Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Grant and Peter Simon selling the Honor phone for £199.99 doesn’t seem a bad phone.

But they touched on the screen being edge to edge and grant said well this phone phone has no notches like mine, which has a ridge at the top, which is a high end IPhone

I've an Honor 10, had Moto G4 before, and like it a lot. It's smaller at 5.8" (not into big phones) but if anybody is interested in a Honor phone, then I would recommend them. Decent phones and don't break the bank.

Couple of other things that annoys me with IW, one is when so called "experts", you know the ACTORS who don't actually work for the Company of product they are an "expert" for, but they wear that company's clothing (ie Polo Shirt) as Peter V is doing this morning with Flag/Roofix. To me wearing that Company's clothing is inferring that they are associated with that Company. I know folks here know they are just actors, but for casual viewers, they may not be so aware and assuming they are watching someone from the actually Company that really is Knowledgeable about the product.
The other thing is the continual nonsense of the presenters being worried about the stock selling out (I know it's a tactic to force undecided folk into buying), but what utter rubbish to say it as though they are truly worried/concerned, why the hell would a salesperson be worried about the stock selling out, that's their job for god sake to sell the stuff.

Yeah he's maybe exchanged selling tricks with Mike who loves doing the same thing (price comparison wide) with phones :)

Caught some of the drone show yesterday and yes, although he's maybe perfectly nice off camera, Richard is a difficult watch, too hyper etc even by IW standards. Sad thing is, talking about the cameras, as many people know there are vast differences in the quality output of HD cameras. Ok, the drones they sell might be decent enough feature wise for the price (not done any research though tbh) but PLEASE STOP the not so subtle selling techniques of comparing them with drones that sell for £750+. Drones that will, in general, be better in almost all if not all areas.

That's a match made in hell Mire & Mason, a show with that two in it would be putting my TV screen in serious danger of getting physically abused. :ROFLMAO:

Big collectables Show tonight, featuring those brands that every watch collector wants.

Thomas Earnshaw (Dartmouth Brand with load of heritage nonsense, Great London watchmaker, made in China)
Infinity (a new one for IW, another made in China pretending to be Swiss, very similar looking to Swiss Legend, probably made in the same factory)
Swiss Legend (Another of the Swiss made brands via China)
James McCabe (Another Dartmouth Brand with load of heritage nonsense, Belfast & London watchmaker, made in China, Will be interesting how a couple of their watches are described tonight. Although they have Ronda movements, it will no doubt be the Ronda movements that come from Hong Kong via Thailand)

And now for something better.

Spinnaker ( Although one of the Dartmouth brands, they do seem to be going in the right direction, and do have some decent watches in their collection these days, plus you don't get any of the Branding nonsense you do with others)

Yep, great list of collectable watches there, my mouth is watering at the anticipation.:ROFLMAO:

Although it has a decent 5 star TrustPilot rating of 69% (not all might be genuine) I note the Emma mattress also has a not insignificant number of poor and bad reviews. Most stating it starts to slump after x days/weeks use and, if they turn it, it's okay for another x days/weeks then needs turned again. One review said they were advised on contacting the manufacturer to turn it monthly (not over but around I think.)

Some also complaining about the chemical smell it gives off for the first few weeks, during which time it releases volatile gases from the glue used during the manufacturing process. Also a few people saying trying to get a refund is a nightmare. Some reviewers saying it helped with their aches and pains, others saying it made them worse or created them if they had none in the first place! Interestingly a few couples saying it made them roll together into the middle!

I have no direct experience of 100% foam mattresses however I do wonder if, to an extent, it's a gimmick? To me, a combo of pocket sprung and foam might be the best way to go. I still sleep on a metal sprung mattress and will be changing it in the coming year or so, so this sort of stuff is starting to interest me :)

As for the IW shows, I've not watched long enough to see of they state the mattress needs turned around every so often? I suspect they don't ;) Caught some of Haley selling it last night and you'd think it was a genuine miracle piece of foam the way she was bleating on about it!

Couple of other things that annoys me with IW, one is when so called "experts", you know the ACTORS who don't actually work for the Company of product they are an "expert" for, but they wear that company's clothing (ie Polo Shirt) as Peter V is doing this morning with Flag/Roofix. To me wearing that Company's clothing is inferring that they are associated with that Company. I know folks here know they are just actors, but for casual viewers, they may not be so aware and assuming they are watching someone from the actually Company that really is Knowledgeable about the product.
The other thing is the continual nonsense of the presenters being worried about the stock selling out (I know it's a tactic to force undecided folk into buying), but what utter rubbish to say it as though they are truly worried/concerned, why the hell would a salesperson be worried about the stock selling out, that's their job for god sake to sell the stuff.

