Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Yes Sekonda's of old can be considered collectable. If I remember rightly there was a Sekonda dialled Strella, one of the most sought after Russian watches. The black cased one is a good looking watch, better than most IW ones, if a bit a Sinn 556 like. But an honest watch, tells you exactly what it is on the back. 👍

Yeah, still being sold on ebay, still popular.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114423104376

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114561952015

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133450773251

My dad had a Sekonda watch in the early 90s. It had crystals on the numbers and glowed in the dark.
He gave it to me in 96, loved it but sadly, the mechanism died on me at a Star Trek convention.

Strange is it, luxury creams on a shyster channel, but there again maybe they are not the luxury they claim, maybe it's just cheap stuff that's being sold at inflated prices and with even bigger inflated RRP's. ;)

On tonight' BLOCKBUSTER show

Elizabeth Grant Wonder Effect Retinologist Day Cream 50ml - £39.99 + £2.99 p & p

On Ideal World's ebay shop.

Elizabeth Grant Wonder Effect Retinologist Day Cream 50ml - £12.99 free p & p

A question for any Ideal world employee that may be reading here, If tonight's show on your channel is a blockbuster what does that make the your ebay shop price? And why are you not advising your viewers to go to your ebay shop to get an even bigger bargain?
But wait ... me confused!

I thought they always pretty much sell out of everything? So how do they have surplus stock to slap on eBay? Could it be they're not always 'sh1t-hot busy' as they like to infer? And how do they have ANY of this stuff left given it works miracles?!?!?

Jokes aside, the eBay find is a real eye-opener.

But wait ... me confused!

I thought they always pretty much sell out of everything? So how do they have surplus stock to slap on eBay? Could it be they're not always 'sh1t-hot busy' as they like to infer? And how do they have ANY of this stuff left given it works miracles?!?!?

Jokes aside, the eBay find is a real eye-opener.

It’s understandable they use different outlets to maximise the sale of products.

But, some of the prices on that eBay site are a real eye opener, and how they use these alternative outlets can also be an insight into the ethos/morals of Ideal World.

I remember checking on one of their price comparisons they often do, and they really made a big thing about how they were cheaper than Amazon for this particular product, as Varney says, Amazon are the biggest shop on the planet for God’s sake, and we’re cheaper than them, come on check out your baskets, but upon further investigation it turns out it was Ideal World’s own Amazon market place shop’s price that they were comparing with. So the price comparison was a total con.

But, back to eBay, now some of the stuff on that site is usually cheaper/reduced, due to being ex display, returned items from customers, but those Elizabeth Grant products I’ve highlighted are listed as brand new.

We are always told Elizabeth Grant prices on the Ideal World have been reduced massively from their true value, yet the eBay price is a fraction of even the TV price. One is given the impression that the TV price, because they buy and sell so many, probably has a small profit margin on it, hence the alleged great price, but given the price on eBay, it surely would lead us to conclude either the TV price is still way over it’s true value or they are selling on eBay at a loss way below cost price, and the latter makes absolutely no business sense, especially while it’s still being sold on a TV show, so we can only conclude the former is the true situation.

Of course there is one other option, unsold discontinued stock which they want to clear from warehouse, which as you have said is near impossible, as Elizabeth Grant, we are repeatedly told, always sells out. I can imagine being left with an odd one or two, but some of quantities sold on eBay are in the 10s, 20s, 30s etc for individual items, and as it’s still being sold on their TV shows & web site they obviously aren’t unsold discontinued stock. Of course, the selling out claim could be just another lie that we can add to the very, very long list of lies that are spouted on Ideal world.;)

My dad had a Sekonda watch in the early 90s. It had crystals on the numbers and glowed in the dark.
He gave it to me in 96, loved it but sadly, the mechanism died on me at a Star Trek convention.

Pity you didn't take to a watchmaker/repair place, they might have got it working again if it was mechanical or even been able to replace the movement if it was a quartz. ;)
I've had a couple of my late dad's watches for the last 30 years, he wore them in 70s and 80s and both are still working, neither has any real monetary value, in fact cost of keeping them going is more than they are worth, but they have sentimental value which out-ways any costs.:)

Jack the Lad on his chips - "Golden all the way round."

Sorry Jack, but don't look golden all the way round to me, look part dark brown and part white. :unsure::rolleyes:

"I'm going to put a little bit of sauce over the top"

Litte bit? He's drowned the burgers in sauce. :ROFLMAO:

It’s understandable they use different outlets to maximise the sale of products.

But, some of the prices on that eBay site are a real eye opener, and how they use these alternative outlets can also be an insight into the ethos/morals of Ideal World.

I remember checking on one of their price comparisons they often do, and they really made a big thing about how they were cheaper than Amazon for this particular product, as Varney says, Amazon are the biggest shop on the planet for God’s sake, and we’re cheaper than them, come on check out your baskets, but upon further investigation it turns out it was Ideal World’s own Amazon market place shop’s price that they were comparing with. So the price comparison was a total con.

