique pieces. A quick once over with s cleaning cloth deals with it though and it doesn't tarnish anywhere nearly as quick as silver.

Tinkerbelle your ring sounds totally gorgeous.

I have a pair of emerald earrings bought as a teenager,I paid them off by the week. I thought the gold was dirty and only years later found out well actually they are rose gold!!!:tongue: Yes I used to clean them and wonder why the gold had a pink tone.

I also agree about the quality of gold and silver too not as good as years gone by. I have a few diamonique pieces in white gold from last century, never tarnished or had the yellow come through.

Great thread! Hooded Claw is absolutely right. I have an 18 ct rose gold ring which has only a soft pinkish hue. If I wear it with 9ct yellow gold it matches quite well especially if the 9ct is an older piece. 18 ct yellow gold can be far too garishly yellow, but my grandmothers 18 ct gold engagement ring which she gave to me is a much softer, paler, buttery colour. So I conclude the colour and probably the content of the mix is far superior in older pieces.

On a slight tangent I HATE what QVC (and other jewellers to be fair) do to rings, even silver ones...hollowing out the metal inside the band to skimp on materials. A pet hate, I only wear old rings now or rings that are new but solid and not hollowed out. I scrapped the rest (much from QVC) and made quite a bit back. I know it's to keep cost down, but I would rather save and have quality, or wear my grandma's vintage stuff. Have you noticed how qVC show the rings on TV so you can't tell that the metal is hollowed out until you get it home. In the late 90's when I got my first eek ring, it was solid 14 ct gold and cost 55 quid for a 1.5 "carat" solitaire. Now you would get a hollowed out ring for double or triple that if you could get gold at all!

kat - how can you tell it's hollowed out? sorry if i'm asking the obvious.

I don't mean hollow like a tube with air inside, I mean solid but very thin on the inside "shoulders" of the ring as if someone had "scooped" it out like an ice cream scoop would leave a dent in a tub of ice cream, or a knife in a new tub of butter. The texture of the metal inside the scooped bit can sometimes appear bumpy. Compare this with an older or more expensive ring where the thickness of the metal is the same with no scooping in sight!

I bought an apatite ring from QVC long ago in has one small stone and two tiny diamonds on each side of that. Cost I think £63 or something like that. I was actually shocked as the gold band was thick and totally solid!!! I believe that was a first for me from QVC.

I did query this scoooping out with CS back in the days when you could buy a decent 9ct gold ring for under £100 - needless to say they didn't bother to reply.

As for always putting Morganite with rose gold, is that to bring out the pinkness of the stone, which would otherwise look washed out ? I dont remember the "rose de france" pale amithyst being treated similarly; AND whatever happened to pink sapphires ? dont see any of those anymore.

I hate hollowed out rings as well.

I have a wide rose gold plain band from QVC, it looked great on screen but the 9ct gold is paper thin (and dents very easily) and uncomfortable to wear at it rests on the finger on two sharp edges.

I think I know the one you mean Strattobuddy, I bought that myself, and remember the shock at seeing it wasn't solid when it was delivered - it went straight back. Careful presentation on screen did not reveal how thin it was, so was truly suckered in !

Brissles, Sapphires of decent quality including pink ones cost a lot of money these days and qvc don't sell certified diamonds, or real, traditional precious stones any more. There are lots of the cheaper semi precious stones set in (scooped 9ct or silver but IMO the only decent stone they sell is the AA Tanzanite or above. I'm not saying that some of the other stuff isn't nice (I have a lovely pair or moonstone and tanzanite earrings from Q,) just that much of it is so overpriced for what it is.

I know about the sapphire thing as I recently had to select a stone to replace the one originally in my grandmothers engagement ring. Don't ask me how the hell she managed it when sapphires are second in hardness only to diamonds, but she managed to knock a chunk off it. It's a largish oval sapphire with a diamond each side in solid 18 ct gold. I looked at 3 stones that were similar save for the shade of blue but the price ranged from 600- 1300 quid just for the sapphire. Suffice to say I had to flog a watch an ex had given me to pay for it. I never wore the watch but I wear my grandmothers ring every day.

I love rose gold - I much prefer it over the yellow gold now (which I rarely rarely wear now)

I have a clogau ring and it gets more pink and coppery with age - love it!!!

I also had some rose gold huggie bold hoops but they've disappeared,have turned my house upside down looking for them :sad:

Like someone has already said if its not for you,then its not for you.Most people know immediately whether they like a piece of jewellery or not

I think jewellery is all down to personal choice.I wouldn't even jewellery for someone as a present,as its so personal.

Thanks for that Kat73. Makes me wonder if all the jewellery purchased from Q in their jewellery 'heyday' is now worth a small fortune, if for the gems only. I have coloured sapphires and aquamarines, you've got me thinking now.

Latest posts

Back