100% agree with you. And they love stating how they bought what they thought would be enough stock to see them through the x days promo period but low and behold, only 3 secs into the first show and they're reaching limited stock.

Whilst we all (well most of us) know this guff isn't true, if it WERE true it wouldn't say anything to me other than 'gosh, what a truly cr*p buying department you must have if they constantly under-buy like this quantity wise.'

;)

Big collectables Show tonight, featuring those brands that every watch collector wants.

Thomas Earnshaw (Dartmouth Brand with load of heritage nonsense, Great London watchmaker, made in China)
Infinity (a new one for IW, another made in China pretending to be Swiss, very similar looking to Swiss Legend, probably made in the same factory)
Swiss Legend (Another of the Swiss made brands via China)
James McCabe (Another Dartmouth Brand with load of heritage nonsense, Belfast & London watchmaker, made in China, Will be interesting how a couple of their watches are described tonight. Although they have Ronda movements, it will no doubt be the Ronda movements that come from Hong Kong via Thailand)

And now for something better.

Spinnaker ( Although one of the Dartmouth brands, they do seem to be going in the right direction, and do have some decent watches in their collection these days, plus you don't get any of the Branding nonsense you do with others)

Yep, great list of collectable watches there, my mouth is watering at the anticipation.:ROFLMAO:

You'd better contact your insurance company now and advise them you'll be buying a few of these. Given the high insurance value they'll probably need a day or two to bring in their policy experts to ensure you're adequately covered. Also, given the value of the items, they'll want to ensure they're not at risk of going under if they need to pay out. So be a decent chap and give your insurance the heads up :) And don't be surprised if your policy goes up payment wise as they need to mitigate the risk they're now exposed to. I estimate your policy might go up by around £5,000 ... sorry to break that to you :(

Although it has a decent 5 star TrustPilot rating of 69% (not all might be genuine) I note the Emma mattress also has a not insignificant number of poor and bad reviews. Most stating it starts to slump after x days/weeks use and, if they turn it, it's okay for another x days/weeks then needs turned again. One review said they were advised on contacting the manufacturer to turn it monthly (not over but around I think.)

Some also complaining about the chemical smell it gives off for the first few weeks, during which time it releases volatile gases from the glue used during the manufacturing process. Also a few people saying trying to get a refund is a nightmare. Some reviewers saying it helped with their aches and pains, others saying it made them worse or created them if they had none in the first place! Interestingly a few couples saying it made them roll together into the middle!

I have no direct experience of 100% foam mattresses however I do wonder if, to an extent, it's a gimmick? To me, a combo of pocket sprung and foam might be the best way to go. I still sleep on a metal sprung mattress and will be changing it in the coming year or so, so this sort of stuff is starting to interest me :)

As for the IW shows, I've not watched long enough to see of they state the mattress needs turned around every so often? I suspect they don't ;) Caught some of Haley selling it last night and you'd think it was a genuine miracle piece of foam the way she was bleating on about it!

Of course Hayley loves it, her and Sean have two, don't think they would have paid for the first one though, probably a free trial one for Sean to be an expert guest on IW shows. ;)

Mattresses are a personal thing, what suits one person may not suit another, no matter how good the quality of materials may be and expensive is not always the best. Trial and error is the only way to get the perfect mattress for each person.

I've a problem with discs in the back and have struggled for years to get a Mattress that's right for me, until recently had a microcoil mattress but still had to be up early in morning as back would be aching and took about 5-10 minutes walking about for it to settle down. Recently got a Silentnight dual comfort (Firm one side / softer on other side) foam mattress, with and extra 2" memory foam topper, pretty inexpensive compared to other mattresses out there, but has been a treat since. Back no longer aching in the morning.:)

As for the turning, yeah it's the way they're made now that they only need to be rotated rather than turned over like mattress of old. Some mattresses are made to be slept on both sides and the turning helps it settle and over use on one side, a lot of modern mattresses are only design to be slept on one side. Foam mattressess will also lose approx 5-15% of their depth over time.
Also should be noted, that the 15 year guarantee, has limitations, ie it's only a full guarantee for the first few years, each year after that the value of the guarantee reduces so by the time you get to the 15th year, you'll have to pay 95% of any new replacement mattress. ;)

100% agree with you. And they love stating how they bought what they thought would be enough stock to see them through the x days promo period but low and behold, only 3 secs into the first show and they're reaching limited stock.