But, back to eBay, now some of the stuff on that site is usually cheaper/reduced, due to being ex display, returned items from customers, but those Elizabeth Grant products I’ve highlighted are listed as brand new.

We are always told Elizabeth Grant prices on the Ideal World have been reduced massively from their true value, yet the eBay price is a fraction of even the TV price. One is given the impression that the TV price, because they buy and sell so many, probably has a small profit margin on it, hence the alleged great price, but given the price on eBay, it surely would lead us to conclude either the TV price is still way over it’s true value or they are selling on eBay at a loss way below cost price, and the latter makes absolutely no business sense, especially while it’s still being sold on a TV show, so we can only conclude the former is the true situation.

Of course there is one other option, unsold discontinued stock which they want to clear from warehouse, which as you have said is near impossible, as Elizabeth Grant, we are repeatedly told, always sells out. I can imagine being left with an odd one or two, but some of quantities sold on eBay are in the 10s, 20s, 30s etc for individual items, and as it’s still being sold on their TV shows & web site they obviously aren’t unsold discontinued stock. Of course, the selling out claim could be just another lie that we can add to the very, very long list of lies that are spouted on Ideal wor

Of course there is one other option, unsold discontinued stock which they want to clear from warehouse, which as you have said is near impossible, as Elizabeth Grant, we are repeatedly told, always sells out. I can imagine being left with an odd one or two, but some of quantities sold on eBay are in the 10s, 20s, 30s etc for individual items, and as it’s still being sold on their TV shows & web site they obviously aren’t unsold discontinued stock. Of course, the selling out claim could be just another lie that we can add to the very, very long list of lies that are spouted on Ideal world.;)
Comes back to the inflated RRP thing (watches) in a way. IW and let's face it other retailers, do this quite frankly stupid 'individual price' comparison to show how much you can 'save' if buying the collection. Okay, the arithmetic works out, if you buy the things separately it'll cost you £x more, however I'd love to know how many people are buying individual EG items for £30-40 when you know a collection offer set at e.g. £60 for 7 items will be along soon.

My point is the price you're paying for the EG collections is the true retail value of the product, otherwise they wouldn't/couldn't keep on doing it. The £30-40 per item is simply inflated nonsense. And as you say, they're maybe even making a slight profit on the eBay offerings, which simply affirms the true retail value assertion.

'You're SAVING £300!!!!!!!' they'll bleat.

No you're not.

Just heard Jack say, he Demos at Harrods at Christmas,
Let's keep on mentioning Harrod's, it'll really impress our viewers ...

Yes, the gullible/impressionable ones maybe. Tbh I couldn't give a flying f*** what Harrod's is selling. Fools and their money etc etc.

I've just flicked over and caught the last of the Herschel heaters show. I probably missed them saying how much better they are than those old ceramic heaters that you have to drag from room to room, but I'll take that as read. What I did catch was the Herschel rep saying that they work with solar panels and other environmentally friendly energy sources, really laying it on thick about how they care about the environment. But don't they just plug into your household plug socket? That's nothing to do with the heater being environmentally friendly, that's down to the energy supplier. If I plugged it into a petrol generator, it wouldn't be very green but it would work so does that mean I can blame Herschel for the fumes that the generator is giving off?

I've just flicked over and caught the last of the Herschel heaters show. I probably missed them saying how much better they are than those old ceramic heaters that you have to drag from room to room, but I'll take that as read. What I did catch was the Herschel rep saying that they work with solar panels and other environmentally friendly energy sources, really laying it on thick about how they care about the environment. But don't they just plug into your household plug socket? That's nothing to do with the heater being environmentally friendly, that's down to the energy supplier. If I plugged it into a petrol generator, it wouldn't be very green but it would work so does that mean I can blame Herschel for the fumes that the generator is giving off?
I'm a good person because I own an electric car. I'm saving the planet.

If the car is charged from an energy supplier that burns fossil fuel to create the energy that powers your electric car, then no you're not.

The Herschel infrared heaters show, actually had a salesperson from the actual company, is that a first, not to just have a actor

No, it doesn't happen very often but there have been quite a few that have worked for/owned the company behind the product.

The GX Pillow Guy
My Pillow Guy
The Guys from Steepletone (haven't seen them for a while)
Baby Fields (Director Swan & Edgar)
Jim Clawley (Sales Director for the Dartmouth brands, Earnshaw, CCCP, Nubeo etc)
Richard "the mouth" Mire
Ray "the walking dead" Kennedy
Peter McDermott (very odd appearance on the gardening shows)
Gillian Piper or whatever her name is (Elizabeth Grant).

Didn't included Cunningham or Reynolds, as they don't work for the Brands, the company they work for or own, has distribution deals with the brands.

There is probably one or two more, but that's all off the top of my head i can think of.

The rest are actors/media folks/freelancers which the Brands or Ideal World have hired to be pretendy experts to promote their products.

Then you have the companies that just rent air time and a presenter from Ideal World but provide a company employee as an expert, Ideal World don't actually sell the products.

Everest
The will, estate and pension folk

Latest posts

Back