Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Some of the B Team were given prime time though, for example, that joke DIY hour you had at 9pm one night with that Hayley Sparkes
And Mason got the much more desirable men’s fashion show directly after when he was the ideal choice for the DIY one. I wonder why?

Three Ideal World worlds..The First - the presenters (the higher profile ones), and the elite positions at the very top, The Second - the senior production staff, and more junior presenters. Then, The Third World of people like junior studio staff, call centre workers, and warehouse employees.

You don't get to live where Ryan does, and in that type of property on £10 an hour in customer services. Nor (from the creditor lists) the addresses for people like Mason and Simon etc. Living in very decent drums, and clearly on excellent money from shopping television work over many years of doing it.

Personally, I wouldn't shed any tears for the majority of those top tier Ideal World presenters. Some of the 'B' Team ones like that Jess girl, the real out of work actress now, and others like Tim, the fitness guy, may well be hit hard financially from the lost work, as I suspect there was very much that elite bunch there who picked their own shows and were probably on at least a grand a show plus with the others earning much less. With those more junior ones, getting more of the crap goods shows at the non-peak times.

I do believe the shopping television presenter gravy train is coming to an end. Probably explaining why those lucky enough to present at QVC hang on to their jobs like grim death. As has been mentioned previously, this style of shopping is designed to appeal to people who functioned prior to the Internet becoming a commercial entity. Customers (women in the main, aged somewhere between 50 and 70) who like to take their time when shopping. How many 20 to 40 somethings buy via this type of retailing? Low, low numbers I believe. Its style essentially offering everything they don't want from a shopping experience. QVC and even Ideal World are trying and tried to get younger presenters in to freshen the mood, but then those same people are and were being used to sell items designed to appeal to the middle aged and older customer that the passing time will eventually eradicate as living buyers...

The over excited teen isn't out of work though, she's still connected to Proskins, plus her hubby is a sales/accounts manager at Proskins and has recently started up a golf apparel business, so she'll be okay in the money stakes. ;)

Years ago I saw a Bid TV recruitment ad for a presenter that listed the starting salary as being £18k, assuming this was normal within the industry for a newcomer 20 years ago. Although salaries may have remained fairly static for several years I'm guessing nowadays that the starting salary would now be more in the region of £40-45k with recognisable names such as Peter Simon commanding £100k+.

I think one of the things that used to amuse & enrage me in equal measures, was that well known speech you'll all be familiar with, along the lines of 'you're all safe shopping with us on TV because we're governed by the ASA and not allowed to lie' etc etc.....they all said it but Becque, Mason & Simon were probably the biggest culprits. Then after uttering these 'reassuring' monologues to their agog audience, they then went on to sell you a generic cheap crap Chinese watch with a 'world famous brand logo' stuck on the face, whilst eulogising about it being ;hand assembled by craftsmen after the wonderful *******(fill in your own name design team) had slaved over it.....How did they ever get away with it for so long?.....I miss the nightly bedtime fairy stories' they told us!.....

What ads are you getting at top & bottom of these shoppingtelly forum pages?

I haven't blocked cookies so I mainly get the recent sites I visited... So lots of items from TJC I've looked at, watches & jewellery! 😀

And if not that then TEMU ads, another Chinese-sourcing company.

People are reporting on an Idea World Facebook page that they are receiving their orders. One customer ordered a bag on the day Ideal World closed and she got it a few days ago.

I think one of the things that used to amuse & enrage me in equal measures, was that well known speech you'll all be familiar with, along the lines of 'you're all safe shopping with us on TV because we're governed by the ASA and not allowed to lie' etc etc.....they all said it but Becque, Mason & Simon were probably the biggest culprits. Then after uttering these 'reassuring' monologues to their agog audience, they then went on to sell you a generic cheap crap Chinese watch with a 'world famous brand logo' stuck on the face, whilst eulogising about it being ;hand assembled by craftsmen after the wonderful *******(fill in your own name design team) had slaved over it.....How did they ever get away with it for so long?.....I miss the nightly bedtime fairy stories' they told us!.....

One of the watch brands i complained to ASA about was CCCP watches, one of the nights they were on they had Bordell starting the show wittering on about CCCP being a great Russian watchmaker and the first watch, CCCP Gorky had an authentic Slava Movement in it and Peter Simon going overboard about the case and bracelet which showed how great Russian engineering was, etc etc, the show continued in a similar vein. As we know all that was a load of bullshit.

Complained to ASA, who upheld my complaint and said IW had stated they will give training to staff and it won't happen again, so no need to lauch a formal investigation into IW (which is a stock answer i got in all my complaints to ASA).

Yet they were still spouting bullshit on every CCCP show since, the only thing that's managed to stop misleading CCCP shows is the war in Ukraine and IW stopped selling them.

The answer to your question is ASA failed, they handed out a slap on the wrist instead of doing their job properly and launching a proper investigation.