Whilst we all (well most of us) know this guff isn't true, if it WERE true it wouldn't say anything to me other than 'gosh, what a truly cr*p buying department you must have if they constantly under-buy like this quantity wise.'

;)

Quite right, in any normal business, if you are continually selling out your stock too quick, you increase your stock levels to cope.
You could forgive them when it's a new item where they would be unsure of how well it will sell, but with IW it's always with returning products which feature regularly, so any competent buyer would be aware that increased stock levels would be needed. It's shocking incompetent business practice if they don't.

You'd better contact your insurance company now and advise them you'll be buying a few of these. Given the high insurance value they'll probably need a day or two to bring in their policy experts to ensure you're adequately covered. Also, given the value of the items, they'll want to ensure they're not at risk of going under if they need to pay out. So be a decent chap and give your insurance the heads up :) And don't be surprised if your policy goes up payment wise as they need to mitigate the risk they're now exposed to. I estimate your policy might go up by around £5,000 ... sorry to break that to you :(

You forgot to mention buying a Safe to keep these luxury future heirlooms in. ;)
:ROFLMAO:

Personally, I'd be too scared to wear any of these masterpieces of horology for the simple fact that, among all the admiring/envious stares, they would most likely draw the wrong type of attention. I wouldn't want to find myself getting mugged for any of these exquisite timepieces. It's for that very reason that I'm forced to stick with my vintage Omega.

Okay, I'd get paid out on the insurance, but just imagine the frustration of having to wait the long months - perhaps years, perhaps never - for more stock to arrive (or Basel World to start operating again) so that you could buy a replacement?!

No, it's really not worth the risk. I think I would be safer walking about with a solid gold ingot on my wrist.

Swiss Legend is a £700 watch. :ROFLMAO:

"There no other watch show around the world tonight doing anything like this."

That's the most honest thing Peter Simon has said so far, I would bet my house on nobody else being able to come near beating the amount of crap being spouted (Even V channel doesn't spout this amount).:ROFLMAO:

Quite right, in any normal business, if you are continually selling out your stock too quick, you increase your stock levels to cope.
You could forgive them when it's a new item where they would be unsure of how well it will sell, but with IW it's always with returning products which feature regularly, so any competent buyer would be aware that increased stock levels would be needed. It's shocking incompetent business practice if they don't.
They are not really running out of stock - they just say it to increase urgency .
They know that if the viewers think about they will cool off , so they pretend that they have to buy now.
Same with all direct sales organisations.
I don't suppose they really stock anything , they just have a flexible arrangement with their suppliers.
If they really held stock and something was really selling out of it's own volition they wouldn't waste valuable air time pushing it , they would push the stuff that needed pushing.
Everything we see on the telly is an act , every word , every anecdote , every facial expression and every so called stock update is a contrivance to get the orders in.

They are not really running out of stock - they just say it to increase urgency .
They know that if the viewers think about they will cool off , so they pretend that they have to buy now.
Same with all direct sales organisations.
I don't suppose they really stock anything , they just have a flexible arrangement with their suppliers.
If they really held stock and something was really selling out of it's own volition they wouldn't waste valuable air time pushing it , they would push the stuff that needed pushing.
Everything we see on the telly is an act , every word , every anecdote , every facial expression and every so called stock update is a contrivance to get the orders in.

How DARE you, go wash your mouth out with soap! I for one believe every single thing they say. Yes, I might have bankrupted myself in the process (by buying dozens of watches and other collectibles as investment pieces) but I'm confident ... and I mean CONFIDENT ... that when I take all my stuff to an auction house in 30 years time, they will tell me it's all worth ...

... considerably less than I paid for it 30 years earlier :(

Jim Crawley on a Swiss Legend - "if you said to a friend that you paid £1500 for that, they wouldn't bat an eye".

You've got strange friends then, If I was your friend I would tell you you've been robbed and you're a (insert swear word here) idiot.

In a way it shows you the type of buyer they're aiming at in these shows. No one with an ounce of class about them would go about bragging 'yeah I paid £2k for my watch, £200 for my t-shirt, £400 for my jeans and £750 for my trainers. Folk as you say would just think 'twat' unless they were equally shallow and without any class.

In a way it shows you the type of buyer they're aiming at in these shows. No one with an ounce of class about them would go about bragging 'yeah I paid £2k for my watch, £200 for my t-shirt, £400 for my jeans and £750 for my trainers. Folk as you say would just think 'twat' unless they were equally shallow and without any class.
That would be a Porsche owner:unsure:

Latest posts

Back