People are reporting on an Idea World Facebook page that they are receiving their orders. One customer ordered a bag on the day Ideal World closed and she got it a few days ago.

Yeah, I said in a previous post, but was unsure where, that i read somewhere that, between the channel going off and the meeting to announce that staff were being made redundant, there was a skeleton staff working. Maybe they were just in processing some of the last orders to come in.

One of the watch brands i complained to ASA about was CCCP watches, one of the nights they were on they had Bordell starting the show wittering on about CCCP being a great Russian watchmaker and the first watch, CCCP Gorky had an authentic Slava Movement in it and Peter Simon going overboard about the case and bracelet which showed how great Russian engineering was, etc etc, the show continued in a similar vein. As we know all that was a load of bullshit.

Complained to ASA, who upheld my complaint and said IW had stated they will give training to staff and it won't happen again, so no need to lauch a formal investigation into IW (which is a stock answer i got in all my complaints to ASA).

Yet they were still spouting bullshit on every CCCP show since, the only thing that's managed to stop misleading CCCP shows is the war in Ukraine and IW stopped selling them.

The answer to your question is ASA failed, they handed out a slap on the wrist instead of doing their job properly and launching a proper investigation.
I suppose we shouldn't be surprised Hammy given the ASA are funded by Advertisers!......

So many aspects of what we were being told was questionable at the time and with the way it has ended you feel you were right to doubt its credibility. One thing that always struck as duplicitous was the use of the ‘Down to Single Figures’ technique to try to encourage a dithering potential buyer to commit. Usually employed on bigger ticket items and particularly on watches. Pressure selling to those prepared to fall for it. Single figures? If even true, the information was useless without the real fact of how many did they have in the first place? 100? 1000? Or was it only ever single figures? Transparency in selling information was never really there with them. ’Technically Sold Out’ was another one. Apparently this meant the remaining stock was on hold to complete purchase in other customers’ baskets, but they may not complete the sale, so you can still buy? Buy the item already in somebody else’s basket? Buy one not in a basket (then surely not technically sold out ?) Who knows. Smoke and Mirrors selling or not selling. You felt in the end a view was taken that they could say whatever they liked and there was no absolute penalty to impose that would have any effect. The usual lame response for ASA on a proven mis-selling being ‘re-training requested’. Had they been taken off air for 24 hours as a punishment, they might have woken up a little and accepted customers need accurate and factual sales and product information to make an informed choice to buy goods..

Tommy K..Painter of Tights…er..Light…My mum used to get similar works of art free with six OMO box tops back in 1972…”Erm…YOU MUST INSURE this magnificent pis..piece of art.. £4.99 over Floor Flexies..I have several self-portraits of his hanging down in my back passage…I always told the Police I’d been framed…”.

There was another artist who used to feature on one of the channels, possibly IW, he was a wildlife artist, stuff was ok, but not my cuppa tea but I remember the ceremonial speeches about his work, how they were limited editions with a number on the back and that they came with a certificate of authenticity - I mean who cares? You'd either give a piece of art wall space or you wouldn't! Going off at a tangent I knew a woman who'd buy all this sort of thing and then frame the certificate and position it underneath the painting - WTF?! Same with those god awful collectible plates with dogs on them! Anyhoo, I can't remember this artists name. I remember that he appeared on one of the shows once and he was a really po faced curmudgeon.

I remember him, Merry…They usually had him on video link (two tin cans and a ball of string). Those shopping television paintings (particularly Tommy K’s) always reminded me of what was hanging on our walls in our two bedroomed council flat in Crouch End as I was growing up. Awful, gaudy, plastic gold frames with leopards or Spanish ladies trying to jump out at you. Or chocolate box idyllic scenes of brightly lit cottages like Kinkade’s works. Mum did actually get quite a bit of her ‘art collection’ via soap powders promotions, or equally from Woolies up the road. When she died in 2007, I remember having to clear all that tat..er..precious things she’d accrued.. Kinkade is also no longer with us. Dead at 54 according to Pickyweedia.

Do you believe in life after Ideal?
I can feel something inside me say
I really don't think you've saved enough, no
Do you believe in life after Ideal?
I can feel something inside me say
I really don't think you've saved enough, no
.....another one for the rubber head Cher tribute act (available for hire on four flexis) : I got you babe.

They say ideal didn't pay the rent
TV mum is stuck in Burnley in a tent

Our mate Ryan has got a lot
Me and Hayls just bought a microphone and a beat box

Ideal, we were shysters, we were shysters

.....another one for the rubber head Cher tribute act (available for hire on four flexis) : I got you babe.

They say ideal didn't pay the rent
TV mum is stuck in Burnley in a tent

Our mate Ryan has got a lot
Me and Hayls just bought a microphone and a beat box

Ideal, we were shysters, we were shysters
Dress rehearsal

7E23CFA4-B702-497D-9279-8EA1E271C5DF.jpeg

Latest posts

Back